Ladies...time of the month...feeling discouraged...

Options
Well, I am feeling a bit bad right now. I lost almost three pounds this past week after weighing myself. I've only been at this for about 10 days, and while I was happy with my most recent weigh-in, I am a bit frustrated now that I am on my time of the month. I pretty much went overboard yesterday and again today, and couple that with hormones...I'm just feeling really bad right now. I am now dreading my next weigh-in this coming Tuesday. Before my thing started, I worked out this past Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and yesterday. I didn't today because I tend to take a rest early on in my period because of the discomfort and hormones.

Does this time of the month get any of you other ladies down? How can I keep better control next time?

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i get TOM choco cravings and usually i have a couple of m&m's, then a plate of something else (celery and carrot or whatever) and more m&m's at the end. i'm full and th efirst and last taste is chocolate, so I kinda end up satisfied.

also, diet soda.

sometimes you just gotta work in a couple of cheats by spreading calories or doing more excercise - and i figure menstruating burns calories anyway :P

I don't know, i'm careful during and always keep losing right through, but cravings arent my biggest prob then, cramps are.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling right now because I'm holding on to water due to my period. I know that my weight gain is water, but it still bothers me.

As far as what to do about craving and that sort of thing ... I plan in things (add them to my calorie plan) that I'll want to have. For example, I'm having a vitatop with some fresh-ground peanut butter on top and some milk. Takes care of the chocolate and salt craving. Plan wisely and try to stick to your plan as much as possible. I also think that exercise (even a light walk) does help cramps and helps control cravings, so I try and get out to do something. Even if it's very light.

All best to you!
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    About a week before I get mine, there are two-three days where I feel like I want to eat everything in sight. I definitely feel like I eat more during my time of the month. It happens. Just realize tomorrow is a new day and start fresh! Also, I would wait until a few days after it ends to weigh in to make sure the water weight it down!
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    Stay away from the scale during that time.
  • oh_you_sassy
    Options
    I can relate, but what I usually try to do now is allow what I am craving, but in a smaller portion or form. For example, if I really want peanut butter or chocolate (or both!), I will get some granola bars or something that have those in them, but are in smaller portions than other options, and are easier to control. While ideally I would love to sit down with a spoon, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of Nutella and have at it, I just enjoy the granola bars instead. :)
    I also avoid the scale completely for 7-10 days. I know the numbers will be up, I know it will upset me, so I just can't do it to myself.
  • Frogoutofwater
    Options
    I lost about 35 pounds in 2010 and have been maintaining (give or take 5 or so pounds) since then. I noticed during the weight loss phase and during maintenance that my weight usually goes up 1-3 pounds when my TOM starts and I hold that weight for about 8 days. Then it falls off within the space of 24-36 hours. When I was losing weight, I'd see a monthly pattern like the following (assume Day 1 is half-way through the month). Week 1 - lose .5-1.5 pounds, Week 2 - lose .5 pounds, Week 3 (start of TOM) - gain 1-3 pounds, Week 4 - lose 2-5 pounds. Essentially, TOM masked a weight loss, which would become apparent about 7-8 days later. My weight did move down steadily (if you look at it on a monthly basis). I also find it helpful sometimes to check my hip measurement for reassurance during TOM. I might add.5 inch or so to my bust or waist when I'm feeling bloated, but my hips stay the same, so even if my weight is up and I feel like a blob, my hip measurement reminds me that this is temporary.

For cravings, I stock up on microwave low-fat popcorn and fat-free/sugar-free chocolate pudding. I try to eat healthy stuff, too (like fruit, sparkling water, veggies etc) at this time, but find sometimes that a little salty crunch (kettle corn) or chocolate sees me through.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the scale during that time.

i don't mind the number being up coz i know theres a reason. I find it easy to tell myself 'oh well it's your period. you still weigh what you did the other day, your period just weighs 2kg' or whatever. Maybe thats just me. It's a new development :laugh:
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    We know how you feel. Many of us feel off emotionally and have outrageous cravings. The bloating, cravings, sadness, crankiness, etc. Ugh. We feel awful, right? I dealt with it by planning one or two desserts. Usually a brownie sundae. I also was completely lethargic for a day or two and couldn't do a strenuous workout. I just had to accept that I'd have 2-4 extra pounds of water weight and want some sweets. Personally, I decided not to fight it. It would mess with my head too much if I did. I would plan it, eat it, enjoy it, but not let it turn into a third day of no activity and desserts. Some women fight it and don't give in to the cravings. There are threads about PMS all the time. Try searching and you'll find tons of tips and different ways of dealing with it.
  • kittybriar
    Options
    I am suffering through the same right now. I usually avoid the scale at this time and remind myself the bloat is normal. When i crave chocolate i eat a waffle with berries and sprinkle cocoa powder on top. That usually helps.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Do you know what your TDEE number is? If not, maybe calculate it and know that even if you eat UP TO that number, you shouldn't gain any real weight. TOM always makes me crave things and not feel like working out, at least for the first day. But even a light walk can help ease some pain. Maybe find something lower cal that is similar to what you're craving?
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    Thanks, girls. I am definitely going to try to get in some sort of workout tomorrow...probably will just be Pilates or a Leslie Sansone DVD, but it's better than nothing.

I had two bad days, but I will keep plugging and try again tomorrow. I'm also considering holding off my weigh-in for a day or two later than normal. Right now, I am still disappointed, but after reading this topic, I don't feel so bad.
  • xxtaliaxx
    xxtaliaxx Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm dealing with this at this very moment. I want the biggest piece of chococalte cake/muffin/cookie/anything and I'm stuck at work for the next 10 hours and I'm starving and irritated...And everything in our little snack room is sooooo bad for you. But as I was looking around, my eyes came across these 100 calorie Keebler Fudge Grahams. I took one bite of it and I melted in cookie bliss. I am satisfied...for the time being....:tongue:
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    People want to hide from exercise during TOM (which i totally get), but as a group fitness instructor I HAVE to go to the gym...they are expecting me there. LOL! And I always feel SO much better after a workout. Cramps/headache will be gone and I will have a bunch more energy....so even if you feel run down, I'd recommend maybe taking a class you really like. It's like natural TOM meds. :-)
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i get TOM choco cravings and usually i have a couple of m&m's, then a plate of something else (celery and carrot or whatever) and more m&m's at the end. i'm full and th efirst and last taste is chocolate, so I kinda end up satisfied.

That is such a good idea! I might try that next time, instead of inhaling 3 giant brownies...!
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can relate, but what I usually try to do now is allow what I am craving, but in a smaller portion or form. For example, if I really want peanut butter or chocolate (or both!), I will get some granola bars or something that have those in them, but are in smaller portions than other options, and are easier to control. While ideally I would love to sit down with a spoon, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of Nutella and have at it, I just enjoy the granola bars instead. :)
    I also avoid the scale completely for 7-10 days. I know the numbers will be up, I know it will upset me, so I just can't do it to myself.
    ^^ This... I never weigh in during TOM... why torture yourself? :smile:
  • tsmoore925
    tsmoore925 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ugh this is me right now!!! But I have the Mirena and my TOMS are messed up!! Sometimes I dont have one and but have the signs every month! This month I guess I am not gonna have one just the signs of it, have had signs all week and nothing. I was down 6 lbs and now I am up 2lbs, so only down a total of 4lbs! So discouraging!! I have sweet cravings I am wanting to give in especially when I see the scale go back up!! Ive been drinking all my water and watching what I eat and exercising!! Its hard to see the scale go up when Im not actually having a TOM!!!! :mad:
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    I don't notice my body changing that much when I'm on my period. I don't think I have food cravings, either. So maybe I just have good genes.

Everyone retains water on their cycle, though. Even if you don't notice it. My advice would be to drink a lot of water. Eight TALL glasses (easier if you have a water bottle with ounces listed so you can keep track!), if you're not a vegetarian go ahead and have red meat if you wish (the iron content will really give you an energy boost), and let yourself have some caffeine when you start to feel moody and irritable. Green tea that's not decaffeinated would be a good option.

Stay away from sugar and wheat during this time, as it will only bloat you more. Exercise as if you weren't on your cycle. It is a misconception that women need to "take it easy" during their periods ... exercise releases endorphins and will help you feel better mentally and physically.
  • AngieD2203
    AngieD2203 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just come on, and had all the right intentions to do my fitness today, went as far as putting my fitness gear on, then sat down...have eaten quite a lot of sugary treats/biscuits today and the last few days, but today this has taken me over calorie budget.....have to keep reminding myself I'm only human and I have to just take the good with the bad!
    Back on it tomorrow, and luckily I have had enough 'spare' calories over the week to cover my gluttony today :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    NO. Ever since i read an article that our bodies burn more cals at time of the month and if we just kept everything else on track it could work to our advantage, I don't feel that way during that time. I also don't weigh that often and so skipping that time is easy for me.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've been in this for over a year and still struggle... I took off exercising on Thursday just feeling awful & down..... It happens every month... I just go with it and push by way through as much as possible... I also drank like 90 ounces of water to help balance out the water retention.... Good luck to you!!