At A Plateau

Options
Hi, I'm a 21 year old active female, and I'm looking for some advice about "hitting a plateau". February 1st I started logging all my meals, snacks, and exercise with a goal weight of 115 lbs in mind. I'm 5'4 and my starting weight was around 124. It's been an entire month now, and my weight hasn't changed at all, except for a slight fluctuation between 122 and then back to 124. I have been eating 1,200 net calories most days, and exercising at least 4 times a week. I eat a very healthy balanced diet, I get a lot of rest, my stress level is very low, I don't smoke or drink, and I'm a generally very healthy person. Once I decided to lose a few pounds the healthy way I thought I would lose a couple pounds a week. Also, at the end of each day my app tells me, "if every day were like today, you'd weigh ___ pounds in 5 weeks." At first this was really exciting but the scale hasn't moved at all, and it's becoming discouraging. Can anyone tell me why I haven't lost any weight? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It is because you aren't eating enough food.

24 y/o female, 5'4", 124lbs your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is about 1385 [1]. You should not be netting fewer calories than this. This is the amount of energy you would need if you were in a coma to sustain your life functions such as respiration, circulation, processing of toxins, etc.

Your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is on the order of 2130 calories per day assuming a moderate amount of daily exercise [2]. Perhaps a little less if you have a desk job, or more if you're on your feet all day.

You should probably shoot for around 1700 calories per day for optimal weight loss. You can't accelerate things by undereating; you confuse your body, and basic metabolic processes start to get wonky because you're not taking in sufficient nutrition for the basics.

This is the single common-most problem on MFP, because it allows people to say "I wanna lose 2 pounds a week!" and the floor it will recommend is 1200 calories. That was not a customized number that was chosen for you. 1700 is!

Up your intake!

[1] http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    [2] http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and hit right under 125 a few years ago and was really thin, so why 115? Also, since that is so low and really close to where your starting weight is, it's going to be slow going. Make sure you're eating enough. Calculate your bmr and tdee and aim for more like .5 pound a week. And maybe work on strength/toning instead of losing the scale weight?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You're at a healthy weight already. Maybe some self acceptance would be better for you than weight loss.
  • KaitDW
    KaitDW Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of workouts you are doing you could be eating too little food. Also adding strength training may help. Especially if you are going for healthier rather than just a weight number.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and hit right under 125 a few years ago and was really thin, so why 115? Also, since that is so low and really close to where your starting weight is, it's going to be slow going. Make sure you're eating enough. Calculate your bmr and tdee and aim for more like .5 pound a week. And maybe work on strength/toning instead of losing the scale weight?

^^ this is also a good point; I didn't think very deeply about your height and weight. If you're looking to look better naked or fit into smaller clothes, then definitely start weight training - NROL4W, Starting Strength. Stronglifts 5x5, etc etc. This would probably help you achieve your actual goals rather than an arbitrary weight value.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Let me flesh out some of the answers here:

You are already at a healthy weight. For many people, if you try to lose weight by creating a very large deficit (1200 is usually too low for most people, save very, very short people and people who are obese), your body doesn't want to let you lose weight.

Your body may be quite comfortable with the weight you currently are, so what you might actually be looking for isn't the number on the scale but what your body looks like. In which case, you might want to start toning up by using weights without dropping your calories too low. If you really insist on dropping your calories, try this website: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/.

Fill in your information and go for the -10% reduction. This will make sure that you aren't creating such a large deficit for yourself and it will allow your body to lose fat instead of muscle (which is what you would lose if you went for a very large deficit like 1200). Toning up will also help you lose fat and give you more definition.

Wishing you the best!
  • aurorasitara
    aurorasitara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this advice! I guess more days I eat around 1,500 net, but since the app recommended 1,200, that's the number my mind has been stuck on. Thanks for putting it into perspective.
  • dancindoc508
    dancindoc508 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I started at 130 and I want to get down to 110. I understand the need to lose weight even though you are starting at a normal weight to begin with.

I would listen to the post above and use the TDEE-500 method. I think if you are starting out already at a healthy weight your body won't want to get rid of the excess fat and lbs because you barely have any. You need to eat above your BMR before your body allows you to shed extra lbs. While I was netting 1200 cals I lost 2 lbs really easily and then I stopped too. I increased my calories to 1565 a day (total-I don't subtract for exercise) and I've lost 7 lbs in about 4 weeks or so! It is also alot easier than trying to net 1200 on my rest days. Calculate your TDEE, use the right activity level (it will be tempting to use a lower energy level to eat less but don't do it), and i just substract 500 (which will equal a lb a week). So far so good. I am actually losing a little more than that!

I was skeptical at first but it works! Also, because I eat so many cals a day based on the assumption that I am going to work out 3-5 times a week, I make myself work out even when I don't want to.
  • nostgnebsj
    nostgnebsj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You are at a good weight for your height. However when I was your age I liked weighing 115 as well. I have small bones and and wanted to look firmer. There are a couple of things you can try. I just did a break your plateau program my trainer advised. I lost 8 pounds in 24 days. I need to lose about 10 more. The other option is to start a program to build more muscle and your body may not weight a lot less, but you may like the way you look better. I am on a muscle building plan with my trainer now for the same reason. To get more definition and not focus on the number on the scale. Let me know if you would like to know what he has me doing.
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat more calories to see if this is my problem. I gained 3 lbs in Feb. and lost only 1 lb net gain. I am frustrated and doing everything I can to get back on track. I had gastric bypass surgery but when I eat junk (like today-pizza) I have more success and eathing more calories.

I cut back on exercise from 4 days per week to 3 days, for 2 hrs each day. I find that I am more active with each ten or so pounds lost. Really hard to keep track of what I am supposed to do. I may be getting too much exercise like you but would love to weigh what you weigh.
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Am in the same situation you are in, though am not your age. I am 5' 4" and was 125 lbs when I started MFP end of Eebruary. I am already at my ideal weight, just want to tone up and get stronger. In the process, I do not mind dropping a couple of pounds, mostly some belly fat. You seem to be eating too less. I have already done that, so now am good, but continuing with the strength/circuit training and yoga.

Your daily calorie intake seems to be too less. You need to calculate your TDEE etc. Follow the Scooby calculator someone linked up earlier. My net daily calorie intake is about 1650 calories everyday and I workout six days a week, 46 minutes a day, and burn about 300 calories each day.

Even with all the food that I eat comfortably, I still find myself unable to eat up all the 1684 calories, so am thinking of upping my protein intake.

You are simply not eating enough and are depriving your body of fuel. Enjoy the weight you are in, eat comfortably and concentrate on toning up. Good luck!
  • aurorasitara
    aurorasitara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously pretty new to using the MFP website, and not sure how to reply directly to each person, but a huge thank you to everyone who's posted a reply. Most of these have been really considerate and helpful, and I appreciate the kindness :)
  • iluvmpiche
    Options
    Are you SURE? Maybe you've lost fat weight and gained muscle weight from the exercise. I'm going to assume you want to lose FAT, not necessarily weight. Did you take any measurements beforehand? Try logging those and see if you're losing inches versus losing pounds.

I'm the same height (5'2") and would like to be at 98 lbs. Before anyone freaks out, my bones are thin and I'm naturally going to weigh less than somebody with the same ideal bodyweight. I was at 98 some years back, but after breaking some bones and being barely able to move around for over a year, I put on weight. At 115, my weight is a bit too much on my weak knees, so for ME, I have to lose fat AND muscle.

So, I'm not sure what you're going for, but if it's just fat and inches, try focusing on measurements and see if you're making more progress than you think.

My body tends to do better when I "surprise" it, so I have one day a week where I eat as much of anything that I want, and it boosts my metabolism. With exercise, I never stick to a schedule because my body will get used to it and stop losing weight. I know a lot of people who are the same way, so maybe try that, too.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It is because you aren't eating enough food.

24 y/o female, 5'4", 124lbs your basal metabolic rate (BMR) is about 1385 [1]. You should not be netting fewer calories than this. This is the amount of energy you would need if you were in a coma to sustain your life functions such as respiration, circulation, processing of toxins, etc.

Your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is on the order of 2130 calories per day assuming a moderate amount of daily exercise [2]. Perhaps a little less if you have a desk job, or more if you're on your feet all day.

You should probably shoot for around 1700 calories per day for optimal weight loss. You can't accelerate things by undereating; you confuse your body, and basic metabolic processes start to get wonky because you're not taking in sufficient nutrition for the basics.

This is the single common-most problem on MFP, because it allows people to say "I wanna lose 2 pounds a week!" and the floor it will recommend is 1200 calories. That was not a customized number that was chosen for you. 1700 is!

Up your intake!

[1] http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    [2] http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

YUP!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm gonna say that since you're at ideal weight for you height (and based on you pic), then your expectations may be a bit skewed. Society has such a big influence on how a female "should" look and it's not realistic most of the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition