The Evil of Processed Foods - Can Someone Explain it to Me?

Options
Despite a ton of advice and apparent research indicating that a caloric deficit (that isn't so drastic as to lead to a downregulated metabolism) will inevitably lead to weight loss, absent hypothyroidism or some other medical issue. Now, what actually is lost is another matter (i.e. too much muscle along with the fat), but the fact is that weight loss will occur. Why then do I so often see people blaming processed foods as a reason for not losing weight or stalled weight loss? Is there some information I'm missing? I'd like to know because I do eat a lot of processed food - partly out of laziness and partly out of a relatively hectic schedule (though I plan to transition to more whole foods soon) - and want to understand the reasoning behind the this belief.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• beets_yum
    beets_yum Posts: 36
    Options
    When you eat whole nutrients (real food) your body is getting what it needs. You are sated with fewer calories. When you eat, for ex, a 100 calorie snack pack or a fat-free sugar-free yogurt you are eating a bunch of chemicals. It doesn't taste like real food. Sure, people live on that stuff for years and some (mostly younger people who can sometimes get away with it) are thin and maybe even fit, but for most people it's not sustainable over time. Most people tend to keep eating and eating. You are hungry all the time because you aren't satisfying any biological need.

Crating a calorie deficit is only one piece of the puzzle. Here's a mainstream refutation of the calories in/calories out myth http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500165_162-20093403.html.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't have much to do with whether you'll lose weight or not but more to do with nutrition and feeling satiated longer. Processed foods don't require as much time to digest so you'll be hungry again sooner and most are lacking in nutrition. There's also the fact that processed foods are usually carbs that just result in a sugar spike and can lead to more sugar cravings.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Highly processed foods tend to have less nutrition and more calories than whole or homemade foods. Processing takes most of the good out of foods, like fiber, and add bad things like extra sugar, fat, and preservatives. The manufacturer adds weird ingredients to "improve" texture, flavor, and color. If it was decent food to begin with, why would the manufacturer need to improve it?

I'm not saying that no one should ever buy processed foods. Let's face it, not everyone has the time available to make their own pasta, and sometimes you just might crave a hotdog. Just try to keep it to a minimum. Don't live on mac n cheese from a box and hamburger helper. It tastes like crap anyway.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Tons of sugar and sodium,not filling, very little nutrition.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Usually you'll hear this from most "naturalists" who believe that only eating whole foods leads to better health.

Personally I wouldn't substitute processed foods for my meals because I know that they lack nutrition value compared to whole foods. But I do still snack on processed foods in moderate amounts on a daily basis.

80/20 is the way I eat and have been that way for several years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dianatogo
    dianatogo Posts: 37
    Options
    Check the sodium content of your "quick" food. Sodium does affect weight loss.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I don't consider heavily processed foods as being evil, however whole, natural foods are just better value for your calories. I know that when I opt for fruit, veg, lean meats, fresh dairy etc I feel better, bloat less and perform better in the gym
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options

no, it really doesn't.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. Sodium merely causes water retention, which can mask any loss, but it doesn't.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    People tend to over consume foods that have the good and tasty sugar, fat and salt in them.....plus a brigade of PhD's and marketing genius's to make them more appealing than your first born. :happy: