Not sure if I should be trying to lose weight or not.

Options
To start off, I'm an 18 year old girl in my last year of High School.... I'm 5' 11" and I weigh 148 lbs, I'm a size 6-8 dress size. I'm on here because I feel like I should be 140 lbs at the least- I've been trying for over 3 months and I haven't lost any weight. Obviously I have my bad days but I never go over a net of 2000 calories.
So I'm thinking maybe my body is telling me I'm not going to be able to get any thinner, and that's frustrating to me because I weigh a lot compared to what I've been told I should weigh.... I know it's stupid thinking I should lose weight so I'm not heavy instead of how I look but I feel like I should weigh less.
I'm so confused. I've had slightly disordered eating in the past so I'm trying to not get back into that, but I'm feeling like I have to be in control of how much I eat. Part of my problem I think is when I have a day where I go way over my calorie goal, I'm extremely bloated in the morning, so then that day I'm motivated to stay under my goal so the bloating goes down.
Anyways, I don't know if any of that made sense and I apologize if it didn't, but I'd like your opinions on this. I don't know if I should stop trying to lose and just maintain, or what.
Thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    To me, you sound just fine for your height and weight. I think that yes, your body may be telling you it is fine.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Not sure how true this particular site is but http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/ideal_bw_women.htm

You sound like you're probably a good weight...maybe try just exercising and doing weights?
  • iwillwin1313
    Options
    I exercise and lift 5 times a week, sometimes I just don't log it.
  • tiggermamaof2
    tiggermamaof2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am one inch shorter then you and my goal is 145. I looked horrible at 132 at 5ft 10 in. if you are eating right and lifting weights and maintaining a healthy weight I would think that's a good weight. out of curiosity who thinks you should weigh less?
  • iwillwin1313
    Options
    Well I do, and my family is really pressurizing on being extremely thin. I run track, and since everyone on my team weight less than 130 lbs, even girls my height, they can't beleive I weigh so much.
    I don't know, when I think about my weight I feel sort of disgusting, like it needs to be a smaller number, even though I'm healthy. Does that makes sense?
  • tiggermamaof2
    Options
    well sounds like you might have some insecurities. I weighed 165 and people thought I weighed 125 because of how great I looked . you can bet I let them think that too:wink: people are not a good judgment of other peoples weight . don't let people pressure you to be thin. be healthy eat good food and enough calories.
  • tiggermamaof2
    Options
    and yes I understand that magic number on the scale growing up all my friends were short and size zeros. most were shocked gasp that I wore a 6-8. I remember thinking how I needed to lose weight to get to that magic number. but I am in my mid 20s now and there isn't a magic number. I still have trouble remembering that. I set goals and reevaluate .
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    You are already pretty thin. I am 5'10" and a "healthy weight" for me is 145-169.
  • iwillwin1313
    Options
    thanks for your guys' input :) I'm feeling better now. I'm just worried in a few days I'll get upset again and try to start losing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Well I do, and my family is really pressurizing on being extremely thin...

:noway: Your weight is just fine for your height - especially if you lift and you're an athlete. Maybe you could discuss this with your school nurse or family doctor. They can back you up when your family starts to bug you about your weight. It's got to be hard for you to deal with this kind of pressure from your own family. These are the people you should feel safe with. Have you tried talking to them about how their expectations are making you feel? Good luck and stay strong! :flowerforyou: