The dreaded night time cravings!

Options
nickyfm
nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
Lately I've really tried to alter my eating habits so that I eat more during the day, though I find that I'm really not hungry until nightfall.

I don't know about you guys, but I know when night time roles around for me, I really have to practice self control to not raid the cupboard looking for sugary snacks!
I've recently gotten better at controlling myself by eating fruit, or maybe one tea biscuit. But wow a few weeks ago I'd go somewhat overboard, and then wonder why i gained weight!

Does anyone else struggle a bit with the night time binge?

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    YES and it's just been in the last week or so. I don't know what the deal is, but it has to stop. I am feeling puffy, and my stomach is definitely bigger. Prob because all the snacks I eat at night are salty (chips, crackers). I just need to remain firm, and now that I have said that I have a problem here :happy: I can take steps to correct it. NO MORE EATING AFTER DINNER! If I am hungry I will drink a glass of milk or something...
  • tal202
    tal202 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. That is when I end up having melted cheese on toast or crisps or generally something naughty for me. My boyfriend finds it highly amusing when it hits about 10 pm when I start nosing around in the larder for something to much on. And then of course you go to bed and have no chance of burning off all the calories. I now tend to opt for a bowl of cereal if I am craving something sweet or have some herb & garlic Philadelphia on a couple of low fat crackers.
  • mbbrennan
    mbbrennan Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, i do...I have a terrible time staying out of the cupboard but keep working at it. :smile: :smile:
  • little_miss_very_bad
    little_miss_very_bad Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Absolutely - I have exactly the same cravings and only during the evenings - hence the weight gain!! I could happily not eat during the day but the evenings are another story - even if I've eaten plenty during the day. I've now started to allow myself one treat in the evening to satisfy my craving - 1 packet of baked crisps - the only problem is they're sooooo moreish...................lol!!
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely! Someone told me once that when the late night cravings hit to brush your teeth and that will help to curb your appetite. I find it really works! I usually have a big glass of water after that too and I find it settles my intense craving! Not to mention food never tastes quite right if you eat right after brushing your teeth!!
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't binge, but I found that when I get hungry at night an apple helps. Or sugarfree pudding is what I have been eating to help with the chocolate cravings.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I've started putting dinner time later, so I have less time and ability to do it! I also allow for a dessert of some kind, even if it's not the best choice and just a smaller version. I keep lil mini treats around and have 1 or 2 or them and put it in right away in the day. Probly not the best way of going about it, but I know I'm gonna want it, especially at certains times of the month :wink:

It allows me to have that and a better chance at not going over!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Those night time cravings are definitley AWFUL!! Brushing your teeth like emalay said is definitely one thing to do.
    Since I get those cravings a lot, I really try not to keep any sweets or junk food in the house! It prevents me from being able to dig in, and my husband doesn't eat them anyways! Money saved and weight controlled :)

Good luck girl!
  • ican♥and♥iwill
    ican♥and♥iwill Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    *RAISES HAND*

I'm guilty. I've been thinking about upping my calories because of this. I'm thinking maybe I'm just not eating enough during the day, so my body is telling me to eat more before I go to sleep and spend 8 hours of not eating...
  • ann2mauibeach
    ann2mauibeach Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Me too! I asked our dietitian at work and she said have something crunchy like baby carrots and warm tea. Nothing too sugary or that will trigger more cravings. She spoke of the sugar because I asked about putting honey in the tea. Not much honey if any. Hope this works for all of us! I haven't even been to the store yet to get my carrots!
  • tabbysue
    tabbysue Posts: 8
    Options
    yes, nighttime cravings get the best of me also. i have caught on so i am trying to prevent myself but ooo man its really hard, it truly tests ur self control. so good luck wit ur cravings, i thnk most ppl if not most females struggle with these also.
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Night time snacks were my first and hardest thing I needed to eliminate from my diet if I was to loose weight. I quit smoking 8 month ago, and I smoked more in the evening, so upon quitting I starting eating more in the evening. I made a rule for myself to not eat after 7pm, and it’s been really hard to keep! Not just salty or sweet snacks but late suppers at a restaurant, or even the post workout snack. I’ve found that in order to cope I inadvertently changed my sleeping habits, I now go to sleep around 10:30ish and wake up at 5-5:30ish. In doing this I now eat more in the mornings than in the evenings, and have the extra time for a quick morning workout before going to work.
    This solution obviously won’t work for everyone, but at least it’s an option.
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Daytime is not a problem at all. Night time, well that is another story. Sugarfree jello, pudding, or mousse in individual cups have helped. I save calories all day to make sure I can have one at night. A cup of warm water (as cold tends to make me hungrier) helps too. Great post! I would love to hear other people's strategies because it seems that these dreaded night time cravings are affecting many of us!
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that chewing gum REALLY helps (The biggest loser USA was on to something!)
    Either 5 gum or one of those Extra fruit chewing gums kind of satisfy your need for that sweet taste.

I also find that eating an apple helps too, alongside a glass of water
  • ridispesso
    Options
    Day or should I say evening 1 of my diet before the trip to the beach in 3 weeks (bathing suit ready I am not). I somehow managed to loose 4 pounds a couple of months ago, and then went on vacation, and voila those nasty pounds came right back. However, my point was that I lost 4 pounds during that time by not eating at night. But boy oh boy, 10 o'clock rolls around and I lose my mind, self-control, etc, and usually end up eating a piece of cheese or somthing worse. So tonight I'm going to try your suggestions (thanks everyone) - I'm going to eat an apple and a big glass of water if I need something. So now I have a plan to get me through. Wish me luck!!
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely have those nighttime cravings, too-usually for something sweet. I have noticed that I get more cravings, esp for sweets, the more sleep deprived I am. I usually stay up too late-that's when the cravings hit. I figure it makes sense-my body is craving a pick-me-up to fight fatigue. Speaking of which, I should get off here and go to bed now! :wink: