Hyperhidrosis (HH)

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hey friend I'm on the same boat as you. I've had it for a long time, probably since age 13. It's really tough to deal with and it took me a while to get use to and be comfortable.
    Recently I had 50 shots of botox in each hand which hurt pretty bad and I'm not very wimpy. It helped dramatically and was amazing. It lasts for about 6 months and was well worth it.
    Thats the only advice I can give and I had a pretty dramatic case of it.
    For my armpits, I use a product called HyperCare and it was prescribed by a dermatologist and completely got rid of that sweating.
    Both of my cases were severe and were not caused by anxiety or nervousness, just genetic makeup. It usually runs in the family through your fathers side.
    How long does it hurt after the shots in the hands? Thats a crazy amount of shots. Do you continue to get the botox?

Have you tried acupuncture?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have that, but I sweat like crazy, mainly my head and neck area. When I'm on a treadmill at the gym, I have to have a towel with me or I give the people next to me a shower. Sweat literally flies off me. I just wipe it every 5 minutes with a soft towel I bring with me. I also have rosacea, so when I work out, I look like I'm dying. <sigh>
    Add hotflashes to the above and I reallyyy look like I'm on the verge of death.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Both my daughters had it from about 15yrs old to 18 yrs old. It caused them a great deal of embarassment and anxiety. But at around 19 it seemed to become less of a problem.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have it. I don't think this is something people generally want to admit to. I don't care. I pretend I dont have it so it doesn't really hinder me. There are moments though where it just occurs for no reason and moments when it's nonexistent.
  • amberpitz
    amberpitz Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have it on my hands..there sweating as I write this haha
    I wonder if you can get botox injections on your hands
    Someone once told me if you pee on the sweaty spots then it will go away
    But no way am I trying that.
    LOL Please never pee on yourself..I dont know who told you that but they were either mean spirited or crazy...lol
    I dont know if the botox would help me or not..mine is pretty exsessive and my whole body is affected. I know about the keyboard..think at times I might ruin it...try to keep things dry but its crazy sometimes
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I worked in dermatology for many years and we used to inject botox in axilla, hands, feet, and forehead for sweating too. There are pills, lotions, roll on and surgical treatments...get a good derm....one that focuses on skin health and not on cosmetics...then get some help! Makes life easier if you can raise your arms, not wear 2 or 3 shirts at a time, shake hands, ect... Good luck to you!!
  • amberpitz
    Options
    Hey friend I'm on the same boat as you. I've had it for a long time, probably since age 13. It's really tough to deal with and it took me a while to get use to and be comfortable.
    Recently I had 50 shots of botox in each hand which hurt pretty bad and I'm not very wimpy. It helped dramatically and was amazing. It lasts for about 6 months and was well worth it.
    For my armpits, I use a product called HyperCare and it was prescribed by a dermatologist and completely got rid of that sweating.
    Both of my cases were severe and were not caused by anxiety or nervousness, just genetic makeup. It usually runs in the family through your fathers side.
    How long does it hurt after the shots in the hands? Thats a crazy amount of shots. Do you continue to get the botox?

No...never thought about it. Who would know about acupuncture for HH? Do you have any info that you could share?
  • amberpitz
    Options
    I have the exact opposite problem. I don't sweat at all. Not even in the hottest, humid weather. Means I have to really work to stay hydrated as I don't notice it like I would if I sweated.
    I have never heard of that. Thats interesting to find out.I have to work hard at staying hydrated as well but just because of the loss of fluids from all the sweating. Do you find you overheat?

I have the same thing---have never "worked up a sweat" in my life. I always figured it had something to do with being hypothyroid (which I am). I overheat badly--have all my life. Once, when I was a kid, on a hike at Girl Scout camp, during very hot weather, I passed right out. I told my scout leader that I didn't feel well and she observed that I was totally red all over my body but said I should keep going anyway. About a minute later, I passed right out--I'm lucky I didn't suffer severe heat stroke--which can be lethal. The other girls poured their canteens of water on me which is the correct treatment for heat stroke. I've always been very careful since. The only exercise that I tolerate well is in the water.
    I think that condition would be hard to live with as well. Also much more dangerous sounding. I have thought I was going to have heat stroke a few times in my life. I dont tolerate the heat well since I feel hot most of the time.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Girl i think i might have that!!!
  • amberpitz
    Options
    I don't know if I have that, but I sweat like crazy, mainly my head and neck area. When I'm on a treadmill at the gym, I have to have a towel with me or I give the people next to me a shower. Sweat literally flies off me. I just wipe it every 5 minutes with a soft towel I bring with me. I also have rosacea, so when I work out, I look like I'm dying. <sigh>
    Im so afraid of getting hot flashes. Im so hot most of the time already that I think I might just combust and burn away..lol
    Im proud of you for going and working out in public..it is hard to feel normal when you have to deal with that. It can be localized to your face and head only..mine is all over
  • rowski1212
    Options
    l have a friend with this condition. I sympathize with you. She realized it was healthier to exercise deal with it at that point in time and feel better later. both mentally and physically!
  • amberpitz
    Options
    I have it. I don't think this is something people generally want to admit to. I don't care. I pretend I dont have it so it doesn't really hinder me. There are moments though where it just occurs for no reason and moments when it's nonexistent.
    Yes mine "turns off" for periods of time.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Im so afraid of getting hot flashes. Im so hot most of the time already that I think I might just combust and burn away..lol
    Im proud of you for going and working out in public..it is hard to feel normal when you have to deal with that. It can be localized to your face and head only..mine is all over
    I can't even imagine having it everywhere. It's stressful! I'm seeing a dermatologist for a rash on my arms, hands, that he thinks is a fungus. It sucks to have diaper rash on your arms because you're always sweating! I just can't get over the fact that my body is so sweaty, in winter, to allow that 'stuff' to grow. I have to blow dry every body part after showering, before I can put any clothes on, or they get soaked. Ugh. One more annoying thing to deal with. Oh well, like they say, it can always be worse. At least I am able to exercise, some can't.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options

My face sweats and I don't have rosacea, but my face and neck go tomato-red when I work out hard. So when I go to the gym (I mainly workout from home) people look at me like I might drop dead any second... either than or I look like a machine.
  • FlippinNora
    FlippinNora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hiya, I get this on my head terribly. It is extremely embarrassing especially when I'm having a bad time with it. My hair is soaked and dripping everywhere - hoping weight loss will help...
  • gleelouise
    Options
    I have this, just hands and feet. I hate it, but don't want to have the surgery to correct it. Makes life pretty difficult but there are so many people with worse problems that it makes mine seem simple.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I had a boyfriend who had it on his hands and feet. Back in the mid 80's, he was prescribed "Drysol" which was a solution he would apply to his hands and feet, then enclose the area every night. I don't remember how often he had to do it.

http://www.amazon.com/DRYSOL-Dab-35ml-Antiperspirant-Solution/product-reviews/B003HU6QJE
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

No...never thought about it. Who would know about acupuncture for HH? Do you have any info that you could share?

Something stuck in the back of my mind about it--I think my friend had it done, as I recall. Anyway, here's a link to an outfit that claims that acupuncture can help: http://www.myexcessivesweating.com/hyperhydrosis-acupuncture.php

If I were you, I would certainly try it before I did something more invasive (the surgery where they implant something in your chest sounds creepy). Good luck! :smile:
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have the exact opposite problem. I don't sweat at all. Not even in the hottest, humid weather. Means I have to really work to stay hydrated as I don't notice it like I would if I sweated.
    I have never heard of that. Thats interesting to find out.I have to work hard at staying hydrated as well but just because of the loss of fluids from all the sweating. Do you find you overheat?
    Yes, and very quickly, but I don't realize it unless I keep track of what time it is, how sunny it is, how warm the temp is and how long I've been out and about.