Runners, I Need Help! Can't get past 11 miles

The more I run, the worse I get. I'm training for my first marathon; it's at the end of April. I was doing well with the program, but now I'm terrible. Getting through 11 miles last week was torture, and I was suppose to do 13 miles yesterday, and I only did 5!...and I walked a lot during it. I've done half marathons before without having to walk a step, but all of the sudden, I've hit a wall. I can't get through six miles some days. What's happening to me???

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Were you eating at a deficit during your previous training for your HMs? Are you eating enough to fuel your running now? What's your daily calorie goal, and are you eating back your exercise calories?

When I first started trying to lose weight, I set things up to lose 2 pounds a week. Started training for a half marathon, and it was soon very clear that I wasn't eating enough. I switched to 1 pound a week, ate back my exercise calories, and did much better. Now I'm training for another HM, have less to lose, and have gone to half a pound a week loss.
  • I'm definitely eating...too much, in fact. But I need to make sure to eat the right things.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    What is causing you to stop - what specifically is bothering you and how?
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    How long has it been happening?

sometimes I just get into a funk - it lasts one to three weeks, then goes away

I just use them as "half-rest" weeks and try not to let it bother me.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    I think you are depleted...if you have been doing long runs, I am wondering if you've been "feeding" early in runs.

When I run past 11 I must supplement with Gu. I start with Gu early - miles 4 or 5 - Are you taking "food" for runs past 11? I have run 3 marathons and several half marathons - Gu works very well for me and several endurance athlete buddies of mine. In the old days (before Gu) I would take a handful of butterscotch hard candies and start sucking on one early and then pop one every few miles past 10. It's critical to get extra sugar as you get into deeper territory. At the very least, good ole Gatorade is helpful. If you go on a long run, stash bottles in the bushes before you set out. Gu is great bec you can tuck them in your shorts or running bra. My favorite is 'espresso love' and 'chocolate outrage' is pretty great too. Since I've been on a mission to lose weight, I haven't used Gu but I also purposefully haven't ventured past 10. I can't cut calories and train long. But, once I hit the goal weight, it's Gu time!

BTW-- great marathon book - "Making the Marathon Your Event" by Benyo. Old text but tried and true. Used either the 20 week or 16 week programs in the book for each of my events. Tons of tips that you wouldn't happen upon otherwise.

Good luck!
    Which marathon? (I'm doing Nike DC 1/2 in April.) I haven't picked my next [full] marathon---still mentally scarred from the hills of Madrid! (Tough one!)
  • Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Back when I was an active runner I'd have days and weeks like that. Sometimes your mind and body just craves some low mileage time. If you aren't being paid to run, I'd recommend not to force it. When I felt like you, after a while I learned to notice when those times were coming, I would either do interval sprinting for a couple workouts or do some "grass drill" type circuit training. Sometimes it would be crazy high intensity and others it would be much lighter but for stupidly long periods of time. I just kinda went with what my body was telling me.

Missing a training run isn't the end of things and you mini wall here doesn't signal that you can't do it. You've got a neat opportunity to discover ways to mix up your routine!
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    One more tip - Just read Zosimah's post - your mind can play tricks on you. Take advantage of using an ipod to get lost in a story (NPR This American Life is my favorite podcast) or in music...might get you over the hump...also, for me, it's critical to run first thing in the morning to get most out of my body.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    How many days/miles a week are you running? What is your pace for long runs? You should not run faster than planned marathon pace +20 seconds per mile. Slower for the longest runs at first. Try running at a relaxed slow pace for your long runs until you feel stronger.

It is difficult to train for a marathon while dieting. Calorie restriction and long distances don't mix well. 11 miles is about my limit on ad deficit as well.
  • First of all, I'm extremely appreciative for all of the great advice. Second of all, to answer some questions, I'm only on week 8 of a 4 month program, this past week put me at 35 miles. My mid week runs average between 6-7 miles. I'm slow, so for a long run, I'm averaging between a 9-10 min mile, but when I do sprint training, I can get my mile to 7 minutes (that's a big deal of this girl). I'm eating baked oatmeal thirty mins before I take off and drink a protein shake after. If I have a short run (4 miles) I can average an 8 min mile consistently. Schedule: Monday-rest, Tues 6-7, Wed 4-5, Thurs 5-6, Fri rest, Sat (long run 10+), Sun 3-4. The miles increase as the weeks progress.
    No, I'm not taking food or energy boosters with me; I'll start doing that. My mind just says, I'm done. The feeling is exhaustion, and I just have to stop. I get emotional, frustrated, and just want to give the entire dream up. But thank you to those who said this normal and it's not a big deal to let one week fall to the wayside. It makes me feel human.
    I'm also starting to see that I might need to do some homework on this subject.

The marathon is schedule for the last weekend in April. It's the Camp Casey 1/2 or Full Marathon here in South Korea. Last year, my husband and I did the half marathon, so I know the course, and I made it a goal to do the full one this year.

Thanks again, everyone!!!
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    A few weeks back my training was becoming a drag. It was getting to the point were it was more like work than fun. So one week I completely went against my training schedule and did what I wanted to do. I put on my music, left my watch at home and just went for several fun runs. I was not concerned about time, tempo, mileage or anything else. I just went out and ran however I felt like running. On the last fun fun run I ran 20 miles. The fun run was suppose to be no more than 8 miles. When I got home I deleted all eleven of the races I had scheduled for the year and decided to run races as they came up. I love running again. I'm running the L.A. Marathon in two weeks with the hope of qualifying for Boston. But to tell ya the truth I will not always run races for PRs. I'm going to run races because I love running and if I happen to PR great....if not oh well. Try to take some pressure off yourself and just run for the heck of it for a few days. Maybe you will get your focus back.
  • alanlmarshall
    First of all, I'm extremely appreciative for all of the great advice. Second of all, to answer some questions, I'm only on week 8 of a 4 month program, this past week put me at 35 miles. My mid week runs average between 6-7 miles. I'm slow, so for a long run, I'm averaging between a 9-10 min mile, but when I do sprint training, I can get my mile to 7 minutes (that's a big deal of this girl). I'm eating baked oatmeal thirty mins before I take off and drink a protein shake after. If I have a short run (4 miles) I can average an 8 min mile consistently. Schedule: Monday-rest, Tues 6-7, Wed 4-5, Thurs 5-6, Fri rest, Sat (long run 10+), Sun 3-4. The miles increase as the weeks progress.
    No, I'm not taking food or energy boosters with me; I'll start doing that. My mind just says, I'm done. The feeling is exhaustion, and I just have to stop. I get emotional, frustrated, and just want to give the entire dream up. But thank you to those who said this normal and it's not a big deal to let one week fall to the wayside. It makes me feel human.
    I'm also starting to see that I might need to do some homework on this subject.

The marathon is schedule for the last weekend in April. It's the Camp Casey 1/2 or Full Marathon here in South Korea. Last year, my husband and I did the half marathon, so I know the course, and I made it a goal to do the full one this year.

Thanks again, everyone!!!

Sounds like you are running about 5 days a week. Only do three hard runs a week. On the other days run easy, or better yet imo, crosstrain. You can crosstrain more intensely than an easy run, but still don't approach the intensity of your main workouts.

Are you saying you sprint a 7:00 mile? That's impressive, first of all. If so, you can actually do faster long runs when you are feeling better.

If you do 7:00 pace on a 400m sprint, your long runs should be at 9:30-9:45ish early in your training.

You might consider doing a time trial so you can be more certain that you are training at the best intensity.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Do you have to do a marathon at this time???? maybe you're just feeling stressed and nervous and your body is reacting, can you change it to a 10K or a half marathon??? don't beat yourself up over it, your body can only do what it can do at a given time. Congrats to you for forging ahead! :drinker:
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    I agree with the comment about cutting down to 3-4 runs a week and incorporating cross-training.

I haven't done a full (yet) but in training for my last half I cross trained with CrossFit and saw some definite benefits from doing both.

Good luck!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Eat.

Longest I've ever run without some sort of boost is 7 miles. Any further than that, and I need a Gu packet or some other calorie source. Just be sure to eat before you think you need it - it takes a good mile or so before you feel better.

On the longer runs, I was averaging 12 min/mi. At that pace, I found that a Gu packet at miles 4.5/5 and 9/10 got me through half marathon distances.

Note: I've tried gels like gu, chewies like gu chomps and clif blocks, and sport beans. Can't hurt to try them all, some may work better for you than others.
  • rancid2040
    rancid2040 Posts: 8 Member
    2 things:

1) Make sure you aren't overtraining. (Obvious, since you've done halfs in the past, I'm sure you already know about this.)

2) Are you hitting the wall? It is an amazing kick to the face if you've never hit it before, and I didn't get it until I was marathon training. Read this for more info: http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/latta.htm

It's basically describing the switch your body has to make on the fly from using stored glycogen, to whatever it can find (I think fats are the first choice).

It's a pretty much guarantee you'll hit it in the marathon. You push past it. (Note: be absolutely sure you aren't pushing your body beyond something else like serious fatigue, etc.).
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I had this issue (well, an issue - I was totally wiped at 10 miles - felt like my body parts were someone elses...hard to explain). I discovered that I was simply not strong enough to pull those extra miles so I began weight training to build strength. Perhaps you could try it?

In 4 weeks of weight training I have improved my average pace, but haven't tried for the disitance yet - I am planning on giving it at least 2 months of weight training before I hit the distance run again. I read a lot on this and think it will be very helpful.
  • Once again, I am completely moved at everyone's advice. It really does make me feel normal instead of an utter failure. I do think I am putting too much pressure on the running, making it not as fun as it used to be. I like the idea of leaving the watch home and just going for it. I do cross train on my days off; I'm a fitness instructor, so I use the classes I teach for that opportunity. And, of course, I love that everyone says I need to eat. Telling me to eat is the best advice I could hear ;)

I've got some 10Ks coming up, and I'll make sure to run them for fun. I won't act like my schedule is the holy word, I'll remember why I made this a goal in the first place, and I'll incorporate some weight training. Thanks, everyone, I am so grateful!!!
  • spa9177
    spa9177 Posts: 327 Member
    Yeah you definitely need to take a bottle of water and GU with you. It will help keep your energy going, and take one every 4 to 5 miles. Also get a fanny pack to keep your GU in, sporting good stores have a lot of flavors that are pretty good try a variety to see what ones you like. I ran my first marathon last October so I know what you mean, there were weeks when I was suppose to run a certain milage and didn't, because I didn't have the right nutrition to help. Good luck!
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Make a concerted effort to run at a slower pace until you feel comfortable breaking the 11 mile barrier.
  • emelia_
    emelia_ Posts: 91
    I would suggest maybe splitting up your long run morning and night if you absolutely can't do it all at once (I've had quite a few days where I give up at mile 8 or 9) But if I can add on 4 or 5 more miles in the evening I feel much better and less defeated the next day.

If it's that you're feeling sluggish from the food you're eating I would try switching to having lunch as your big meal of the day. This really helped me out when I would wake up to run in the morning, I felt a lot less heavy on my feet.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Are you cross training?! That's super important to keep your body going, running is tough on the body and its very important to do some sort of cross training atleast 2x a week. Jump rope stationary bike swimming etc. It gives your body a well needed break and also helps prevent injury. Rest days are great, but doing the same activity day in a day out will deff take a till on your performance. Try running 3x a week and cross train 2x a week. Be sure to listen to your body, it may be telling you something.
  • alanlmarshall
    I've got some 10Ks coming up,

Tell us your 10K finish time and someone can calculate a long run pace goal for you.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I'll bet you are running too hard every day. Easy runs need to be at around 75% max heart rate (MHR) and below. If you are running them harder than that then eventually the body is overwhelmed and cannot recover from run to run.

If you have a heart rate monitor then run at 75% MHR or below until you feel better. Also, drop the speed work until then. At that intensity you can probably keep the distance up.

I expect that if you do this you will feel better within 2 or 3 weeks and runs will once again be going well.

If you have to slow down at that heartrate then slow down. You will improve better running at the correct intensities than you will if you try to push the pace all the time.
  • Will do, thanks!
  • spartanseven
    spartanseven Posts: 1 Member
    So the Casey marathon is happening? I have been looking all over the Casey and Red Cloud pages trying to find some information on it, and how to sign up. I am at Humphreys. Let me know if you have any registration info please.