Zumba - Help please..

Options
Amy2201
Amy2201 Posts: 14 Member
So I saw people on here talking about Zumba and I was like "What is this?". So I checked out the website and it seems fairly resonably priced.
The only thing is I am slightly skeptical..

If anyone has or is doing the whole Zumba thing, can you let me know how its going? I does look really fun but I want results so I want to hear from real people doing it rather than the promotional videos on its website...

Thanks!

:)

Replies

• Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I started ZUMBA four weeks ago and i love it!!! u can really let yourself go and its soo much fun!!!...if you put alot of effort into it you can burn 500 cals an hour... and the good thing is that your having so much fun that you forget that this is a 'work-out'...
    I say go for it! u never know until u try! goodluck!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun and a great cardio workout. It will get your heart rate up. But there weren't any crunches or strength training exercises in any of the classes I've been to.

The best exercise is something you'll enjoy and keep doing. So why not check out a class and shake your bootie? If you like Latin music and dancing, you'll like zumba.
  • terib67
    terib67 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I took Zumba for 9 months, I LOVED it. I even got to teach the class when my instructor couldn't be there. Health reasons, namely severe headaches made me have to stop strenuous excercise, but everything Louise said is true. It's fun, it's a fantastic workout, and don't be afraid if you don't feel very coordinated at first. You'll get the hang of it! What I would recommend if you can is that you go to an actual class. Being in that group atmosphere is so fun! Good luck!
  • Amy2201
    Amy2201 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will, I mean.. it's £25 ish so it's not breaking the bank,so I might as well.

:)
  • jmjones2002
    Options
    I bought the dvd's and just got them in the mail a few dys ago..My daughter and I love it..She's 11yrs old so she loves the whole dance thing..I get winded after 20mins if not sooner..lol I found a gym where they teach it at it but it was 40.00mth so we decided we'd do it in the privacy of our own home..You should def. try it..It's not your typical workout dvd but you'd be suprised how many cals you can burn while dancing..Good Luck!!
  • mthomas25
    mthomas25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am an instructor! I have been teaching for a year and a half now. I had my 3rd baby in september 2008 (I was 211 lbs) and took my first class that December (185 lbs)! I was ADDICTED!!!! I was a certified instructor and had my own classes by Feb 2009! ZUMBA IS SO FUN! Regardless of your athletic ability or age. Zumba is meant to get you moving and sweating. If you're going left and everyone else is going right.... who cares?! If you're moving and having a good time then you are doing just fine! Try it! My suggestion is to give yourself some time to get used to it. Zumba as you know is based on Latin music. So unless you dance around to latin music in your home right now, it may seem a little different at first. Take your time and come back for more. The more you do it, the more you'll be used to doing the moves and you'll start to recognize the songs. I can't say enough about it! I LOVE ZUMBA! Try it and make sure to tell me how you like it!
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Zumba is SOOOOOO MUCH FUN!!! I would encourage you to try a class in your area first if possible. Although I hear it is fun to do the DVD, I know that it is more fun in group... It is a PHENOMENAL workout!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Amy, check your local community centers for Zumba classes. They are usually a lot cheaper (or even free)
  • evanlyn
    evanlyn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Amy, check your local community centers for Zumba classes. They are usually a lot cheaper (or even free)

I think Zumba is a newish import to the UK so I'm not sure that there are many classes on offer. I'd never heard of it until a few weeks ago when I saw it mentioned here on the message boards. But yesterday I noticed a poster advertising that classes are starting in my gym. Everyone here has been so enthusiastic about it I might give it a go.