What's a reasonable amount of weight loss to expect?

Options
With the combination exercise and reduced calories. In a month, two months, three months?

I'm 6 foot, 88kgs (194 lbs), I do about 2 hours of exercise a day (aiming for about an average of an hour of cardio a day, and either pilates or yoga), and eat around 1200 calories.

My ideal weight is 75kgs (165 lbs).

Replies

• Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Probably a lb a week to start with and half a pound when you get nearer your goal.
    Great to look at your non scale goals too, fitness increasing and your body measurements.
    It is good to have mini goals along the way to work towards too.
    Wishing you lots of success in the days ahead.
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    P.s. I am hoping that 1200 a day is your net calories so after taking into account your exercise ? You would need to eat more than that a day if you are doing a lot of working out.
  • King22046
    King22046 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jane. 1200 is too low for you right now. What does MFP suggest?
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    i lose about 1-2 lb a week im feeling ok
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    With only 30lbs to lose, being relatively close to goal, you should probably expect that there will be some weeks that the scale will not move at all. I think that tracking things like body measurements and bodyfat% and other non scale things is a better approach at the point you're at and the motivating factor to be that you're doing all the exercise and healthy eating for a healthier body on a whole. It's better to be your 194 and active than your goal of 165 with no activity. Also I agree that hopefully that 1200 cals is net, not total for the day.
  • profesorakate
    profesorakate Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, 1200 cals net give or take a couple of hundred depending on the day.

I also measure. And one of my goals is to lose body fat, but have no idea how to measure it!? Nor do I have in mind what would be a realistic goal. Any online calculators? Or does it have to be done with calipers by the doc? I would love to see my abs at some point in 2013. I've already noticed a huge difference from the exercise (started working out regularly about 2 years ago), even when I was a lot heavier (100kgs). In general, my body shape has changed a lot and I'm much more balanced (no weight carried in one particular body area).
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your gender, current body weight and body fat. In general it best to loose only 1-3 lbs a week at most, so 4-12 lb. a month. That's because you want to maintain the weight loss by continuing to eat and exercise in a way that becomes a life style, and not a quick fix that back fires within a month due to over exercising and malnutrition (starving yourself)!

Here's a great link with a lot of details: http://www.livestrong.com/article/28505-normal-weight-loss-per-month/

I just want to add that I've found out that maintenance is the hardest part, well at least in the beginning. After you get to your goal you need to increase your intake gradually while reducing your cardio and increasing your strength training.

Best wishes for you on this journey, it is totally doable!! Just concentrate on the big picture: the healthier lifestyle rather than feeling your doing all this work, sacrificing for the scale to go down. This will be discouraging because naturally your weight will vary so the scale will go up and down - do measurements now - and every month to see the real results.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am similar size and weight and have been on MFP for 2 months. Target is 1800 calories per day net (which is easily achievable once you learn to eat smarter calories) and I don't exercise quite as much as you. I have lost 18 pounds in exactly 2 months and the decrease has been fairly consistent.

p.s. I also don't feel I'm that hungry either.

Best of luck.

Pete
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I also measure. And one of my goals is to lose body fat, but have no idea how to measure it!? Nor do I have in mind what would be a realistic goal. Any online calculators? Or does it have to be done with calipers by the doc? I would love to see my abs at some point in 2013. I've already noticed a huge difference from the exercise (started working out regularly about 2 years ago), even when I was a lot heavier (100kgs). In general, my body shape has changed a lot and I'm much more balanced (no weight carried in one particular body area).

just seen your posting, right after I posted my answer - do you belong to a gym, they can do your measurements there, if not maybe do a free trial at a gym (but don't join - if you don't want to/ need to ). and get them to do the assessment - yes you will need to go through the sales pitch but it would be worth it.

You can go to on-line sites like http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options

Do this: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    Then this: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ibw/

To see your abs you're going to have to go very low in body fat %...
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options

You can go to on-line sites like http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/

You have to do the military one. I accidently did the reg body fat calc and it told me my % was like 27%. I weigh over 300lbs. Not even close...
  • profesorakate
    Options
    Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I'm a girl, btw. Also, to see abs, I think I meant more that I'd like to have a flat toned stomach. I don't like the look of a six-pack on girls. And am intent on maintaining a womanly figure, especially since I'm so tall.
  • profesorakate
    Options
    I think I'll aim for about a 5 kilo loss per month (around 10 lbs). That seems reasonable and sustainable. I always lose very quickly at the beginning.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You're eating at 50% of your TDEE right now. Most people suggest 20% so you could be eating more to fuel your body. At that big of a deficit, you may start to see your weight stall out.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've been eating pretty much like you. After the big initial weight loss in the first couple weeks, I've been losing around 2-2.5 lbs/wk while maintaining muscle mass. I have about 18 lbs left so I expect to see a bit of a slowdown.

As far as the body fat thing, if you can afford it, I highly recommend getting a DeXA scan done (about $75+) dollars. I had one done at the beginning of my weight loss for a baseline and then one done about 3 months after that (about 3 weeks ago). It accurately measures fat mass and lean mass as well as bone mass/density. Pretty cool. Also a good way to keep track of how much body fat to lean mass you are losing.

If not, calipers (you can buy on Amazon for 5-15 dollars) work really well for me or a military calculator (which go off body measurements) can keep you aware of the general trend of your weight loss.

Best of Luck!