Calling all people over 45

Options
13»

Replies

• lqmustang
    lqmustang Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, and have lost 21 pounds since 'adjusting' my diet and starting the insanity program on December 17th. Like many others here have alluded to I don't say no to anything that I enjoy eating, but I do it in moderation. I did 'give up' soft drinks, but now I'm at the point where it doesn't bother me any and I'd rather use those calories for something healthy instead of drinking them. I still have 4-5 pounds I'd like to get rid of and they are taking the longest to get rid of. Seems to be a common issue when you get down to those last few. I don't let it get me down, just makes me more determined to reach my goal. I now do a mix of the insanity workouts along with some weight work.
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Okay so here's my work out routine. M, W and F I do 40 minutes of interval cardio at an incline of 4 and starting at 3.7 and ending up with 4.5 mph. I burn somewhere between 340 and 360 calories. On T, Thurs and S I do weight lifting and 30 minutes of interval cardio. I use 5 lb weights and do 3 different kinds of lifts with my arms. I do 3 reps of 15 and on the last rep I use 10 lbs until I can't do it anymore. Haven't been able to reach the full 15 on any yet. I do 3 sets of lunges on each leg holding 5 lb dumb bells. And I do the same on squats but use the 10 lb dumb bells. I then do stomach strengthening. I try and push a little harder each time I do them. I take Sundays off. Is it enough or do I really need to up it to see results? Remember all of this has come from this site somewhere or another because I never in my life exercised like this. Be kind but honest.

Cardio sounds fine - although keep in mind if you aren't using a heart rate monitor the calorie burn MFP or machine gives you is only an estimate. It probably doesn't matter all that much if you don't eat back your calories (like many others say - just move) - but its nice to know how much you are really exerting yourself. And also as you get in better shape you start to burn less.

Weights - depends on exercise. 5 lbs for back and shoulder flys is decent, but it ain't much for biceps and triceps (I mean you can concentrate and create your own tension but at some point you will need larger weights to create muscle). For example, I do 15 - 20 lbs for bicep curls, and 9 - 12 for triceps, and do 10 - 15 reps (go to failure), depending on the exercise, There are a lot of resources out there - I learned from Beach Body videos but am reading New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women now and its really great - would recommend one of those or consulting a trainer. I think there's also a lot of free videos on youtube. Wouldn't just rely on people's advice on this site.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    You guys are all doing so awesome and I really appreciate all the replies. I'm going to get a heart rate monitor but for now I just don't count my warm up or cool down time. My arms are so puny and have been all my life but for right now that's all the weight I can manage. Plan on upping it as soon as I can. But they are beginning to look better. I always go on the internet and research things out before I try them. Like the right form and so forth. Guess I'll just keep plugging along because if being stubborn counts for anything then I'll win this one! LOL
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!