Pregnant and trying to stay fit

Options
:smile: Anyone out there know how to be pregnant and NOT gain tons of weight? I gained close to 60 with my 1st child and excercised 3 times a week or more up till the day I went into labor. I only kept about 20 lbs but I didn't want to keep that much. I am now on my 3rd pregnancy, I miscarried in January. I could use some advice. Thanks

Replies

• splashesofjoy
    Options
    :smile: Anyone out there know how to be pregnant and NOT gain tons of weight? I gained close to 60 with my 1st child and excercised 3 times a week or more up till the day I went into labor. I only kept about 20 lbs but I didn't want to keep that much. I am now on my 3rd pregnancy, I miscarried in January. I could use some advice. Thanks
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking for my next pregnancy that I wanted to use this site to track and only gain the recommend amount. So any tips would be welcome. I can't remember how much I gained but it was too much:tongue: But alot of it was water retention and I lost pretty much all of it after only a month. But my dream is to be pregnant and only have that bump and have nothing else be bumpy:laugh: Hey a girl can dream:ohwell:

Adrienne:heart:
  • alimassa
    alimassa Posts: 275
    Options

I gained 50 with my first, 55 with mt second, and even though I made a strong attempt to NOT gain weight on my third..even running up to my 20th week...I still gained 50. I have come to the conclusion that some people just gain weight...and I am one of those people. Take what the good lord gives...even if its rolls and a triple chin while throwing up for 9 months. HAHA

:laugh:

Ali
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    There's a website called babyfit.com that's like this one, but for pregnant women. I would check that out. I think that would help a lot. Also, just maybe set your goals at maintain, and then you can be sure that the only weight you're gaining is baby. That might help it stay off.

And congratulations!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I agree with LokiFae.
    I used babyfit.com while pregnant with my 2nd and only gained about 20 pounds.
    Great support also!

Good luck and congrats!
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree with LokiFae.
    I used babyfit.com while pregnant with my 2nd and only gained about 20 pounds.
    Great support also!

Good luck and congrats!
    That's reasuring:happy:
  • AngelicDevil80
    AngelicDevil80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Both times I was pregnant I was to sick to gain any weight until about month 7, but with my last one I gained WAY to much after I went on zofran...I had been wanting to gain the least amount, but once I could eat, I sure did :laugh: I ended up in physical therapy and lost some weight but was under care of a medical team, however when I was on my own to exercise I was allowed light treadmill walking and swimming, but not over doing it. I also did pregnany yoga. So I toned up very well. I had been doing yoga to start with just switched it over to the pregnancy yoga.

Id just say to talk to your doctor about what exercise and diet you should follow to gain a healthy amount. I would say what I suggested above, but I dont know if you need to do anything different b/c of Jan(which Im sorry to hear).

Welcome and good luck!
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I gained about 50-60 pounds with both of my pregnancies. My second pregnancy I decided i was going to be healthy and not gain alot of weight but I still did! I ate good and did step aerobics the whole time. I had 8.5 and 10.5 lb babies, so i think i just have big babies and gain weight. It came off quick because i was in good shape and i had a c-section on Friday morning, left hospital Sunday around noon and we went to a fathers day bar b que that afternoon!! lol
    So being healthy during your pregnancy will defenitely help you bounce back quick!

congratulations!!
  • AngelicDevil80
    AngelicDevil80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I gained about 50-60 pounds with both of my pregnancies. My second pregnancy I decided i was going to be healthy and not gain alot of weight but I still did! I ate good and did step aerobics the whole time. I had 8.5 and 10.5 lb babies, so i think i just have big babies and gain weight. It came off quick because i was in good shape and i had a c-section on Friday morning, left hospital Sunday around noon and we went to a fathers day bar b que that afternoon!! lol
    So being healthy during your pregnancy will defenitely help you bounce back quick!

congratulations!!

I agree with the being healthy during helps afterwards! I know I sure wouldnt have gone to a bbq the next day lol..way to tired but its great you could!

A couple of my friends had c sections and they were in bed for a long time, however they just may be the type who would rather stay in bed then try to get back into the routine :laugh:
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options

congratulations!!

I agree with the being healthy during helps afterwards! I know I sure wouldnt have gone to a bbq the next day lol..way to tired but its great you could!

A couple of my friends had c sections and they were in bed for a long time, however they just may be the type who would rather stay in bed then try to get back into the routine :laugh:

haha yeah some people will stay in bed just to take advantage of the rest but not me, i get way too bored. Not to mention my hubby was home for a 2 week leave from Iraq and I wasn't going to spend his time home laid up in bed! We had things to do and only 2 weeks to do them!!! LOL

my first one i had a c section and i was laid up in bed for a while but i was 16 and didn't know *kitten*!! LOL
    my family told me you had to stay in bed and relax after having babies!
    I must say the second c section was a breeze and i wish I would have done the same the first go around.
  • splashesofjoy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts! I am going to try babyfit.com. I am hoping my doc will let me keep up my exercise all the way through this time. I am worried I wil be on restriction b/c of the miscarriage. We will see...
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Like many first pregnancies, I gained a ton of water weight and lost is right away (50lbs). And like you, I was determined not to gain too much for the second. I ended up gaining just 25 lbs. What a difference. I think that you can do somthing about how much you weigh, at least to a point. For my second child I was forced to play all day long with the first one. I didn't enjoy any lazy mornings where I sleep in for 2 hours and walk around the house eating whatevers in sight. I was busy. This helps. And I'm really sorry to hear about January., but I don't think it has to do with excess exercize. As easy as people want to make it for pregnant woman, it's really best for her to stay active and doing stuff, including exercise. I did sit-ups and push ups until I couldn't do them anymore during my second pregnancy and this helped when i had to push during labor. All of these things will help to make you healthy during and after the pregnancy. Good luck and enjoy your cravings once or twice a week, while eating yogurt and other healthy snacks during the week!!! You can do it.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm with the ladies... I started out slender, and then gained 60 lbs!!! I didn't think I ate all that much (but I guess I did!). I lost 30lbs giving birth, but then had 30lbs to lose (still losing some!)... try to make the healthiest choices, but now is not a time worry too much! Enjoy it!

With that said, I have a friend who started her pregnancy already quite overweight, and her doc really monitored her diet (she followed the diabetic diet - 3 meals each with one carb, one protein and unlimited veg, and two low glycemic fruits, and two snacks of low fat protein/high fibre carbs each day), and she only gained 17 lbs, lost it all giving birth, and a fews week after giving birth was lighter than before she was pregnant!

Good luck and enjoy the pregnancy!
    :flowerforyou: