I gain weight if I eat "normally"

Options
So, I haven't logged in awhile, because of health issues, but here is my issue. I'd appreciate some input.

When I first lost a lot of weight I didn't do it the right way. This was not intentional. It was the result of lack of education. I under ate without realizing it for an extended period of time. It has been over a year and a half since I did this.

Fast forward to now, if I eat anything near my BMR (or what it is supposed to be), I gain weight like it's no tomorrow. Since December, I have managed to pack on close to 25lbs even though I am not eating that bad. I have gone to see a dietician once, and her response to me was that perhaps I just have a really, really, really slow metabolism and that I should just accept that my body won't let me lose this fast.

I can't bring myself to accept her answer. I hate being as big as I am right now. It really and truly bothers me. I just don't know what to do anymore and it's starting to upset me more than I'd like to admit.

Replies

• turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    how "fast" do you want to loose the weight? If you are not loosing anything right now then a slow weight loss would be better right?

edit: Your stats would be helpful, and what do you normally eat at each day?
  • erindry
    erindry Posts: 1
    Options
    Go to the doctor to have your thyroid checked. If that's the problem, you NEED medication, whether you want to lose weight or not. An untreated thyroid is not good.
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In you diary you only logged one day for the last 5 or 6 that I looked at

it was under 600 cals for the day

and no excersize

you are starving yourself and your body is holding onto every morsel it can

eat more and ecersize

you have to eat ABOVE your BMR as well by at least a few hundred calories or you will continue to starve and feel miserable
    and no it wont happen fast there is no magic fast solution if there were everyone would be skinny and beautiful.

I haven't been logging lately due to illness and such. I do eat more than 600 a day, I can assure you.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    M advice...carry on at those cals, but reduce carbs to 100-120 per day. Eat more protein and fat. Stick with it for a solid month, whilst weighing and logging EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth...see how it goes. You cant be certain of your numbers across the board without logging it. Going to have to be proactive!

Zara x
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? I recently switched to a low GI approach -- controlling my blood sugar -- and finally started losing weight again without counting calories. First thing I did was give up white bread and potatoes, and cut way back on sugar. When I don't control my blood sugar, it seems, I can't lose weight no matter what I eat. I am not diabetic, prediabetic, or even very overweight (as of yesterday I was 1.5 pounds over a "normal" BMI).

Might be worth a try for you. Good luck!
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    how "fast" do you want to loose the weight? If you are not loosing anything right now then a slow weight loss would be better right?

A typical day would be:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1.5tbls peanut butter and a glass of 1% milk
    lunch: Either a salad (spinach, onion, mushroom, feta, orange and poppyseed) or a sandwich.
    Snack: greek yogurt, 1 package of preventia cookies to sooth my chocolate craving
    supper: some form of protein with veggies. ex, chicken, potatoes and corn
  • beasilvac
    beasilvac Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    High protein low carb diet. And u must do cardio. I can assure u this will boost ur metabolism. U r right not to accept u r dietician's opinion, but that doesn't mean u won't have o work hard to change this reality.
  • zeprose
    zeprose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't get upset.There is always a solution. I think your low metabolism is because of what you've done over a year. you put your body into starvation mode so your metabolism got slower. But you can boost it. I want to mention that I am not a dietician or expert What ı will tell general things.To boost your metabolism;
    you should work out more and eat in every 2 or 3 hours like 3 main meal and 3 snacks. In mornings, to make your body start to work you should have breakfast in one hour after getting up. Another important point is drinking 2, 2.5lt water as water is catalyzator of human bodies.
    Never give up, keep trying!
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options

A typical day would be:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1.5tbls peanut butter and a glass of 1% milk
    lunch: Either a salad (spinach, onion, mushroom, feta, orange and poppyseed) or a sandwich.
    Snack: greek yogurt, 1 package of preventia cookies to sooth my chocolate craving
    supper: some form of protein with veggies. ex, chicken, potatoes and corn

You are going to get a wide range of thoughts on this as everyone has their own opinions and for some they believe it is there way or the highway. However, what you need to do, and everyone will agree on this, is log your food better so you can more accurately see what is happening with your diet.

Based on the example you gave above i think most would say that you are not eating enough. However it is just a quick example so we strangers don't really know. If you were logging everything you eat then you could get better advice. Without seeing an accurate food log you will only get people giving you their opinions. For some a low carb diet is essential, for others it is a waste of time. For many low fat has proven helpful but for many it is not a good road to go on. You see what i mean? We need to know what you are eating and have an idea of your workouts in order to be helpful. However there is one much more important fact.........YOU need to be able to help yourself and you must log as accurately as you can to see where your strengths and weaknesses are.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For me personally, my metabolism evens out when I build muscle and exercise more in general.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    time to get some blood work done
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Sugar?

google 'a calorie is not a calorie' or 'the bitter truth about sugar' or 'the skinny on obesity'

If eating normally causes weight gain, my guess would be normal eating contains a lot of hidden sugar., maybe sweetners in coffee or something...