Diet HELP...Anyone suffering from stomach ulcers??

Options
I've been on this roller coaster for almost a year now with various stomach issues. Just when I think I've found a meal plan that works and makes me feel better, it inevitably doesn't.

My doctor doesn't know exactly what's wrong, but yes, I am going for an endoscopy in March to get to the bottom of this.

Most recently, my symptoms seem to be leaning towards H. pylori or an ulcer of some form. I'm constantly burping, hiccupping, full of air, nauseas and in pain no matter what I do or don't eat. Obviously, I won't have a clear answer until after the EGD which is not until March, but I'm going on vacation 2/24!!

I'm going to start treating my symptoms as an ulcer, so I looked up some dietary examples. A lot of the info I'm finding is contradictory. Fruit or no fruit?? Milk or no milk?? I was wondering if anyone here is knowlingly suffering from this and are there any foods to have more of/stay away from to alleviate my symptoms? I don't want to spend my entire vacation in the cabin of the ship bloated an in pain!!!

Thanks,
Theresa

Replies

• MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am the ONLY ONE???? :sad:
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    :cry:

I can't stop hiccupping and it's making me nauseas. My doctor won't be in to call me back until 4:00!!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I had an ulcer, and the only symptom I had was pain., no hiccups or nausea.

Anyway, the best thing you can do is keep a small amount of food in your stomach at all times. More acidic foods, like soda or citrus, may cause you more pain, or they may not. You'll have to try them to find out.
  • MurphysLawTD
    Options
    Thanks. It seems acid aggravates it, so that I'll have to stay away from. I really wish my doctor would call me back ASAP!!
  • aprilkats
    aprilkats Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Are you finding that your ulcer pain can be mistaken for extreme hunger? This is the problem I have. I do find that those 14 day regimes -omezeprone (sp) really helps.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux can mainfest that way. Let us know what the doctor says.
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There is a simple blood test that tests for h pylori
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ulcer, but I have battled with gastritis. It's basically an irritated stomach lining, but not quite all the way to an ulcer. It's like the precursor to it.

Anyway, you want to avoid anything that is:
    spicy
    greasy
    acidic
    caffeinated
    carbonated

As far as fruit goes, I could eat tons of apples and not have a problem, but an orange would be another story since it has more acid in it.

At the time, I ate a lot of carbs, because pasta and bread seemed to go through my stomach ok. I wasn't trying to lose weight then, so I didn't care about calories or nutrition information. I just wanted to hold some food down without any pain. However, I don't think that most veggies (other than tomatoes) will give you any problems. Meat should be ok too as long as it's not deep fried. I never had any problems with dairy, but your mileage my vary.

I also had to give up coffee and pop for a couple months. That was probably the hardest part of it for me, because I really love caffeine. My doctor said that if I really want some caffeine, I could have green tea, since it has less acid than coffee or pop. It will do in a pinch. :)

Also, check out what other beverages you are drinking... do any of them have citric acid in them? Any kind of acid can cause you grief if you have an ulcer.

I agree that a blood test can determine if you have h pylori or not. You don't need an endoscopy to determine if it's a bacteria. However, the endoscopy can probably give you more info about the extent of the damage.

Are you on any medications? I had good luck with Aciphex at the time. Prilosec is over the counter now, but if I can choose, I'd rather have the Aciphex because it didn't give me any side effects.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me back before I started working on my weight. Milk was the only thing that helped but of course very high in calories which was the primary reason I had put on so much weight (I was guzzling the stuff to try to ease the stomach pain). Doctor put me on a PPI, I gave up the milk and started working on my weight. I haven't had any stomach issues since I started the PPI. Most people don't want to take a pill daily but that's what worked for me. My issue was the arthritis meds were slowly killing my stomach (they are known for that).