What things do you refuse to log?

Options

Replies

• kirlia
    kirlia Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For everyone that doesn't log spices, you should all start! 5 g of cayenne pepper is 44% of your daily recommended vitamin A!

The only things I don't log are exercise under 15 minutes and water intake. Every bite that goes in my mouth gets logged otherwise, even if it's one fry off a friend's plate.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I don't log the seasonings my husband uses on the grilled chicken. I don't log mustard or pickles usually. I count most liquids as water, whether they are flavored water, tea or diet soda. (with the exception of coffee) I don't log the occasional piece of candy I snag from my kids.

Evidently I've done ok not logging all that since I still lost 46 pounds!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise (1 calorie!), pepper, black tea and coffee with no sugar, olive oil, seeds.

However, if my plans don't work, I don't blame MFP and start whingeing about things. I blame the 5 newest friends on my friends list.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't log water, or spices such as cinnamon as I only use a tiny sprinkle of it anyway. :smile:
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I log all food/drinks other than spices. Stuff like gum or mints I wouldn't log either. I figure something as miniscule as those, you burn off during usual daily activities anyway.
  • azam87
    azam87 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't log my weight exercises, it does'nt do any significant
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that's 0 calories.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Anything that has no calories since everything I consume does its everything.I dont chew gum ever unless its form someone else and thats like once a year all of the gum these days has aspartame and it makes me sick and gives me headaches and the after taste is disgusting.
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I never log the water I drink cos I don't keep track.
    I don't log tasting the food whilst cooking it.
    I don't log any activity unless it is 20 mins or more and it gets me sweating and my heart rate up
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I log everything with calories. And when it comes to logging exercises, I log everything from "real exercise" to cleaning and whatnot. I'm losing weight whether I log or not and it makes me feel better to log everything. It makes me feel productive.
  • strflt
    strflt Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't refuse anything. I log everything unless I have no earthy clue and have no way of getting said clues. :)
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I don't log tea (with milk and sugar) or vegetables. I don't log regular daily activities either, like housework, because I already claim to be lightly active, and I figure that means what I do on a daily basis.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    any type of sauce since i dont measure how much is on my food, or if i have a small bite of something just to taste.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I do not log tea, regular activities (like housework, etc), condiments (ketchup, etc) since I rarely use them.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    to be honest, when you trying to lose weight, by calorie counting...not logging is like trying to omit what you ate. Its not possible to get a real value on things if you dont log it. For me its like a check book...I put in, and I note what comes out....I think if you wanted to omit foods that you eat every day, you could take a look at how many calories you eat of these items say in a month and get a daily average, then you can just go in each day and do a quick add of them so that you are technically logging them and they are accounted for.
    Lets face it, there are calories in almost everything we eat so better to know the value then have any surprises.

If it works for you to log every single thing you eat and drink, then by all means, please continue to do so! What works for one person may not work for another. I'm not the judgmental type, so keep doing what you're doing and let freedom ring!

When I began this process, I logged EVERYTHING out of fear and wouldn't allow myself anything that might be perceived as unhealthy. I don't know about you, but this is not the way I choose to live my life. I want to make this change sustainable, and part of that is loosening the reigns a bit and allowing myself to have good days and bad days without guilt. I don't have cheat days because I don't deprive myself anymore. And, do you know what? I now feel like I am allowing myself to live my life. Prior to taking on the mindful eating approach, I allowed food to control me. Not anymore. So, no, I am not going to log every taste while cooking or gum or black coffee, etc. I embarked on this lifestyle change in an effort to prolong my life and be the mom, wife, and person I know I can be. I can't do that if I become a slave to calorie counting (which was the case when I first started here).

Like others have mentioned, I allow myself a cushion each day to account for those extra calories. I have lost 6 pounds since I made the switch a month ago, so I can safely say that this has not hampered my weight loss efforts at all. It works for me and I don't have an ounce of guilt, nor do I feel like I am being dishonest with myself or anyone else by not logging these things!
  • chantelp89
    chantelp89 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    As far as spices and herbs go, I just discovered the bar code scanner on my phone so if I use up to something logable, it will get logged!! Sorry I'm a tiny bit obsessed with this (its the only habit I've stuck to for more than a week)
  • BlackJack96
    BlackJack96 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't log in zero calorie foods (i.e. diet soda, flavored water).
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I log everything foodwise, because most of it makes a difference to my macros. Example, ketchup has quite a lot of sodium. Also, I have all or nothing tendencies, so knowing I am going to log every morsel helps me stay on track and not graze because everything counts. I regained weight in the past by losing focus and I don't want to repeat that mistake again.

For exercise, I don't log daily activities like cleaning, taking care of the chicken flock, shopping, etc. Just actual "exercise" like walks, elliptical, etc.

To each his/her own. People should do whatever works for them.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee, tea, diet soda, water, spices, if I use a squeeze of lemon, and exercise. I keep track of exercise in a different app.

I also leave myself a cushion so that it doesn't matter. I do log olive oil (120 cal per tablespoon) and other sauces/condiments.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Here are some examples of things I don't log:

* Coffee (but I do log creamer)
    * Gum
    * Most things that contain 0 calories
    * Ketchup (I log this sometimes, but not usually)

What foods and beverages do you refuse to log?
    Gum? Is that even food? ;-) No, I don't log that. I rarely chew gum though. I don't log water ever. I also don't log every single dash of Worcestershire Sauce or pepper or things like that. I'm committed but I'm not anal retentive.

Even if I logged everything and tried to be perfect, I still wouldn't be perfect. Those calorie labels are only estimates. If they are accurate to within 10%, I'd be amazed.