I hate whole wheat/multi-grain!!

Options
I just had a really yummy breakfast sandwich: 1/2 c. Egg Beaters, 2 slices of black forest ham, reduced fat shredded cheddar and hot sauce all on a Thomas' Better Start Multi-Grain English muffin...all for about 235 calories. The problem is, I CANNOT get past the cardboard taste of the English muffin. I am slowly trying to wean myself off of white foods and work in more whole wheat, whole grain and multi-grain foods (because everyone says I'm supposed to!), but I am not liking it at all!

Anyone have any tips on making this transition easier?? Or what else can I use for my breakfast sandwich??

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thomas Hearty Grain 100% Whole Wheat bagels are pretty yummy. A few more calories and carbs, but I enjoy it.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Orowheat Soft Family is really nice (sandwich bread). It's whole wheat but soft, hence the name.

EDIT: do you toast it? I can never tell the difference between toasted white and toasted wheat stuff.
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    In a month you will be used to it and you won't feel like you're missing out at all. Stick with it because those white breads are a killer for you!!!
  • rskidmore
    rskidmore Posts: 212
    Options
    I can't stand whole wheat pasta, it tastes like there are grains of sand in it. Ew. So I just have regular pasta but less frequent. Otherwise I've switched over to whole wheat over time. It's okay if you don't like a certain thing, but try to change over as much as you can.
  • flwyland
    flwyland Posts: 142
    Options
    Oroweat has a double fiber English muffin that's pretty good if an English muffin is what you want. Thomas' makes Bagel Thins which are yummy, too.
  • gemmableu
    gemmableu Posts: 4
    Options
    Trader Joes makes some really tasty whole grain breads! Also, I think there is a white bread (Sarah Lee I think?) that is actually whole grain. My grandma always buys it for my little cousins to trick them. Haha.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Make it on a Thomas everything bagel thin (110) cals..............mmmmm
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hey I done a lot of research on that subject bc I hate wheat/multi-grain myself and if you don't like it you shouldn't eat it. BC a calorie is a calorie the white stuff is not good for you but its the same battle as white rice and brown rice. The brown bread is suppose to keep you fuller longer and not raise your blood sugar as quickly. But why torture yourself with something you don't like if you can learn to eat it in moderation. At the end of the day a calorie is still a calorie. So enjoy your white bread.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I love whole wheat anything now. At first it was strange but now I like it better. 3 things I started off with was:

Country Kitchen wheat buns- real soft not grainy
    Tri-Color wheat pasta- it throws you off a bit
    Wheat pretzels

Now I pretty much eat anythng wheat or multi-grain and I love the crunchies in Dunkin Donuts multi grain bagels. They are not the best for you but I love to have one once in a while.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Sarah lee Honey wheat is really good! I eat mainly Arnold's Multigrain or Wholewheat sandwich thins. They are thin, delicious, and only 100 calories per sandwich!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I think it is an "aquired" taste, honestly. It took me a little while and is taking my husband a little longer. He is totally fine with the bread now, but it taking a little longer with the pasta. I would just say experiment with different brands that are actually 100% whole wheat and see what doesn't make you gag and stick with it, you will get there I'm sure. There is a brand called something like smart pasta I think, that tastes more like white pasta that is more palatable to most people. Hope that helps! :smile:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Some whole wheat / whole grain bread I get that I think are really good is:

Stroehman Family Grain Whole Wheat (I even even PB and Fluff on it)
    Weight Watcher Whole Wheat buns (I use for burgers)
    Trader Joe's British English Muffins (these are awesome)
    Trader Joe's Flour made with whole wheat tortillas
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    yeah, those muffins are gross. :X Try the Trader Joes Whole wheat British Style English muffin. Much tastier! Hey, good job on the breakfast! :D
  • kissyfacemd
    Options
    I don't like whole wheat breads either. I found that Orowheat Oat Nut bread is delightful. It has slightly higher calorie count, but it tastes way better, to me, and I don't have to feel guilty. Eventually, I would like to get to whole wheat, but meanwhile I am going through my white bread withdrawals I stick to the Oat Nut. Hope that helps.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love English muffins, but I find that particular one -Thomas' Better Smart- not a fave. There is something about it, maybe density and flavor, that I don't like very much. That being said, don't give up on whole wheat/multigrain because of it. Try the other Thomas' ones that may have a few more cals, but taste better. There are a lot of other brands out there too (Bays, Trader Joe's, etc) so don't discount them all. Other than that, as others have said, I think it's also a matter of getting used to the taste in general. Good luck!
  • jolene1
    jolene1 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have found that Joseph's - Flax, Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Flour Lavash Bread is really good. Instead of an english muffin...why not roll it up in one of these?!?!? It's like a taco shell with way less calories and lots of healthy stuff added and super soft. You can use them for so many different meal ideas. They also make pita bread. So worth it. I've found them at walmart over by the bakery/deli area. It's the best.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Toasting really does make a difference! Adding some jam or sweetener also helps.

For some incentive, look at this article I just read, it really explains the solid reasons why whole grains are so worth it!!

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/carbohydrates/
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    yeah, those muffins are gross. :X Try the Trader Joes Whole wheat British Style English muffin. Much tastier! Hey, good job on the breakfast! :D

Yeah, I agree. They aren't the best. I felt like they really did have a fake, cardboardy flavor that isn't necessarily representative of all whole-wheat products.

If you still want to keep trying, just keep your mind open and keep exploring different brands. I'd recommend looking for "whole wheat" (or some "whole" grain) to be first on the ingredient list instead of just "multi-grain" in the name. It can be confusing but "multi-grain" can often be just refined flour much like the white flour ones. (http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/multi-grain-vs-whole-grain.aspx)

I tend to like the bread products that are baked in-house at whatever grocery store I go to. They contain few ingredients and tend to taste the freshest to me.
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I have heard a lot about the Orowheat stuff so it must be pretty good. I have tried the Sara Lee Multi-Grain white and unless it is toasted, I'm not much of a fan. I actually really like the Thomas' Bagel Thins!! Of course the last time I had one it was coated with cream cheese!!

As for the English muffin I had, yes I did toast it. I don't think I could even eat a white English muffin un-toasted! Ew! LoL!! I really have no intentions of eating it by itself, just with the breakfast sandwich. I though about adding some butter (Crountry Crock Light) on it just to soften it up a bit which only would have added a few more calories, but I decided not to. We are having spaghetti and meat balls for dinner per my boyfriend's request (more white starch!) and I wanted to save every last possible calorie that I can so that I can have a piece of garlic bread!! ~~ Can you all tell that carbs are my weakness?? ~~ Friday is my "treat day" so I usually try and keep everything in check througout the day in order to enjoy my dinner.

And as for Trader Joe's, I live in CO so we don't have those here. :-(
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad! There is nothing wrong with enjoying your carbs!! Carbs are the main biggest portion of the food pyramid and are good for your heart!!! Switching to more whole grains is great but don't beat yourself up for loving your carbs!!!!