Spaghetti Squash recipes?

Options
I want to be able to eat A LOT just not a lot of calories! Any good spaghetti squash recipes? I love :heart: PASTA:heart: but am trying to replace the noodles with something healthier and something I can get 2 or more servings of without feeling guilty.

Replies

• justlosingit4
    justlosingit4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My husband created this for breakfast...I must admit it's kind of yummy and filling!

He cooks the spaghetti squash in the microwave the night before.

Fry 1/2 small spaghetti squash with 1/2 sweet onion in 2 t. olive oil---kind of like hash browns.
    Add 1 egg and 4 egg whites.
    Cook until the eggs are done.

Salt and pepper to taste.

Big plate of food for not many calories.
    Enjoy!
  • cielbee
    cielbee Posts: 62
    Options
    There have been lots of good posts in the last few months on this topic. Use the search in the recipe section to see lots of yummy looking recipes.
  • htiafyenaffit
    htiafyenaffit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash has to be my absolute favorite vegetable ... my favorites are just simple spaghetti squash with low sodium pasta sauce and sauteed onions and mushrooms or keep the squash in its shell halved roast it with garlic and olive oil salt and peper put some pasta sauce in it and top it with a grilled chicken breast with some light moz cheese melted on top YUM!
  • sphillippe20
    sphillippe20 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is the most recent way I have prepared it and it was yummy! Cook it in the microwave (around 20 minutes depending on size. Make sure you poke it with a fork first!) Then, let it cool enough to handle it and scoop out the seeds then the squash. Meanwhile, in a pan saute some onions and garlic in a tiny bit of olive oil. Add in some sliced dried cherry tomatoes. Finish with a splash of balsamic vinegar. Add the squash to the onion mixture. Mix and eat! Yummy!
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Just found this recipe on pinterest. http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/special-dietary-needs/spaghetti-squash-with-grilled-chicken-and-sun-dried-tomatoes/#

Also, cut cooking time down by stabbing that squash multiple times and microwaving it for about 8 minutes.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Roasted with olive oil, a wee bit of brown sugar, and a nice smoky sea salt.
  • DiamondLil
    DiamondLil Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Gwensoul - That looks like a killer recipe site - thanks for posting the link!
  • dianatogo
    dianatogo Posts: 37
    Options
    You can use the roasted squash as a filler for lasagna. I used thin sliced zuccini (selling?) for the "noodles". It was pretty good and low cal. I mixed the cooked squash with low fat cottage cheese, parm, spices and one egg, layered with chicken chicken and sauce. Enjoy!
  • samweee
    samweee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Poke some holes in the squash with a knife, and roast it in the oven on 350 for an hour. Let it cool and scrape the insides out with a fork. Sautee some garlic and parsley in a large pan and add the squash "noodles". Toss with a little olive oil and parmesan cheese. This is how I always prepare it, and its delicious :)
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I made this once and I LOVED it. Wish my fiance liked spaghetti squash so we could have it more often!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/spaghetti-squash-lasagna.html
  • renaegonz
    renaegonz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash and meatball boats. I use sugar free spaghetti sauce (Hunts). I make my own meatballs in bulk and prepackage in single serving portions and freeze with spaghetti sauce. For me a serving is 1/2 C of sauce and 5 meatballs. When I want this the only thing I have to do is defrost the meatballs and cook the squash....add some cheese! One of my favorite recipes with spaghetti squash!

http://justthetipfood.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/spaghetti-squash-and-meatball-boats/
  • Smash666
    Smash666 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's already bin posted but spaghetti squash spaghetti is pretty fan-dam-tastic if you ask me. :D
  • Smash666
    Smash666 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    can even use other types of squash cut in cubes. Mmmmmm mmmm.
  • susieeasterwood
    Options
    hi, i learned about tis receipe wen i lived in Atlanta. Take the squash, cut in half and clean out all seeds. then put both halves into the microwave for how ever long it takes to cooked. usually a small to medium is usually anywhere from 8-10 minutes. check it with a fork to see if it is soft and strings easily from the outer shell. place into a bowl and add a Tps. of light butter, salt, pepper, and alittle garlic salt. then take some dryed Parmesean cheese and add to it also. stir it up well. now for added favor use can cut up chives and cherry tomatoes, makes it look pretty. u can eat it like this or add spaghetti sauce with or without meat. if i use meat i use lean chicken cut up or turkey. This give u a suprub meal and even the kids like it. just keep the salt low and have fun. i always serve a salad with it and there u have an entire meal without all the calories. good luck.

susieeasterwood (Trashy)
  • jjones62301
    jjones62301 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We have Spaghetti squash lasagna all the time and it's a HUGE plate full of food for only about 350 calories! It's 1-2 cups of squash (that's a lot of squash too!!!), 3 oz of 80/20 ground beef, 1/4 cup fat free cottage cheese, 1/2 cup Huntz Herb and Garlic sauce, topped with 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese, wah-la!! Seriously like 2 lbs of food and delicious!!!
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Yes! This recipe is so good and I think its 165 calories per 1 cup serving.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Gwensoul - That looks like a killer recipe site - thanks for posting the link!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    The best ways I have ever had it are as follows:

Spaghetti Squash with 4 prawns that are lightly sauteed with olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper, and red chili flakes. Mix that with the spaghetti sauce and top it with a handful of spinach leaves -- that get slightly wilty because everything is warm, parmesan cheese, and toasted pine nuts, and chopped parsley. So delicious and low cal.

Spaghetti squash with a touch of brown sugar, chopped hazelnuts, salt, and a little bit of smokey sweet pulled pork on top. I'm not a big pulled pork fan, but the flavors were nice together.
  • mrsscrim
    mrsscrim Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I came to this recipe via Pinterest, but here is the original link:
    http://joandsue.blogspot.ca/2013/01/dreamy-mac-cheese-spaghetti-squash.html

"Mac & Cheese" Spaghetti Squash (Single Serving - 220 cal)

1/2 Tbsp flour
    salt & pepper
    1/4 cup milk (1%)
    1/4 cup Tex Mex blend shredded cheese
    1 1/2 cups spaghetti squash, cooked
    1 slice green pepper, finely diced
    1 green onion, finely diced
    1 Tbsp frozen peas
    1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

2. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together flour and salt & pepper.

3. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened.

4. Remove from heat and stir in Tex-Mex cheese until melted and smooth.

5. In a bowl, stir the cheese sauce into the cooked spaghetti squash until well combined. Spread in prepared casserole dish.

6. Sprinkle with the green pepper, onion, peas, and Parmesan cheese.

7. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and squash is heated through.

8. Remove from heat and enjoy the entire dish for 220 calories, 9 fat, 20 carbs, and 17 protein.