Weighing In..

Options
Okay so this is my first week on MFP (i'm on my third day) and im already fighting a battle of when I should weigh in.
I know my weight is likely to fluctuate a little during the week and that my weight loss will vary throughout the week so my initial plan was to weigh/measure in at the end of each week.
However, I'm already wanting to weigh in today thinking twice a week is probably. But I don't want to be disheartened as i've been working really hard!

Any advice? How often do you weigh in?

(btw my goal is to lose about 20 pounds and my goals calculator thingy says it should take somewhere around 6 weeks based on what I'm doing)

Thanks!

Replies

• stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, the same day of the week in the morning (Mondays). After peeing. Naked. With dry hair. LOL
  • eleanorrachel
    Options
    "After peeing. Naked. With dry hair." - definitely! and before ive eaten anything!

do you ever get the urge to weigh in sooner though? and if so how do you cope?
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    I would just weigh in once a week. That way the daily shifts in weight won't get you down. If you are eating properly and exercising you will lose and it will show up.
  • stfuandrun
    stfuandrun Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Yes! Definitely. I put the scale in the linen closet out of the bathroom so I'm not tempted to weigh in before I take a shower. It took about a week or so for me to stop thinking about running to the closet and grabbing it but now it's much easier.
  • jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    "After peeing. Naked. With dry hair." - definitely! and before ive eaten anything!

do you ever get the urge to weigh in sooner though? and if so how do you cope?

I do the same morning before dressing and same day everyweek. It is hard because I do want to weigh in earlier but when I do have that urge it motivates me to work even harder so when I do finally weigh in it will all be worth it.
  • DocNorton
    DocNorton Posts: 43
    Options
    Mine is saturday morning - get up - toilet and weigh !

Yes I'm tempted to do it earlier and try hard not to. If I've maintained or gained one week I know that my weight fluctuates so I'm probably lighter on the whole.

Some people do it once a fortnight so the difference is more noticable.

When I get tempted during the week and give in I've had both sides of the coin - the:

"OMG I've really lost that much"

and

"OMG How the hell have I put on"

both have their pro's and con's

Early Loss = Con's - you get cocky and maybe cheat
    = Pro's - makes you feel great and try harder

Early Gain = Con's - disheartened and maybe cheat
    = Pro's - you try even harder at the gym and with diet

Both of these scenarios will just delay your constant loss which for the majority is over several weeks unfortunatly. It would be great if we had massive changes in 7 days.

Try to keep it to once a week and when you start to buckle under the pressure - get on here and we will help you through it !!!
  • kevingray35
    kevingray35 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the minority here, but I weigh in every day and just look at the average across the week. Usually by the end of the week, I'm at my lowest weight, so as long as there is a trend downward across the week, with the lowest weight of the week being an lb or so lower than last week, I'm satisfied.
  • eleanorrachel
    Options
    Okay well I guess that's confirmed it. I've got to get better will power!

stfuandrun - i will definitely try putting the scale AWAY, hopefully that will help!
    DocNorton - thanks for the motivational speech!

thanks everyone! i will try to keep the scales at bay until Tuesday :)
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I weigh more often than that, but the only one that "counts" is my Saturday morning weigh-in. I chose to start on Saturday, because most people start on Monday and give up by Wednesday. Not me! I use Wii Fit Plus, so it charts my shift in wt, but like I said, the only one that "counts" is Saturday.

I've learned that for me, as long as I'm hitting my mfp calorie goal, wt fluctuations up usually are the result of an increase in sodium in what I've been eating, so the "gain" is actually temporary water wt. And also for me, whenever I hit a new low, the next day I'm up again regardless of what I ate, and it takes a couple of days to come back down. Go figure.

My advice - If you freak out every time you look at the scale if it didn't go down, put it away and just use MFP and weigh no more than once a week.
  • dopegirl422
    Options
    It's super duper hard...I actually now the scale has a huge mental effect on me...so I jump on the scale for an official weigh in monthly! I love it I set my goals and I dont worry about those extra pounds we jump thru in a day......It's very hard sometimes I get discourage and want to see some result because I am not feeling like it's not working but I rather not have a heart attack every other day over 3 pound difference!

Good luck =]
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    My scale is in my bathroom and I think it is fun to see how my weight fluctuates from morning to night. I weigh myself twice a day because it motivates me to work harder the next day.

BUT I only do one official weigh-in and that is every Friday morning. I wake up, run a few miles, and then weigh myself!!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Once per week, same day, before morning shower, naked. Don't even look at that scale before your next weigh in day........you will get false readings.............water weight gain, salt weight, etc..................hide the scale! You will drive yourself crazy if you look at it all the time.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you start on your scale, make sure you end on your scale...............others will be off, including the doctor office.
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am a scale addict... I weigh every morning, always naked and after peeing...but I only log it once a week. I found an article once that said you are more likely to stay on track if you weigh in daily...but that is just me... I usually don't get discouraged just work harder that day. But this is me...may not work for you! ;-)
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I am a scale addict... I weigh every morning, always naked and after peeing...but I only log it once a day. I found an article once that said you are more likely to stay on track if you weigh in daily...but that is just me... I usually don't get discouraged just work harder that day. But this is me...may not work for you! ;-)
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday before my morning shower... before and after peeing lol! I am addicted to my scale
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    My name is Jessica and Im a scale addict, I weight every morning after peeing before brushing teeth and naked. BUT I really want to try and start weighing only on Friday morngings becuase that is always my lowest of the week - and come Sunday I have gained over the weekend and get annoyed at it. If you have the willpower only weigh naked, early morning on Friday right after peeing and waking up. Many of us here all are gaining over the weekend so I'd advise not to weigh on Sunday.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I started off weighing once a week but now I'm weighing twice a week just to keep myself on track, eating right. I weigh Friday and Monday mornings. Friday to make sure I do well over the weekend and then Monday to see how I did. You can't typically GAIN fat over the weekend but if I have water weight, I know I need to pull back on the sodium or drink more water.
  • eleanorrachel
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas guys!
    I will see how weighing on tuesday goes (1 week from when i started on here) and if i feel like its not working looks like ive got plenty of ideas!
  • OnMyWeigh
    OnMyWeigh Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am also a scale addict... Sounds like a bunch of us need a 12- step program to wein us off the scale. I weigh every morning before and after I pee (funny sometimes to see how much the bladder holds). Usually when I get home from work and once again after I work out which is right before bed.

I think I am going to try to move towards Friday and Monday mornings...I am hoping to get better control of my weekends. Any ideas on how to do that?