Cutting out bread(carbs) any meal ideas

Options
Hello
I am Trying to cut out bread (carbs) Does anyone have meal ideas, lunch is what im finding the hardest.

Iv been doing soups and salads but looking or something else. xxx

Replies

• smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There are low carb options for tortillas, which I use if I want something "sandwhichy". Ole' Xtreme wellness has only 5 grams of net carbs (carbs minus the dietary fiber and/or sugar alcohols), and they are pretty good :)
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary. I don't eat grains. I was traveling last week on a biz trip and didn't log, so just go back one week and I've been logging since July.

I'm not a huge fan of salads... they bore me, but I like eating raw veggies separately. Weird, I know. But I usually pack 3-4 oz protein often leftover from dinner, a bunch of raw veg, some berries.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I only eat bread a few times a year, usually when I'm staying with family/friends. There are many great bread-less lunch ideas! I usually eat scrambled eggs with some cut-up vegetables on the side, or oatmeal. You can also make extras for dinner and eat that for lunch - leftover chicken, or casserole, or whatever you like! Try googling 'paleo lunch ideas' or bento lunches and customize it to your preferences.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You can use lettuce as a wrap for a sandwich.... Pretty tasty!
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    make protein bread :) see proteinpow.com x
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am having the very same problem. I LOVE breads but have found out that they are one source of allergies for me, so I am trying to cut back...although I must admit that I am really struggling. I find that the Le Cusine meals or the Smart Ones give me another option once in awhile. The allergist also recommended lettuce wraps. I try to make extras at dinner time to have for lunch the next day. Good luck!
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Atkins makes some pretty tasty frozen meals...would be perfect for a quick lunch at work. :)
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bread is the devil food to me :devil: just started introducing it back into my diet and it's blown it apart :@( so I stick to the odd pitta or tortilla but really gread products don't do it for me. I will see what ideas people post to use thanks for bringing it up x
  • RWBoston
    RWBoston Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I often take leftover chicken from the night before. With some veggies and brown rice on the side, you have a filling lunch. Leftover veggie/chicken stir fry also makes for a great lunch.

If you enjoy sandwiches, you can cut down on your carb intake by eating it open-faced. That's the only way I'll eat sandwiches anymore.
  • judiePugh
    judiePugh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wrap raw veggies (bell peppers, carrots, cucumber) in a slice of ham for a quick lunch. If I need a little more fat to keep me going I roll up bacon and advocado in a slice of turkey. So delish!
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I like to replace my bread with big leaves of romaine. I call them lettuce boats and you can put just about anything in them. Make egg salad and line the leaf then just fold the edges in. You can do the same with tuna. Or chickpea salad (just like tuna salad except replace tuna with chickpeas.)
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    make protein bread :) see proteinpow.com x

ive just looked at that site, its awesome, thanks for the intel :)
  • rensife
    rensife Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When I have to have something, I use the arnolds or brownberry 100 calorie sandwich rounds. They are flat disc bread cut in half so each side is 50 calories. I use them for pizza crust or make them into an inside out grilled cheese. Even if you use 1.5 or 2, it is not a deal breaker. I usually add lots of veggies or romaine on the side to really feel full.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Microwaved potato - simple, still carbs, but no additives, travels well, and all you need is a microwave and ping you are done :-)
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating carbs after lunch. For dinner I swap out carbs for veggie equivalants. Butternut squash fries, cauliflower rice, spaghetti squash, portobello mushroom pizza crust. the hungry girl does a ton of swaps, go to her web site for ideas. After you get dinner mastered you can switch out lunch then breakfast.
  • DebHutton55
    DebHutton55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have only recently started eating bread again. I find that one slice a day or a few a week doesn't hurt but I do not have any allergies. I just cut them out, if I needed something I would use the low carb wraps/tortillas but pretty much put all my food in a bowl. I rarely eat pasta, I gain weight looking at it. I do have brown rice for meals sometimes. I don't agree with another reader about salads. I put everything in a salad. Nothing boring about spinach, cheese, chicken, avocado, onion, cucumber, carrot, cranraisins, walnuts, jalapenos and a tasty dressing. It's just a matter of making other choices. Unless you are a big sandwich eater it won't be too difficult.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you have to cut it out completely but reduce it. You can look at my diary it is open; though I traveled this weekend and the previous so those are not good examples.

I do things like tuna salad without bread, and vegetables or just a slice of either gluten free bread or sprouted grain bread (depends on which I can find)

I also do hearty soups, like home made (it's very easy) butternut squash soup with a salad or I make some turkey chili or veggie chili both chocked full of vegetables.

You can also make any type of wrap using red or green leaf lettuce, romaine or cabbage as your "bread"; I like humus, avocado, tomato and calamata olives.

I also make a "pasta" from zucchini and bake it just a little so that it doesn't get too soupy and add my pasta sauce to it and some freshly grated Parmesan (yummy); you can also do this with spaghetti squash by baking it.

If I'm in a hurry; I throw some raw spinach or salad greens in a bowl and warm up a can of Wolfgang Puck's minestrone soup and pour on top of it. That way I'm getting some "raw' or mostly raw and something warm too.

I do a cauliflower mash (steam a head of cauliflower (leaves and stem too) and puree with 1 cup of 0% fat fagi yogurt..season to taste); I include a bocca burger with tomato, lettuce and veggie cheese or sometimes do provolone or swiss and I love grey poupon...skip the bread or one slice of bread.
  • seaofthesun14
    seaofthesun14 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The Atkins frozen meals are good. I love the Chicken and Alfredo. So yummy!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing in the world, and it's pretty filling too, a can of tuna, an avacado...mash it up, take what you want and roll it in a lettuce leaf and yummo!!! Also, cucumber sandwhich's (whatever in between cucumbers) you can also make cauliflower pizza crusts but you don't have to use them as pizza crusts always, break them off for dips or just put whatever you like on them.
  • afia233
    afia233 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Microwaved potato - simple, still carbs, but no additives, travels well, and all you need is a microwave and ping you are done :-)