Cutting out bread(carbs) any meal ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• MadameMoustache
    MadameMoustache Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use dark greens as wraps (collards, Swiss chard), just cut out the stems!
    I also found an awesome recipe for foccacia-style flax bread. No flour and pretty easy, no kneading and takes 20 minutes to bake.
    My advice is to let it sit 5 minutes before pouring it into the pan, so it rises enough.
    Here's the recipe: [there's also almost no net carbs (since all carbs in flax is fiber). Not even 1 gram (which comes from the baking powder)]
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breads/r/flaxbasicfoc.htm
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't eat any grains or processed foods. Lunch for me has consisted of the following foods: dinner leftovers, eggs (hardboiled if you need something portable), bacon, tuna with a bit of olive oil and lemon, big salads with protein added, a smoothie with spinach, berries, avocado, coconut milk, and raw eggs, chili, stew, burger wrapped in lettuce, meatballs (these are good cold too), baked sweet potato with butter or coconut oil and cinnamon, perhaps a spoonful of full fat sour cream/greek yogurt/creme fraiche. etc.! There's tons of stuff to eat.
  • Weljelju666
    Options
    Natural fat free greek yohurt. Add splenda powder and mint sauce. Makes a perfect dip for mange tout, carrot ect. And is handy for lunch
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only good substitute for bread at a meal would be either potatoes or rice.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do a frittata type thing for lunches. Basically, it's beaten eggs, and add any things you think would be nice with it: cheese, cooked meat, herbs, nuts, seeds, flavourings, cooked vegetables - be inventive!. I like spicy ones, with hot sauce, or you could try a Meditteranean one with olives, feta cheese, etc. Pour the eggs into a pan, start cooking them like an omelette and add the other ingredients. Finish off under the grill. You could probably also just bake it in the oven. Cut it into slices like a pizza, wrap them, put them in the fridge and take them in for lunch. They are nice cold, I think, if you have used well-flavoured foods and some salt or soy sauce (if you eat added salt). They're handy if you're wanting something high protein/low carb.

Also - leftovers from the evening meal the night before!
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    Hello
    I am Trying to cut out bread (carbs) Does anyone have meal ideas, lunch is what im finding the hardest.

Iv been doing soups and salads but looking or something else. xxx

For quick lunches on work days.

You can still have burgers, just wrap them in lettuce or ask for them bunless.
    You can also get Grilled chicken sandwiches bunless.
    If you have a local Ihop or cracker barrel there's a lot on the menu you can have.
    Have breakfast for lunch, I do that a lot when I go out to lunch with my husband.
    Chick-fil-A order 1 or 2 of the kids grilled chicken 6 piece nuggets.
    Kfc chicken lunch, just get the grilled chicken with no biscuit.
  • tesszabriskie
    Options
    You can use lettuce as a wrap for a sandwich.... Pretty tasty!

I love using lettuce instead of bread or tortillas for my meals! Once you start doing it, you'll realize how much you can really do with this replacement. Everything i've tried still tastes great and much more fresh. Plus, It is much cheaper.

I really love vegetarian tacos or fajitas on lettuce... but I guess you could just call them lettuce wraps!

Also, I would check out some gluten-free blogs for more ideas.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to cut out bread entirely. IMO, just cut all the white bread and eat only whole-wheat or any kind of seeded or cereal bread. I find them even more tasty. But regardings lunch you can buy corn tortillas, or whole-wheat even, and just add whatever you want, wrap them up and it's done. But what I love to do is with a big tortilla wrap, I treat it like it is pizza dough, and just add tomato pulp (low calorie ketchup works wonderful as well!) chopped onion, light cheese slices, turkey/chicken ham, tomato slices, red pepper slices, parsley and roast it in the oven until crispy and enjoy. It is SO DELICIOUS and you can add up whatever you want, so it can be quite low in calories. Try it!