Personal Training question

Options
I'm seriously considering getting a personal trainer. I'd really like to hire a friend of mine who I know from our teenage years, but she's really made a name for herself (she is a figure competitor and fitness model) and has a private studio where she trains.
The issue is the $$$. I'm posting her rates below because I'd like to know how other people feel about this, if it's worth it, should I ask for a discount since we go way back, what's your experience w/ personal trainers, should I shop around, etc.?

Okay, the following rates are for 1/2 hour strength training sessions w/ her and unlimited access to her private studio (including cardio equipment, which I probably won't be using except when there for training because it's 30 mins from my work and home, plus I already have a $20/month gym membership. The gym does not have personal trainers).

Personal Training (1visit/week) & Cardio Membership
1 month $360
3 months $960 (save $10/visit, $120 total)
6 months $1,680 (save $20/visit, $480 total)

Personal Training (2 visits/week) & Cardio Membership
1 month $720
3 months $1,920 (save $10/visit, $240 total)
6 months $3,360 (save $20/visit, $960 total)

Nutrition Coaching
$125 first month then $75/month- This includes meal planning, meal journaling, and a grocery store visit. You receive my 7 Habits & Grocery List. I will change your mind set about food. Food = Fuel! Whatever you do in the gym MUST match what you do at home and what goes in your mouth.
**If you are a personal training client, in studio or online, this option can be added to your plan for half price!!**

Replies

• byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am not saying your friend isn't worth it, but THAT seems like A LOT of money.

My opinion, just stick with your $20/month gym membership, and research workouts online, here on MFP, or if you are willing to spend some $$$, a great idea would be to check out beachbody.com and choose one of their many workout programs. A lot of people on this site are using them. They are all great. I personally am currently doing Power 90.

Wish you the best.

Lisa
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    my trainer is part of the gym I work out at. My gym is $21.49 a month (with tax) and my trainer is officially 1x a week and $100 a month for that--so $121.49 a month for unlimited use of the gym and trainer. I actually didn't start my training until 3 months into paying for the sessions, so I have a bunch of sessions "banked" so I actually get to train 2x a week for that cost for while.
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    I go to a gym that has personal trainers, and I pay $143 per month. That's for my membership which includes unlimited group fitness classes and one half hour session per week with my trainer. It does not include any kind of nutritional counseling. However, if you have health insurance, you may be able to get that from a dietician in your physician's network for a reduced rate.

I think you should shop around.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I second the opinion on Beachbody.com - They have some really fun workouts available. If you can discipline yourself to do them faithfully, the ones I've tried are very good, very thorough, and super with giving tips on proper form.

I really don't know personal trainer prices ... The nutrition coach may be a good idea for a few months at least, if you feel kind of lost with what and how to shop & eat.

Good luck, friend!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's a little pricey. At our facility (hospital-based, but fairly upscale) the 4 training visits would be $240. That would mean $120 for the month's use of the facility.

For 6 months (24 visits), our trainer cost would be about $1344, which brings the "studio membership" down to about $56/month. If you used this as your primary facility, it would be similar to going to a medium-level health club.

Part of the value depends on the quality of the facility and amenities and the quality of the trainer herself. Just based on your description, I would be very skeptical about her qualifications to deal with the average person. I could be 100% wrong, but my "narcissist" warning light would be flashing bright red.

Hiring a trainer is a personal decision so things that make my flesh crawl might not bother you at all. I will just say from an objective standpoint, that her prices are probably at the higher end of your market, and I would look VERY closely at whether her qualities as a trainer (as opposed to her "name") justify that kind of price. The problem is that, since you don't have trainers at your facility, you are going to be paying extra "overhead" whether you find someone at another facility or even have someone come to your home.

If you are able to leverage your past relationship for a discount, that might be the best solution.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I would say it's reasonable IF the nutriton coaching came with it and it was an hour long session. I have fundamental issues with trainers who seperate the training and nutrition. But that's just my own philosophy. I say shop around. It doesn't sound like you're close friends so just because you knew her from way back when, you don't need to feel obligated to use her.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Just as a comparison, I am a member of a pretty high end fitness club (membership is $75-$135/month depending on whether or not you want tennis) and their PT's are $75/hr. I am in Canada.

IMHO if you want a PT to develop a customized program and then actually be hands on there to train and motivate you in mulitiple sessions then be sure you get someone who you meshes with your workout style (some like "Jillian's" who will be mean and kick your butt - others like warm and fuzzy motivators). If you just want someone to put together a workout for you and then you can go to your own gym and kick your own butt, then spending that kind of money on a PT seems a bit of a waste.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I somewhat agree with Lisa. It seems like a lot of money to me.

I'm looking at the prices for our gym for downtown Boston training (pricer than suburbs). The more training you buy, the cheaper per session, but some numbers:

Based on the level of training/expertist of trainer, level 1 is $78/hour, (5 one hour sessions is $368); Level 2 is $89/hour ($422 for 5 one hour sessions), Level 3 is $103 (491 for 5). Most trainers are Level 2 (certified, etc). It is much cheaper in the suburbs!!!!

For example, I could workout with my Level 2 trainer and get the 1/2 hour package (5 sessions) for $160!!! In 1/2 hour she really kicks my a** and isn't so expensive.

Editted to add: Personal trainers- it's all about the right personality mix. I personally need and like (so sadistic! :laugh: ) for someone to really be tough, kick me around, push me further, and I know I couldn't do it with a "friend" because I would be trying to get out of the tough stuff, or would end up being chatty. Just my opinion. :tongue:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see the benefit of getting some guided training if you are pretty new to weight training. It is helpful to have someone help you set up a routine and figure out how to progress and how to do the exercises correctly instead of just wandering around a weight room aimlessly. But yes, it is a lot of money and perhaps a bit higher than some other rates I have seen(?).

You could ask about the possibility of doing four small-group sessions instead if you have any friends or colleagues in your same situation with similar fitness goals. Then you could split the cost and get the ball rolling with those four sessions and then work at your gym (keeping in mind that you will want to keep it challenging by progressively adding to/changing up your routine).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I would say it's reasonable IF the nutriton coaching came with it and it was an hour long session. I have fundamental issues with trainers who seperate the training and nutrition. But that's just my own philosophy. I say shop around. It doesn't sound like you're close friends so just because you knew her from way back when, you don't need to feel obligated to use her.

I have fundamental issues with trainers who don't. Almost none of them are qualified to give nutritional advice and in many states what they do is actually illegal (only RDs can legally prescribe meal plans). It's not something that is usually enforced, but it is unethical to say the least (although the idea of using "ethics" in any conversation about personal trainers is kind of ludicrous--except the trainers at MY facility--they're great).
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was thinking it was pricey too. Since she runs her own business, do you think it would be fair to offer $1,200 for 1/wk for 6 months? Or is that still excessive?
    I don't know...I may just have to cut my losses and find someone/somewhere else.
    Thanks for all the input! It really helps me to see that my husband's not over-reacting and I'm not out of line being a bit stunned my the price tag.