What do I do with couscous?

Options
tegantheaverage
tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
I always live couscous when I have it so would like to try cooking with it. What should I have it with?

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have it by itself most of the time.
    Try stuffing it in a red pepper and putting it in the oven! So yummy!
    Today I had a little bit of cous cous on a wrap with a bunch of veggies because I didn't have any sauce left!

Or throw a bunch of things in it! Chicken, veggies, etc. It's great for a lot of things, just experiment!
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love Cous Cous, I however use the packet Cous Cous that is flavoured, rather than the plain stuff. I usually have it as a side to fish, etc just like someone may use rice, but today I decided to try something different and fried some mushrooms, added some spinach, parsley and laughing cow. It was very nice :) you could also try stuffing some peppers, tomatoes, or mushrooms. Iv slso seen it used in a wrap, which i havent tried yet. There's loads you can do with it but I like simple recipes that don't involve millions of ingredients lol
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Preheat your oven to 425F.

Bring 1 1/2 cups of water + ground cumin and coriander to taste to a boil, remove from the heat and mix in 1 cup of whole wheat couscous. Cover and let stand 15 minutes to absorb, then fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

While the couscous is doing it's own thing, prepare:

2 large carrots, on the diagonal
    1 large red onion, into half-moons
    2 medium sweet peppers (red/orange/yellow all work)
    1 large zucchini, on the diagonal
    optional - broocoli florets, brussel sprouts halved, eggplant cubed into 1" pcs, etc.

Toss the vegetables with some olive oil or spray and place on 2 lined cookie sheets. Roast for 30-40 minutes, switching the sheets and turning half-way through, until they are soft and deliciously browned. You can use whatever vegetables you like, really.

Once everything is cooled, toss together a dressing with 2 Tbsp balsamic, 1 Tbsp olive oil, some cumin and coriander to taste. Mix the couscous, vegetables, and dressing, and add in 1/2 pint of grape tomatoes (I slice them in half) and a ton of fresh chopped cilantro. Makes about 6 servings and it's incredibly delicious. I serve it over a bed of spinach for lunch.
    You can also add in chick peas, soy beans or other legumes for protein. Whatever you like.

I switch it up sometimes and use bulgur wheat, as well. Or use hot curry powder instead of the cumin/coriander mix. It's a very versatile base recipe. And everyone loves it!

Looks something like this:
    IMAG0458.jpg
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Most amazing recipe for couscous comes from Joy of Cooking: "Couscous Salad with Pine Nuts and Raisins."

YUM!
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a simple recipe that I use, but it tastes really good and is easy to make!

I start with a packaged box of cous cous (chicken or parmesan flavored). In a separate pan, I cook shrimp (large or salad size, doesn't matter) with fresh chopped garlic and spices, and then throw in a LOT of spinach and some diced tomatoes. I throw everything together, and it is a lower-calorie version of what I might do with white rice! I also get a good serving of veggies in there, too.
  • Sandy3313
    Sandy3313 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/turkey-veggie-meatloaf-cups/

These are AMAZING =)
    [/quote

I LOVE THAT SITE!!!! I DO EVERYTHING FROM THERE!!!
  • tegantheaverage
    tegantheaverage Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Bring 1 1/2 cups of water + ground cumin and coriander to taste to a boil, remove from the heat and mix in 1 cup of whole wheat couscous. Cover and let stand 15 minutes to absorb, then fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

optional - broocoli florets, brussel sprouts halved, eggplant cubed into 1" pcs, etc.

Toss the vegetables with some olive oil or spray and place on 2 lined cookie sheets. Roast for 30-40 minutes, switching the sheets and turning half-way through, until they are soft and deliciously browned. You can use whatever vegetables you like, really.

Once everything is cooled, toss together a dressing with 2 Tbsp balsamic, 1 Tbsp olive oil, some cumin and coriander to taste. Mix the couscous, vegetables, and dressing, and add in 1/2 pint of grape tomatoes (I slice them in half) and a ton of fresh chopped cilantro. Makes about 6 servings and it's incredibly delicious. I serve it over a bed of spinach for lunch.
    You can also add in chick peas, soy beans or other legumes for protein. Whatever you like.

I switch it up sometimes and use bulgur wheat, as well. Or use hot curry powder instead of the cumin/coriander mix. It's a very versatile base recipe. And everyone loves it!

Yum! That looks so good!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Looks something like this:
    IMAG0458.jpg

I'm totally bumping this because this ^^^^^ looks yummo
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    A spoon. Forks don't hold it well and knives are dangerous.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to toss it with olive oil and garlic or olive oil and parmesan. Then serve it with a vegie and tilapia.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I usually eat it with roasted peppers but I made this the other day and it was amazing... http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/chorizo-pea-and-lemon-couscous. Great cold the next day for lunch too!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Instead of water, use chicken broth. Throw in a sauteed onion, some frozen peas (closer to the end of it's cook cycle), garlic, salt, and pepper. You can add any chopped veggie and it will be great.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING!
    When I eat couscous, I add anything I have available to eat with it.
    I discovered the other day tuna with couscous, tomatoes and onion makes a good combination all mixed together with some more vegetables on the side.
  • sogoobtastic
    sogoobtastic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh man, cous cous is a beautiful thing. You really can use it in or with anything. I like to add black beans and eat it as a main meal. you can put it in salads or make cold salads out of it. Season it with parm cheese and pepper and it compliments any chicken or fish! There are TONS of recipes online that contain cous cous!
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I usually eat coucous by itself. But sometimes I'll eat it with two boiled eggs. Or I'll have it with a salad. There is so much to do with it.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a little olive oil, lemon juice, and basil. Then my favorite things to add are artichokes, black olives, tomato, red or yellow peppers, green onions, spinach, and feta cheese.
  • Good_Thyming
    Options
    For the finer grain couscous, I like it with sauteed onion, lemon, and cilantro. Easy and tasty!

With the larger couscous (I get Bob's Red Mill whole wheat pearl couscous), I use it as a substitute for pasta and put pasta sauce on it.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    i go 1 cup couscous to 1 cup stock

Add spinach, red onion ,mushrooms, coquette , Peppers, Olives, Sun-dried tomato and feta! nom nom

You can also do this with quinoa