I ran my first half marathon today!

Options
As the title says, I ran my first half marathon today! This accomplishes one of my goals for 2013 (see the rest in my profile)

Came in at around 2 hours 50 minutes (times are not up yet) which is a great achievement for me - thought I was going to come in for about 3:30 (that's what I put on the entry form) and thrilled to have come in under 3 hours. Pace was around 8:25 min/km, my monthly average for February was 8:51, down form 9:24 in January.

I started running again after a 3-4 year break (before that it was fair-weater-running, about 10K at most) in August 2012 through the NHS choices C25K podcast. I run 3-4 times per week 2-3 times before work and a longer run in daylight on Saturdays. My regular morning run is now a 7K loop which takes me about an hour to complete.

I currently weigh 99.5 kg so still obese but getting quite close to an overweight BMI (94 kg for me). When I started running I weighed around 135 kg.

If you want to take up running but are having doubts as to your ability - please do it! Try to commit to a C25K program, they are usually around 8 weeks, and give it a real chance. I truly feel like a success story in this context - I ran Freakin' 21 km today at what for me is a great pace!!!

Thank you for letting me scream form the rooftops (figuratively) and I would love more runner friends whether you are a seasoned runner or just starting out!

Replies

• BettyBlueEyes
    BettyBlueEyes Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well done! What a great achievement, and a great feeling! How are your legs? I did a half marathon last April, nearly killed me but worth it :) Not running any more due to knee problems, but keeping up with the exercise. I agree, C25K is a great way to get started for anyone. Congratulations!
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great job! That is awesome :drinker:
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Congrats to you!

(I have my first HM in July)
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    congratulations! I just had my first running experience today as well- my first 5k, also a goal for the year for me. I completely agree- just start somewhere- I was able to do it without stopping or walking.. and I haven't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks..

Maybe next year I'll do the 15k and or a half..

I encourage anyone to try a 5k.!
  • Master_Dragon
    Master_Dragon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I run my first in three weeks from today :D
    Keep it up!
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yay congrats!

I ran a half marathon when I was 24 but there's no way I could do one now! Hoping to work to get back to that though.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Wow so great. I have a goal to run a Half with my son before he goes to college next year. I am registered for my first 5k this month. I am so excited about it. Congrats on your run.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! What an awesome accomplishment. Keep up the great work!!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's an amazing accomplishment
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Well done! What a great achievement, and a great feeling! How are your legs? I did a half marathon last April, nearly killed me but worth it :) Not running any more due to knee problems, but keeping up with the exercise. I agree, C25K is a great way to get started for anyone. Congratulations!

So far my legs are OK though getting up again after untying the shoe-chip at the finish line was painful. Had a good long soak in the tub when I got home (and up the 4 flights of stairs!). I suspect the real test will be getting out of bed tomorrow morning!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Wow so great. I have a goal to run a Half with my son before he goes to college next year. I am registered for my first 5k this month. I am so excited about it. Congrats on your run.

You can do it!! Running with a family member is a lovely goal - is he a runner already?
  • BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    WONDERFUL WONDERFUL WONDERFUL!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • nicadee
    nicadee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    well done, I did too - Bath Half - crossing that line was the most amazing feeling ever.
    Congratulations
    :happy:
  • fredf2112
    fredf2112 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are an inspiration!

(As a side note, those cookies in your profile picture look wonderful. :-) )
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Amazing!! :) Congrats to yoooou!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!