What was your AH HA! moment to get started?

Options
I actually had many Ah Ha! moments prior to my final moment where enough was finally enough.

I started with seeing my reflection in the computer monitor. It was starting to look like I was gaining weight even in my face and neck area. Then there was my fathers', and familys', history with weight related issues. There was the ever tighter and tighter fitting pants that I swore I would not "outgrow". Then there was one last one that truly was an Ah Ha! I've got to do something about myself moment.

I was laying in bed, watching t.v. without a shirt on. I kind of propped myself up and caught a glance of myself in the mirror. I honestly didn't recognize myself as me. I was starting to grow manboobs for heavens sake!. I had new fat rolls starting under my arms. I was disgusted and angry at myself for allowing myself to get so comfortable and lazy in my life that I no longer was striving for a better me. This was the moment I knew I had to change and take action.

What was yours?

Replies

• SprinkledWithEmotion
    SprinkledWithEmotion Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hitting 200 lbs. :(
  • silverlotus
    silverlotus Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    A picture I saw of myself. I thought, "Wow, do I really look like that to other people?" I wish I knew where it was so that I could use it for inspiration whenever I feel like binge eating.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My bathroom scale only goes to 300. My moment was when I hadn't weighed myself in a couple months, i was 280 the last time I had. I stepped on the scale and it went past the 300 to 5lbs. That was way to light. I knew I needed to gain weight fast. Also this meant my bones were hollow like a bird. Maybe I could fly?

Seriously though seeing it break that 300 for 305lbs, that changed my life.
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    People rarely take photos of me (i now see why) and other half took apic where i was in the distance and i was shocked and looking 8months pregnant (also now know why people offered me seats) plus i stepped on the scale the next morning and saw 3 at the beginning
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    When I had to literally roll off edge of the bed in the morning bcuz sitting up was no longer an option with my belly and boob fat in the way
  • jsielke
    jsielke Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Being told I would need to carry oxygen, as I was short of breath all the time. Now, no shortness of breath, active lifestyle for first time since I was in my 20's.
  • MommiLauren
    MommiLauren Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    there was a lot of things for me. looking in the mirror and going wtf happend, the number on the scale, seeing pics of myself. but my ah ha moment i walked into the gym and said shut up and do it lol
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Finding myself in the clothing stores quite often trying to find larger clothes, because I didn't fit into any of my own any more :(
  • Squidgrok
    Squidgrok Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Contemplated new underwear because I felt uncomfortable
    Stopped wearing my jeans because I felt uncomfortable
    Contemplated getting bangs to "slim" down my face after seeing a picture
    Calfs and underarms felt squishy-ier
    All of this triggered a NO! I'll get healthier instead
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    The ah ha moment has never been dormant as I have always knew that it needed to be done. However- bad relationship with food. Couldn't stop. Maybe it was finally realizing that I let my binging have more power over me than anything else.. and that the only thing I was ever really enjoying anymore was food.
  • kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hitting 199 pounds. that was what i weighed in, on the day i had my kid. (not after having the kid, before). i never hit 200, and never thought i could. so i was thinking, omg, i weigh the same as i did when i was 9 months pregnant...wow.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Going to the doctor and seeing 213 on the scale. Before I was 200-205 for like 6 years, could eat everything I wanted, and wasn't ready to change my lifestyle when I wasn't gaining. But realizing I was starting to gain more was a big wake up call.
  • SKMC0214
    SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had many small AHA's that were not quite what I needed. Vacations pics, not being able to participate in activities with the family. A very close friend has been doing MFP since August of last year and has went from a size 22 to a 9, she looks amazing. Anyway, my final AHA was when I had begun wheezing when even walking short distances, like from my car to my office at work. or through the grocery store, I felt and looked horrible. My feet and legs would swell so bad, I could not wear shoes and looking like they were going to explode. I had a really bad wheezing day on Jan. 20 and realized the next day would have been my beloved fathers 74th birthday, however, we lost him when he was only 49, which was the end result of morbid obesity. I in 3 weeks I would to turn 45 and realized it was my time to make a change because I was following too closely in his footsteps. My Journey began on January 21, I am down 21 lbs and 70+ inches. The sky is the limit and this is my time to shine!!! Good luck to you all!!!
  • JEG2012
    JEG2012 Posts: 158
    Options
    When I didn't recognize myself in a picture :sad: ... that's bad:sad: :sad:
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    I had many small AHA's that were not quite what I needed. Vacations pics, not being able to participate in activities with the family. A very close friend has been doing MFP since August of last year and has went from a size 22 to a 9, she looks amazing. Anyway, my final AHA was when I had begun wheezing when even walking short distances, like from my car to my office at work. or through the grocery store, I felt and looked horrible. My feet and legs would swell so bad, I could not wear shoes and looking like they were going to explode. I had a really bad wheezing day on Jan. 20 and realized the next day would have been my beloved fathers 74th birthday, however, we lost him when he was only 49, which was the end result of morbid obesity. I in 3 weeks I would to turn 45 and realized it was my time to make a change because I was following too closely in his footsteps. My Journey began on January 21, I am down 21 lbs and 70+ inches. The sky is the limit and this is my time to shine!!! Good luck to you all!!!

Congratulations on your success! I am also very sorry for your loss. I'm sure he would be very proud of you!

I would also definitely have to say this is similar to my wakeup call, as far as the feet swelling. I work at a job that requires me to be on my feet about 8 hours a day, and I see my coworkers handling it so gracefully, while my feet are putting me in misery the entire day. At some moments I would try to sneak a ''sit-down'' lol. The only thing I focused on all day was the pain. Definitely not good.
  • Jdo13
    Jdo13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was an a "very obese" person that co-workers and medical shows were always talking about. I avoided mirrors and had very low self-esteem. In my eyes, I was young and "healthy".

But than I saw pictures. I felt how short of breath I got with walking or a small hill. I was labeled the "big girl". Then I really looked at the scale, realizing I was OVER 300lbs. I realized I was NOT healthy and needed to be make a difference. It was like a big bug bit me to get off my butt and get moving.

Thank goodness I had an awesome support system that pushed me and continue to push me. Now I look at pictures, my new eating lifestyle, and fitness accomplishments; who was that girl -128lbs ago?!?!?!
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options
    For me the moment was when I realized my overall lack of fitness was keeping me from enjoying things with my family. As my kids have gotten older, they are naturally more active, adventurous and willing to push themselves. I realized I couldn't keep up with them, but I still really wanted to be able to do so.

I told myself years ago that I never wanted to be the parent who sat in the ski lodge while my kids tore up the mountain. In October, I joined a gym, got a trainer, starting working out, doing yoga, cross fit and any other new gym experience I could find. Turns out, I really love being a gym rat. ;) The healthy eating followed a little later, simply to allow me to do a better job of fueling my can't live without gym time. The weight loss and smaller sized jeans is just a bonus.

My test is next week - skiing with the kids for 7 days. Not only am I sure I'll keep up, I might even give them a run for their money.
  • jenniferswooten
    jenniferswooten Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Mine was I hated looking at myself in the mirror and I could feel myself not even liking to go out with my husband or my friends because I couldn't stand the way I looked. I was tired of being the fat friend. It was never going to get better until I made the change.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I needed to do it was one thing. I then looked about, researched a bit, thought about targets, what I really wanted. Thought, planned, schemed and plotted.

And then, one morning, I decided 'TODAY'.

And so here I am.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    i noticed that my jeans and shirts were feeling tighter. if i would have kept eating like i was i would have needed new clothes. I went from 220 to 200 in about 4 months.Im now trying to break below the 200 weight.