Daily versus weekly calarie count???

Options
Ok I have no idea what's best, but is it ok to do a weekly calorie count rather than daily, it's much harder for me at weekends with husband and kids at home, and could do with say 200 extra calaries both days. Can I slightly lessen the calaries on the 5 other days say around a 100 each day to allow for weekend? Or will that mess up things? Generally I'm aiming for 1350 a day. Thanks

Replies

• MelanieK82
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing!
  • mumb3th
    mumb3th Posts: 36
    Options
    That's something I've wondered before also. I think if you mess around with your weight loss goal on the weekend days you can make it "maintain" instead of "lose 2lbs/week". That will allow you more calories for the days you need them. I am trying it this weekend!
  • beachquilt
    beachquilt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I, personally, do a weekly calorie count and it works for me. I exercise a lot during the the week but not as much on the weekends. I usually am under my calorie allowance several days during the week which then allows me extra calories over the weekend.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a set amount every single day. I try to keep it within a range of 200 calories either way of my goal and I pay attention to the overall calories consumed for the week. I also keep a separate spreadsheet where I log my daily calories to keep a monthly average. I've been doing this for almost 2 years and have lost 57 lbs.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with that. 1250 a day and then eating a little extra on weekends? Seems legit. Since I eat back my exercise calories, sometimes I'll just save those up for the weekend.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I do it weekly. Of course I count daily but I don't worry about being a bit over one day and under another (by 100-200 calories) as long as it all balances out, I have continued seeing results. I think the biggest thing is sustainability. I cannot do exactly X number of calories each day but I can average that many calories/day. I say whatever works.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a set amount every single day. I try to keep it within a range of 200 calories either way of my goal and I pay attention to the overall calories consumed for the week. I also keep a separate spreadsheet where I log my daily calories to keep a monthly average. I've been doing this for almost 2 years and have lost 57 lbs.

57 pounds? Congrats! Really impressive.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    That approach works well for me. Always has.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I track my daily intake but pay most attention to that weekly number because I do have days I eat more and days I eat less. So, yes, it works for me.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I try that but sometimes find it hard when I've gone over by too much one day. Of course, if you anticipate the extra on weekends, that'll make it easier. The iPad app (and maybe other mobile apps?) allow for a "weekly" view of macros and calories that show the weekly average which is helpful.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I try to hit my daily but if I don't, I don't worry about it too much. So long as my weekly is good, it's good for me. It's been working well so far (I'm maintaining though, so I'm not losing this way, but I'm also not gaining and that's the important part!) IMO you should never let something like counting calories get completely in the way of living your life, so to have one or two days where you don't worry about it as much, so long as you're weekly goal is met, is probably a big stress reducer too.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I try that but sometimes find it hard when I've gone over by too much one day. Of course, if you anticipate the extra on weekends, that'll make it easier. The iPad app (and maybe other mobile apps?) allow for a "weekly" view of macros and calories that show the weekly average which is helpful.
    The Android app allows for it too, which I find super helpful. Bummer that you can't view it like that on the desktop site.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That's great to hear, thanks guys
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That's what I have been doing, too. There are days I eat less and days I eat more than my daily allowance, as long as it averages out at the end of the week. It works better for me this way. I also keep a spreadsheet, which helps keep track of weekly and even monthly averages.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

57 pounds? Congrats! Really impressive.

• carfamily08
    carfamily08 Posts: 179
    Options
    I mostly watch my weekly, not that I don't look at my daily but if I go over one day and under another and it's even in the end that is what matters most to me :)
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I track daily - but it's pretty up and down from day to day. As long as my weekly is good, then I'm happy :-)
  • Mommy2nicolas
    Mommy2nicolas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Should your weekly net calories be 0 at the end of the week or under?
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I work out and because of this am usually under by quite a bit (despite eating back the exercise by half) from Monday to Thursday, but then comes the weekend and the husband and kids being home throws a wrench into my eating. I am almost always over at least twice- sometimes three times a week, but I only weigh myself once every two weeks. The days I am under balance this out, so as long as you don't go crazy six days in a row I think you'll be ok looking at your weekly goal. It REALLY helps not to weigh every day- or if weekly DON"T pick Monday! That can send you into a depressive tailspin.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I try to net 1,200 always, even on my low days. But I let myself have those lower days (my goal is currently 1,571) so that I can go over on others - so I track weekly. The app does this for you on the Summary tab. I've been tracking net weekly since I started MFP.