Anger and Irritability

Options
I've yo-yoed several times over the past several years. I just turned 43. I'm 5-9 and weighed it at 239.6 to start this effort to change my life. I physically just started to feel miserable. I've been at it in earnest for the past week and I've been compliant with what I wanted to do (drink water, tea, coffee and some juice - no sodas), limiting sugar, processed foods and eating five fruits/veggies per day.

I've tracked everything I've put in my mouth and I'm OK.

Here's the thing, I'm incredibly irritatable and angry. It has been a very stressful work week (we have made a huge acquisition and I'm a key player in the transition). I married with a wife and a daughter.

Am I feeling some kind of withdrawal?

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You aren't distracting yourself from difficult stuff with food, and food that makes you sleepy and happy - ie, heavy on fat and carbs.

It'll pass as you learn that there are things like deep breathing, taking a walk or just deciding 'I am not going to bite' begin to be more helpful strategies than getting a takeout again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    A couple things could be happening:

1.) Maybe you aren't eating enough. You should be set at about 1900-2400 calories (depending on your exercise level). Are you?

2.) There are psychological withdrawals when you can't turn to food for comfort. Just like an alcoholic.
  • islandgirldl76
    islandgirldl76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well there is also a fine line with lowering carbs with the whole weight loss process. I get really pissy when I don't have any carbs. One doctor put me on a low carb diet of 30grams a day another said no way! She laughed and said you lower them too much and you get cranky, moody, and you have no energy. Your body needs carbs.

So I keep my carb load within reason and I don't eat a plate full of pasta all the time like I used to. I listen to my body, baby steps.
    Be patient with yourself we all have been and are going through body changes with weight loss.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating enough and a good balance of carbs/protein/fat.

Plus, if you quit drinking coffee/pop then most likely you are going through caffeine withdrawal. If this is the case, it'll pass but I generally lower my caffeine intake over time instead of quitting cold turkey. It'll help with the withdrawals.
  • CodyBearsMom
    CodyBearsMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is very possible your body is trying to adjust to the different diet. It's like with most things, there is a break-in period. We can gain the weight over night or in a few weeks, but our bodies become accustomed to a certain lifestyle and we want to give up because our bodies fight the new methods. A lot of people cave in the first few weeks. I had no choice because after my surgery to repair my esophagus. I was forced to eat a liquid diet. I hated having to crush medicine to eat with pudding, but as I progressed in that first week, I began to question why I was eating so bad to begin with. I hate my body being so large, but I honestly wasn't helping myself to go in the right direction. I have major pain in my hands and feet for unexplained reasons. I am on a high pain killer which does take the edge off, making life more bearable, but food is my comfort. My body wasn't happy with the changes I made either. It takes a lot of time and patience. When you notice you are agitated and angry, take a moment to reflect on what around you in your environment could be causing the feelings. If nothing is around you, then look inward, such as are you craving a piece of chocolate? Are you desiring a Big Mac? If that is what is happening, the urges can be just as destructive because someone who is weak with urges will not use good judgement by only having one piece of chocolate or that Big Mac, instead making it several. Then the person begins another destructive cycle - they beat themselves up with the negative thoughts and feelings. So you gave in to an urge/indulgence - we all need to do that to survive. If you fell off the wagon, then tell yourself it is ok not to be perfect. Do not beat yourself up. Don't use the scale as your means to feeling better by seeing a loss rather than a gain. Food is tied to our psyche or the manufacturers wouldn't be making so much money on commercials. Thus I really do feel your body is angry with you taking away what it was useed to. Once it gets to know the new foods, once you find something you really enjoy that is healthy, your body will be happier. I hope my huge entry helps. I have been through this a lot. Take care of you - relish the feel good moments you have, and when you are down, think of them often.

CodyBearsMom
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    How many cals are you eating?

I find post-workout, I feel better and more energized.. however, I get really irritable (even though I always have whey protein after every workout). That irritability is due to my body telling me I'm hungry, even though I feel full. Eating more (healthy foods) cures it.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I often got moody and snapped at my friends when I first gave up chocolate and reduced my sugar intake, but I used meditation and a complete change in my morning routine to help get through my day with a calmer, more optimistic attitude :)