Strength Training Routines

Options
For those of you that go to the gym and strength train, what does your routine look like?

Do you like to do full body exercises each time? Do you break each day down into body parts [Like Chest and Back one day, Legs and Abs another, etc].

Just wondering what your opinions are concerning the most effective routines. I like to do a little bit of everything when I go the first day then alternate between upper and lower body [core each time usually] after that. Or I just do whatever I feel like when I go in because some days I'm just not feeling what my "schedule" might suggest -I firmly believe in listening to what your body is telling you!

Replies

• darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My husband and I work with a trainer who is always mixing it up for us. Mostly if you work more than a couple times a week you want to vary your routine so you aren't over emphasizing any particular muscle group. Alternate days for upper and lower are good. Abs you can work every day. We tend to do a lot of compound moves that work all muscle groups, so alternate training days or include rest days.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I do upper one day and lower the next. I strength train normally 4 times a week (Mon Tues Thurs Fri), so splitting work outs gives muscle groups a rest and a chance to repair. One of those routines will be with my PT, so we alternate upper & lower each week.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i mainly do body weight exerciese for upper, and lower body i do squats.

pick thing up an put them down.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do a kind of Layne Norton's PHAT, which is:

Day 1. Legs strength
    day 2. Back strength
    day 3. Chest strength
    day 4. Legs hypertrophy
    day 5. Back hypertrophy
    day 6. Chest hypertrophy
    day 7. rest

Strength meaning roughly 1-6 reps and hypertrophy more 8-15. I think most people would have two or three rest days per week but if I have too much time off the gym I go crazy.
    Here is a description of the PHAT thing: http://directlyfitness.com/store/p-h-a-t-training-layne-nortons-workout-system/