C25K week 4

Options
whew. I made it through the first 2 runs. My calves were on fire and cramping. I could not make myself runt he next 2 runs. I'm just not sure if it was the actual calf muscle burn or my own mind psyching me out. I have new running shoes and I'm still getting shin splint and the burn in my calves. Does anyone know if this is just my body needing to build muscle or the fact that I am trying to run carrying 220 pounds? Any thoughts and/ or tips will be appreciated.

Replies

• alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    Good shoes are key - but make sure you warm up for a few minutes and then stretch a LOT before you run. Also - go slow, a little bit slower than you think you should. You can do it!

Try googling some pre-running stretches and make sure you do them slowly and get a good stretch. Good luck!
  • tinydancer4
    tinydancer4 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps, but I found that slowing my pace got me through week 4.

I found week 4 to be a big step up from week 3 - I think most people find it difficult. The first day I had to stop half way because I started too fast and was too breathless to carry on. I tried it again the next day and the only thing that got me through was really focusing on keeping my pace slow and steady.

Once you've done it once, even if you do it really slowly, at least you'll then break the mental barrier of running for 5 minutes. And it feels amazing!
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I suffered from shin splints for months, I taped them up, iced them and used the rolling stick from a running store.
    They finally went away after months (I ran on my toes, so changing my striking from heal to toe instead of just toe really helped).
    I get them now again simply cause I have new shoes Im breaking in.
    If you can take a spin class, spin class will help build muscles in your legs, combined with running it will benefit you.
    I originally started off at the same weight roughly as you. It does get easier when the weight drops off.
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The shin splints and pain related to that should ease as the pounds come off. From my understanding, correct shoes will help ease shin splints if they have a lot of cushioning and are more to help ensure proper form.

I feel (literally) your leg pains right now. I was able to complete week 3 of my c25k program successfully, but I had to push it and my quads were on fire! From research I have done, this is due to muscles breaking down and building themselves up. The burn that happens while exercising is due to not enough oxygen in the muscles and the switch over to a different chemical reaction which causes lactic acid build up. Nothing dangerouse, but not comfortable either.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If you're getting a lot of shin splints, it's worth checking your form.

http://www.goodformrunning.com/

Week 4 is a big jump from week 3 - it's not in your head. Go slow. Slower. It does get better.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am on week 7 and agree with the posters above. Slow your pace down. If they still bother you afterwards, I would take the shoes back or look at inserts.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have tried may c2k5. I found a lot of them had me doing to much, to fast. This cause shin splints. I also found out I was running to fast for my self which caused me to not "run" properly. I have also had to tie all my running shoes different. Yes, tying my shoe different really helped a LOT! Helped me even more then my new shoes and running slower.

http://katierunsthis.com/2011/10/04/running-shoe-lacing-techniques/

That site has several ways to tie a shoe. I have had to modify how I tie my shoes and my goodness, it's helped me 100%. Oh and it doesn't matter what pair of running shoes I wear any more.

HTH.
  • nichernan
    nichernan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am currently on week 4. A good rule of thumb is if your running and cannot carry on a conversation, slow down. I found that when i jogged instead of ran full out this week was easier. I will also repeat this week till my calves and lungs don't burn as bad. Week 4 and 5 have the most drop out from C25K, probably because people try to push too hard and fast. slow down, take it easy, repeat if necessary till its not so much of a pain. Even though i am on week 4, i have been doing the C25K for closer to 6-7, because i repeated a week or two before moving on.

before I started i could barely run 60 seconds and was starting weighing in with over 100 lbs of extra weight on my 5'3" frame. Now i can run 3 minutes without problems, and this week i will run 5 without problems if i set my pace and go slow. you can do it!