Eat before.......

What's the best time to eat before? I try not to eat after 8pm but I want to try something else so I'm not sleeping with food marinating in my stomach lol :laugh:

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I recommend eating at any time you are awake. Eating while asleep may be problematic.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Yeah, eat before bedtime, and after you wake up. Otherwise you get crumbs in the bed.
  • I recommend eating at any time you are awake. Eating while asleep may be problematic.

lol
    seriously though eating after 8 is fine if you are within your calorie budget....i have cottage cheese and/or peanut butter about an hour before bed quite a bit
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    agree with all of above
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    I recommend eating at any time you are awake. Eating while asleep may be problematic.

:laugh:

This is the gist of it. Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat when you feel hungry. The body does not digest food differently at one point of the day as opposed to another. It doesn't know the difference between 7 PM and 8 PM.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Um, what? I mean this is really not a matter of "should" or "should not" -- it's really up to how you feel best.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Yeah, eat before bedtime, and after you wake up. Otherwise you get crumbs in the bed.

Crumbs in the bed are just saving some for later. Very important.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    I try not to eat after 6pm
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    I used to intermittent fast with no food after 6pm and wonder why I would wake up at 2am drenched in sweat and freezing cold.

Yeah.. make sure you don't have blood sugar sensitivity if you're going to do that
  • jonnythan

Hmmm. I like the way you think.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    I always have a snack after dinner, at whatever time it happens at. So many "rules" to follow. I think I'll focus on changing other things then feel starving at night and not sleeping as good.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    .... before you pass out?

There's really no set time that you *should* eat before.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Studies from a lot of respected sources (including Harvard University) show that it's not when you eat the calories, but how many you eat. So if you net 1600, it's the same if you're finishing eating at 10pm or at 7pm. A lot of people have less will power at night and give in to higher calorie, higher fat sweet and salty snacks late at night (or greasy pizza at 2am) which is the ONLY reason why late night eating is correlated with weight gain.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member

yup when i have to let the dogs out at 2 am i love picking up the crumbs and savoring what i had for snack that evening.
  • jonnythan
    Crumbs from the bed are "free" too, since you've already entered the calories in MFP! ;)
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    If you're worried about food "marinating" (lol!) overnight in your stomach, the best trick I've found i to have a seriously protein packed breakfast. It sounds ridiculous, but the more protein I have at breakfast (30g is the goal for me) the less cravings I have all day, and I find that I'm just not munchy after dinner. That is unless I have a carb heavy dinner, then it's like roll out the popcorn and ice cream, eat until food coma starts to set in, fall into bed and wake up feeling completely gross the next morning.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    What's the best time to eat before? I try not to eat after 8pm but I want to try something else so I'm not sleeping with food marinating in my stomach lol :laugh:
    What a lovely image.

Are you having digestive problems eating that late? If so, try nothing after 7.30, or 7. If not, don't worry about it.
  • it doesn't matter. I eat right before bed, in bed, at midnight when i can't sleep...I'm fine, you will be too...I promise (barring just sheer overeating).
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    I usually try to eat before I go to bed.