So exercising and eating right to lose weight is a hoax?

Options

Replies

• juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary. If all these "processed and fast foods are super unhealthy and the reason you aren't losing weight" people looked at it, they'd think I was on the verge of death and couldn't possibly lose weight that way. That's obviously nonsense.

How practical. And such common sense. I think I love you.

When I become frustrated with my progress, I remind myself that it took me 5+ years to put on 100 pounds and I am not going to lose it in 5 weeks. "Healthy" weight loss is considered to be 2 lbs per week so it seems to me you are right on track.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can eat only the healthiest foods and still eat too many calories. It isn't about cutting out all junk. It's about a calorie deficit. Unless there is something physically wrong with you (thyroid or something else), it will work.

Yes. This. And also, even people with thyroid issues can lose weight.

True. But it's more difficult and if it's untreated, it's REALLY difficult! You need a slightly different formula and you need to get treated for the problem.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I opened my diary. If all these "processed and fast foods are super unhealthy and the reason you aren't losing weight" people looked at it, they'd think I was on the verge of death and couldn't possibly lose weight that way. That's obviously nonsense.

When I become frustrated with my progress, I remind myself that it took me 5+ years to put on 100 pounds and I am not going to lose it in 5 weeks. "Healthy" weight loss is considered to be 2 lbs per week so it seems to me you are right on track.

I am practical and lazy beyond belief. I don't want to do anything I don't have to do, so I ignore all the dumb stuff that has no actual effect on health or body composition.
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

I am practical and lazy beyond belief. I don't want to do anything I don't have to do, so I ignore all the dumb stuff that has no actual effect on health or body composition.

Preach it, Brother J. I *LOVE* that you eat Taco Bell (yes, I went and took a peek! :wink: ) and other "junk." Though many here would disagree (and I may be opening myself up to a bunch of comments against what I am about to say), IMO, weighing less eating Taco Bell is still better than being obese.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Preach it, Brother J. I *LOVE* that you eat Taco Bell (yes, I went and took a peek! :wink: ) and other "junk." Though many here would disagree (and I may be opening myself up to a bunch of comments against what I am about to say), IMO, weighing less eating Taco Bell is still better than being obese.

Without Subway and Taco Bell I would be lost.
  • kend9998
    kend9998 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with the "eat healthy" mythos lies in a misinterpretation.. the idea that if you eat 80-90% of your diet in foods that can be grown, killed, or made by you, you'll lose weight because it's "healthier". The benefit of eating a more natural diet isn't necessarily DIRECTLY related to weight loss, because as others have pointed out, you can eat "healthy" and still gain weight if you're overeating. The benefit of a healthier, balanced, more natural diet lies in the nutrients consumed.

Yes, you CAN lose weight netting a calorie deficit whether you eat it in salad, free range eggs and local meat or you eat it in ice cream and quarter-pounders with cheese.

But it's a lot a LOT harder to stick to those calorie and nutrient goals eating crap. I know for myself if I go much past 200 calories before about 11am, I WILL go over by the end of the day. I have to eat lightly in morning, because I eat heavy at night regardless of what I ate before noon. So if breakfast is healthy stuff (for example, this morning was a yoplait and a cheese stick with a big mug of hot tea), when I'm not super hungry, I have more calories to spend on lunch (when I am hungry) and dinner (when I'm really hungry). If lunch and dinner also consist of healthier options (salad is my very best friend), I get to eat more VOLUME of food, so I feel full and I'm not craving food again an hour after dinner.

Food is fuel. My body runs better when the fuel it gets is mostly healthy stuff. That doesn't mean it directly translates into weight loss. It means I feel better when I eat more salad and less processed crap.

i think this is very well said, and i relate so much to the part about 200 cal. before 11am, being hungry at lunch, and really hungry at dinner. sounds just like me :-)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    One of the problems with "eat healthy" is that a lot of Americans think that means they can't have any fat.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think the problem with the "eat healthy" mythos lies in a misinterpretation.. the idea that if you eat 80-90% of your diet in foods that can be grown, killed, or made by you, you'll lose weight because it's "healthier". The benefit of eating a more natural diet isn't necessarily DIRECTLY related to weight loss, because as others have pointed out, you can eat "healthy" and still gain weight if you're overeating. The benefit of a healthier, balanced, more natural diet lies in the nutrients consumed.

Yes, you CAN lose weight netting a calorie deficit whether you eat it in salad, free range eggs and local meat or you eat it in ice cream and quarter-pounders with cheese.

But it's a lot a LOT harder to stick to those calorie and nutrient goals eating crap. I know for myself if I go much past 200 calories before about 11am, I WILL go over by the end of the day. I have to eat lightly in morning, because I eat heavy at night regardless of what I ate before noon. So if breakfast is healthy stuff (for example, this morning was a yoplait and a cheese stick with a big mug of hot tea), when I'm not super hungry, I have more calories to spend on lunch (when I am hungry) and dinner (when I'm really hungry). If lunch and dinner also consist of healthier options (salad is my very best friend), I get to eat more VOLUME of food, so I feel full and I'm not craving food again an hour after dinner.

Food is fuel. My body runs better when the fuel it gets is mostly healthy stuff. That doesn't mean it directly translates into weight loss. It means I feel better when I eat more salad and less processed crap.

i think this is very well said, and i relate so much to the part about 200 cal. before 11am, being hungry at lunch, and really hungry at dinner. sounds just like me :-)

And me !
    I second the fitbit maths too I seem to lose around the amout of weight that my deficit suggests I should when I look over a month. I have definately had some weeks when the scale didn't move for me. keep the faith.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you need to eat right (ie, no junk) and exercise to lose weight and be healthy.

But the more I read about it, the more I realize it just really doesn't seem accurate. It's no wonder it's so hard to diet for some people. You take the right steps, cut all junk, start to exercise... and you still don't lose weight. 'Oh you don't eat enough calories' (I'm not hungry!). 'Oh you might be underestimating what you're eating' (possible but that's why I don't eat my exercise back and I try and stay 100 under my goal).

Sorta depressing.

Well the junk part isn't true. You could eat all junk food, as long as it was still within your calorie range to lose weight. To lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. Healthy may be another story though.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You've been posting about a plateau for a few days. You say your started your diet two months ago. Dropping from 205 to 194 is a lot of weight very quickly. Unless you are needing to lose 100+ pounds, that's not a healthy weight loss rate.

11 pounds in eight weeks sounds pretty reasonable to me ...
    You're right. Not sure what I was thinking. I'm not very good at math, apparently.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    This is what a hoax looks like I guess:

haox.jpg

You are such a geek....in a totally awesome way.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Hoax?

No. It's science, it's reality, and it works.

Your profile says you've lost 17 pounds so something is working.

Maybe you just haven't seen the scale move in a week or two and you're getting depressed about it? Your diary is closed so we can't say much more.

BOOM!!!

QFT!

OP you got your answers right here... Don't be depressed!!!
  • dineroparamexicanos
    Options
    My personal trainer gave me this review, hope it helps!

http://people-review.com/index.php/category/fat-loss-method/
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's all a giant hoax perpetrated by corporations out to make money off desperate people. And the government, it's a conspiracy too. They want us all hungry so fast food giants can take over the world. They put calories in the water to keep us all fat.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I've always been told that you need to eat right (ie, no junk) and exercise to lose weight and be healthy.

But the more I read about it, the more I realize it just really doesn't seem accurate. It's no wonder it's so hard to diet for some people. You take the right steps, cut all junk, start to exercise... and you still don't lose weight. 'Oh you don't eat enough calories' (I'm not hungry!). 'Oh you might be underestimating what you're eating' (possible but that's why I don't eat my exercise back and I try and stay 100 under my goal).

Sorta depressing.

How do you define "eating right"?

Lots of sugar and HFCS.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    OP, It looks like you've lost 17 Lbs in two months...yeah...guess it's a hoax and not working (sarcasm). I'm not exactly sure what you're complaining about here. 17 Lbs in two months is fantastic...were you expecting more?
  • Maribabewhich
    Maribabewhich Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i lost 23 lbs since january 2nd by dieting (eating right) and exercising vigorously. if it was a hoax, i imagine i wouldn't have seen results. in contrast, i gained a bunch of weight last year by being lazy and not exercising topped off by eating crap.

no, it isn't a hoax. it isn't the absolutely only way to lose weight, but it isn't a hoax. it is the most tested, easiest method to drop pounds. it also increases your health. what is not to like about that?

Tell me what u r doing. I would love to know. Great job
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i lost 23 lbs since january 2nd by dieting (eating right) and exercising vigorously. if it was a hoax, i imagine i wouldn't have seen results. in contrast, i gained a bunch of weight last year by being lazy and not exercising topped off by eating crap.

no, it isn't a hoax. it isn't the absolutely only way to lose weight, but it isn't a hoax. it is the most tested, easiest method to drop pounds. it also increases your health. what is not to like about that?

Tell me what u r doing. I would love to know. Great job

She said... "by dieting (eating right) and exercising vigorously"
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I totally understand (and share!) OP's frustration. I KNOW that healthy eating and exercise are the way to a longer life, stress management, and stronger physique, however, there are a lot of variables at play here that I think people neglect to realize.

The TDEE, BMR, etc and all these magic 'machines' are great as a reference but I believe people take them too literally at times. Weight loss is such a trial-and-error process as you get to know your body and what works for YOU.
    For example, I am a 5'2" very active female and I have NEVER in my life been able to handle over 1200 'clean' calories. I actually gain weight, not to mention, I hardly have the appetite to consume that much food (we're talking mostly fruits and veg, here.) Our bodies don't need as much as we think we do to subsist.
    You could plug in my stats to a BMR calculator and then plug in another female's with the same height, weight, etc, and I can promise you our actual metabolisms won't be the same, but the calculator's results will. See what I mean?

Another factor that could prevent weight loss is possible food intolerance. Have you ever thought about the effects that cheese, wheat, meat, nuts, etc might have on your body? Some people have such subtle symptoms of intolerance that you really must take note of how you feel after eating certain foods, so experiment with cutting back (or cutting out) certain things and see what happens!

On a side note, I do get sick of hearing all the celebrities and models blab about their "lean meat and vegetables" diet when we all know those people are spending 4 hours in the gym everyday and eating a leaf of lettuce for lunch (eg.Beyonce post-baby).
    Not only that, they have a team to prescribe them custom cocktails of vitamins and supplements to cover all the bases.
    Public figures are always so redundant in their advice, I can't help but roll my eyes. It's smoke and mirrors and you have to remember that we live in 2013 where people are parroting what their publicist needs them to say to avoid lawsuits when 'regular' folk attempt to achieve an ethereal body.

The point is, weight loss is a tough journey with lots of ups and downs. The more fit you get, the harder the work is to maintain it.
    Everybody is different, experiment with yourself and find out what works for you. Don't give up! Just be smart and safe about it. :)
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    Yes, it's all a giant hoax perpetrated by corporations out to make money off desperate people. And the government, it's a conspiracy too. They want us all hungry so fast food giants can take over the world. They put calories in the water to keep us all fat.

I knew it! I knew it!! Those b*st*rds!!! Knew it couldn't possibly be me keeping me fat all these years. :laugh: