How long to get up to 10k?

Options
Hi,

I'm a reasonably recent jogger, started back into it a few months or so again. I'm currently doing between 2miles and 3.5miles a few times a week, though i work out 5 times a week.

My boyfriend wants to do a 10k race at the end of April. Is it feasible for me to be able to join him - safely and without injury? I am really slow (avg 4.8mph ish), so i don't know definitely whether I would do it as he would be so much faster than me! But I was just wondering whether it was a realistic goal; or whether that is too soon?

I know there are lots of plans/apps out there - they are predominantly for a longer time period than this however.

Thanks.

Replies

• laurenkfj
    laurenkfj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is reasonable. Add a mile to one of your runs each week and you could be at 6 mi in three weeks. Run slower if you have to.
  • kevmcc22
    kevmcc22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Will your current level of fitness allow you to run/jog for about 1 hour and 15 minutes?

That would be about the time to complete a 10K at 5 mph.

Based on you already running between 6 to 12 miles a week there is time to train.

If you can make the 3.5 miles a 4 and get in one 5 miler a week by the beginning of April you should be fine.

Don't worry about speed, you are trying to build time on your feet. On race day you will need to be on your feet for around 1:15.

Good luck,

Kevin
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you can run/jog non-stop for over 30 minutes you should be ok. You sound already fit from your other workouts. Are you very overweight??? If you are not or only a little overweight you have even better cards. If you were obese and fight to run 3 miles, i'd say no. But i have noticed thin people can push their bodies more.

Keep also in mind, there is no same taking a walking break too. My last 10k. I walked/ jogged miles 3-4
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I meant no shame in walking.
  • laurenkfj
    laurenkfj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I wanted to get some opinions before i jumped into anything! I am already reasonably fit, just not a natural runner! would say Im probably under a stone overweight for my build. I will see how i get on!
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I want to add to make sure you run or run/walk at your own pace. My friends and I train together but we don't stay together on a race day. Take it at your own speed. Your friends will wait for you at the end if you are slower than they are. Who knows...one day soon you will be waiting on them. :)