Is it impossible?

Options
Do you guys think that it is impossible to lose 26kg/44lbs by summer? That's kind of my main goal right now and I don't wanna get all excited about it and then I won't reach it.

Replies

• lau4491
    lau4491 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    if you lose 10 pounds this month
    10 in april
    10 in may
    and 10 in june

you could lose 40 most people lose 8 a month ish if you are losing 2 pounds a week
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    you DON'T look like you need to lose 26 kg. i suggest you lose 26 POUNDS, not kilograms
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much weight you have to lose initially. A Person that's 100+ lbs overweight, for example, can definitely lose 40 lbs in four months. However, the closer that person gets to goal, the more their weightloss will stall and the harder it becomes to drop the lbs. So, it all depends..
  • sdleischner
    sdleischner Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    19 weeks till july 1, the healthy rate of loss is 1-2 lbs/ week. if all goes well and you acheive 2 lbs of loss a week you should be darn close by july 1
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    26kg/44lbs
    Please spend some time in the lead up to summer checking your math skills!
  • Switzer12
    Switzer12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think that is a pretty lofty goal. Don't know how much weight you have to lose, but still, 2 lbs a week on a consistent basis, to me, would be hard. I would go more for 1- 1.5 lbs. That still would be awesome. Also, don't know your age, older means harder to lose, and that's the boat I am in. Good luck.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Do you guys think that it is impossible to lose 26kg/44lbs by summer? That's kind of my main goal right now and I don't wanna get all excited about it and then I won't reach it.

Remember the higher the goal , the harder the work. If you are able to commit to the hard work, then yes it IS possible.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd give more flexibility. You're going to hit bumps in the road along the way...weight loss isn't linear. Also, weight loss is brutally slow once you get within 10-15 Lbs of goal as your body tries to hold on to what fat stores it has remaining.

Personally...I wouldn't say impossible, but I would think improbable. I had about 40 lbs to lose and it's taken be a good 5 months to lose 25 Lbs, but I started with 1 Lb per week loss because the 2 Lbs per week goal was just silly for me and not going to happen realistically. I have about 15 Lbs to go and I'm now averaging about .5 Lbs per week...just a couple of Lbs per month

I'd say be more realistic....I think setting a hard deadline like that will just cause more frustration in an already frustrating exercise.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    26 kg is 57.32 lb, not 44.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Possible yes. I dropped 40 between this point last year and July. Now was it hard yes, did I give up every social event, every piece of birthday cake, every burger, every pizza, every drink, every single pleasant food moment, and get up and move everyday even when you are sick,tired, sad, happy, stressed- yes. If you are willing to do that then its possible. Few people would be willing to do what it takes to get it done though so you might wanna cut yourself a bit more slack and find a goal pace you can live with.

Darn I looked at the other person's math. :grumble: 50 something would be even harder. Get ready to hack off a limb to make that number.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    ... I am sure it is possible, but rapid weight loss often results in loose skin. I would suggest tempering your expectations and going slower.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    44lbs = 20 kg.

and yes 20 kg is possible, thats my goal too
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Impossible, no. Improbable, yes. There are a lot of factors at play in achieving even a 2 lb/week loss. First, how much extra weight do you have right now? The more you have over the goal of 26kg the more likely you can hit that goal. If you only have 26kg, those last few pounds as you get close to a healthy weight will be hard fought and most people cannot sustain a 2lbs loss when they only have 10 or so lbs to lose. Second is how you plan on going about getting the 2 lbs loss a week. I have seen a lot of people stall on a low calorie intake when they bust their butts in the gym (a very common approach to get a 1000 cal/day deficit). Not everyone, but most people cannot prevent a plateau doing that. Eating more and having a balanced exercise plan made up of both cardio and strength training can often be a more sustainable loss, but takes time since the deficit is usually not as great.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, and I'm sure there are some examples of people doing it on MFP. What I'm trying to hit on is that if you are already worried about failing at this impressive goal, you may want to reevaluate and aim for a more achievable goal that has less pressure. If you feel that you will get discouraged on the weeks you don't see 2 lbs gone, why would you decide to torment yourself that way? There will almost certainly be a time where the scale is not your friend and if that makes you "give up" and revert back to old habits what is the point?

I'm not trying to be a Debby Downer, just trying to keep it honest. Can you do it? Sure, on paper it is feasible. Do I know many people that have accomplished similar goals? Yes, but they didn't have any easy road doing it.

Edit to fix kg numbers....this will now be a bi-measurement standards post.
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    From what country are you, season vary according to location. My summer is ending currently. Give a time range instead of a seasonal one.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • pippaalves2
    pippaalves2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    26kg/44lbs
    Please spend some time in the lead up to summer checking your math skills!
    it's actually 57lbs, you're right
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    What is your height? Current weight? Goal weight?

The question cannot be answered without this information.

However, I will say that the person in the photograph appears to be of a normal body weight and size.
  • pippaalves2
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! English is not my native language and lbs-kg convertion is hard for me, I know I was wrong and I'm sorry!
    My starting weight is 71kg, I don't look like I weigh that much but I do. According to my doctor, it's not a healthy weight for my age and height. I know I can work hard and I can eat healthy as long as I'm motivated for it.
    I simply wanted to know if it was possible, and now that I do, I'm gonna work hard for it. Thanks again!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is really only healthy when you have quite a lot to lose.

Mentality is key. Why not resolve to sticking to your plans and goals, resolve to losing 1lb a week? See how you feel at the beginning summer and reassess your goals then. Better to get to the summer halfway to your ultimate goal than to give up after a couple of weeks because you aren't seeing the results you want.

I agree with the poster above- if that's a recent picture of you in your thumbnail, 44 lbs is a lot.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Your are 71kg and you want to go down to 45kg. Do you mind if I ask how tall you are, and why you've picked 45kg as a target weight. I'm sure its possible to achieve (although difficult) - but be sure you want to go down by that much - its a lot!
  • pippaalves2
    Options
    I am 170cm, and I chose that goal weight because most of my friends who are my age and similar height weigh around 45-50kg. I guess it's the normal weight, isn't it?