What was your AH HA! moment to get started?

Options

Replies

• SKMC0214
    SKMC0214 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had many small AHA's that were not quite what I needed. Vacations pics, not being able to participate in activities with the family. A very close friend has been doing MFP since August of last year and has went from a size 22 to a 9, she looks amazing. Anyway, my final AHA was when I had begun wheezing when even walking short distances, like from my car to my office at work. or through the grocery store, I felt and looked horrible. My feet and legs would swell so bad, I could not wear shoes and looking like they were going to explode. I had a really bad wheezing day on Jan. 20 and realized the next day would have been my beloved fathers 74th birthday, however, we lost him when he was only 49, which was the end result of morbid obesity. I in 3 weeks I would to turn 45 and realized it was my time to make a change because I was following too closely in his footsteps. My Journey began on January 21, I am down 21 lbs and 70+ inches. The sky is the limit and this is my time to shine!!! Good luck to you all!!!

Congratulations on your success! I am also very sorry for your loss. I'm sure he would be very proud of you!

I would also definitely have to say this is similar to my wakeup call, as far as the feet swelling. I work at a job that requires me to be on my feet about 8 hours a day, and I see my coworkers handling it so gracefully, while my feet are putting me in misery the entire day. At some moments I would try to sneak a ''sit-down'' lol. The only thing I focused on all day was the pain. Definitely not good.
    [/quote]
    Thanks so much, I know he is, and for once in my life, I am proud of me too. I got this !!! I had the opposite issue, I sit down at my job for 8-10 hours a day, but you are correct, the swelling is so painful, no one could explain unless they have experienced it. You are going absolutely great and congrats on you current and upcoming success. :)
  • phylsyl
    phylsyl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hitting the magic 200#! Been there and back a few times. Felt best at about 145-150. Harder to lose when you"re older, but better!!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Gave birth to my second daughter and weighed in at 206, which was actually 2 pounds less than when I got pregnant for her. I realized that I didn't want my girls to grow up with the obese parents I grew up with. I want to be a participant in their lives. I want to raise them to be healthy, with healthy habits. I don't want to raise them to be obese, as my parents raised me. I don't want to sit on the sidelines of their lives. And I don't want them to grow up with the weight issues I have grown up with.
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • davidjl3
    davidjl3 Posts: 30
    Options
    My kids askind me if I was pregnant..
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I couldn't get my size 14 dress pants buttoned comfortably to wear Christmas Day. I knew I didn't want to start buying bigger clothes. I stepped on the scale to see the damage, and I weighed 165lbs. I had too much going on in January to start with a game plan then, so I waited until February 1st, this year.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My kids askind me if I was pregnant..

Now that's funny.
  • stefi2107
    stefi2107 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k with my friends in November 2011 and couldn't run any of it and was miserable and out of breath, meanwhile athletic husband and our friends ran the whole thing. I realized that enough was enough! The next day I started exercising and eating better. In November 2012 I ran the exact same 5k the entire way and beat my time from the year before by 20 minutes and 108 pounds lighter. :)
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I started deciding what to wear in the mornings based on what I could squeeze into. I was only fitting into 3 pairs of jeans and 3 dress slacks. My work started a biggest loser challenge around that time and now I'm not only getting really healthy and learning about my body, but I might win $400 bucks on top of it.
  • Hoop4la
    Hoop4la Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The picture of me in my bathing suit in Thailand .... gross .. I was shocked ! then i put on 7lb over xmas !
    I decided 2013 was going to be my year
  • sharonrandle
    Options
    My wedding photos. I should want to display them proudly, instead they stay on a disk hidden under my sox
  • mumreeder
    mumreeder Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    <===== The picture of me in my swimming costume on holiday - that finally did it for me. Just knew if I don't sort this weight out now I will just end up bigger and bigger.
  • fIashforward
    fIashforward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Buying a Lumia which is Windows Phone and having "Download MyFitnessPal" thrown in my face every time I opened the app store - I eventually tried it. I guess Windows knew I was fat LOL.

But really, that's just why I downloaded MFP. I actually don't mind being big, but going to college I though I'd better lose some weight so I did. I lost about 2 stone from April to September and I've now gone from around 18 stone to 13. Thats 5 stones lost, or roughly 70lbs
  • helenx55
    helenx55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Loosing my mom so suddenly, at her funeral her sons/grandsons/son in law carried her coffin which was tiny and i recall thinking ''omg if i died my husband/sons/brother wouldnt be able to lift my coffin.
    Later on in the day releasing a dove for her i couldnt wait to sit down as my back was killing me!!! its not like i can have a re-run of that is it.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Feeling fat,uncomfortable and extremely unhappy because of it.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I went on a wonderful beach vacation with my fiance and family and never wanted to put on a swim suit... That was when I realized I really needed a change. So far so good!! I'm hoping by the wedding in 2014 I will be a much happier size
  • powrwrap
    powrwrap Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Three things in a week did it for me. Last August I had bought a new pair of pants that fit me perfectly (36" waist, I'm 6' 3"). I had forgotten all about them until the last week in January. I was going to wear them but couldn't fit into them, not even close. I decided to weigh myself and I was at 230 lbs. I've never weighed that much in my life, usually I'm around 215. At a doctor's visit on Jan 31st for a routine physical exam the doctor told me I would need to lose at least 20 lbs. and take high blood pressure meds. If I didn't do it he said, "YOU WILL HAVE A STROKE, it's just a matter of time." I decided that Super Bowl Sunday would be the last day I ate like an idiot. I started MFP on February 4th. My goal is to get down to at least 205 and quit taking the meds.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i recovered from a major debilitating injury, during which time i promised myself if i survived i would get back into running and really start to live my life for those of "us" with my condition who died. THEN, i had issues getting out of bed in the morning to get going. I made a comment to my husband that I was having trouble finding the motivation. He emailed an article about it NOT being motivation, it was a lack of follow-through. I read that article and something just CLICKED. I didn't want to be the one who didn't follow through.......... started getting my *kitten* up........... and here I am!
  • JessiAnn88
    JessiAnn88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    when I realized that the only pants I owned that fit me were my maternity ones!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    A picture I saw of myself. I thought, "Wow, do I really look like that to other people?" I wish I knew where it was so that I could use it for inspiration whenever I feel like binge eating.
    [/quote

I think of this now when i see older pictures but, my Ah ha moment came when i was having many tests for pain i was having , getting scared at what they were looking for and finding out nothing was wrong....it was me being so heavy that was causing my pain it turns out.