Running stretches

Options
Hey everyone
I recently started running a couple of months ago and I never stretch before or after my run. Right now, I don't feel any negative implications from this, but I'm afraid I will be soon.
So, my question to the forum is what kind of stretches do you do before you run, and do it do it before every run? I have routes of 2.5, 5, and 8 miles. Do I need to stretch before my 2.5 mile run?

Replies

• Zeke351
    Zeke351 Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't do any stretching before my runs. I go out slow and easy the first .5 to 1 mile and that is my warm up. I do stretch for 15 minutes AFTER my run. For me it helps minimize any soreness if I pushed hard on the run.
  • Master_Dragon
    Master_Dragon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Minimizing soreness will be great about my first half marathon in a few weeks. What kind of stretches do you do afterwards?
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You will find that stretching before and after is very important especially as speed and distance increases. It would be a good idea to start making it a regular part of your workout now. I'd recommend checking out the Runners World website they have an amazing amount of info and videos. Stretching will definitely help to keep injuries at bay and make running at lot more enjoyable.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I also don't stretch before running. After running I do full body stretching: standing quad stretch, hip flexor, hamstrings and calf, IT band stretching, glute stretches and then general shoulder. After a long run, I will do these immediately after and then 1-2 more times throughout the day.

Stretching is important, but I did want to say that dynamic stretching has been shown to be more beneficial the static stretching before activity:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/stretching/dynamic-routine
  • Master_Dragon
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I will check out that site and start integrating the stretches into my routine. :)
  • Master_Dragon
    Options
    That's the type of advice I was looking for Valerie! Thanks a bunch. I never would have thought about doing it throughout the day too.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way LOL Shorter runs, I still stretch, but I could just go on with no problems. I am training for a 1/2 as well and have found that 7+ miles require lots more stretching for me. Good luck with your training!
  • Master_Dragon
    Options
    Thank you! And same to you :)