Tuna

Options
what do you guys do to make Tuna taste good, I choke it down almost everyday but its starting to wear on me, MAyo is out of question since loaded with fat.

Replies

• skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Chunk light tuna in water. I drain it and put it on whole wheat bread. When I go out to eat I get the real ahi tuna and that is much better.
  • AutumnBride
    AutumnBride Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I prepare tuna, I put in fresh lemon juice, horseradish, a little relish or chopped pickle, green onion, pepper and a bit of light mayo (which is 35 calories and 4 gr of fat in a tbsp). If you don't want to do mayo, you could do plain greek yogurt. Or you could use heart healthy olive oil, but that will have more fat than a bit of mayo.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I mix it with either plain greek yogurt, hummus, or both, drizzle hot sauce over it, and put it on a whole wheat tortilla. LOVE IT! Tuna is one of my favorite sources of protein.
  • FitSlimHappy
    Options
    I put plenty of vinegar and pepper on mine, and sometimes 'Lighter Than Light' Hellmans Mayo which is like 10 kcals a tablespoon!
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    Cook with it. Use Indian sauces or make it spicy with jalapeños and spices. Then have with rice, brown bread or on its own. Maybe add some grated cheese. Yummy.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Mix it with avocado, red onion and garlic wrap in lettuce

Or throw it into a salad.
  • ProperBrutalPig
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/barbies-tuna-salad/

That is my favorite tuna salad recipe. The Parmesan cheese really gives it a good flavor. I only use a third of the mayo the recipe calls for, & omit the curry powder simple because I don't have any. I make this into a tuna melt on whole grain bread.
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Mustard :)
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    Never heard of people using greek yogurt in there tuna ill definitely be trying that one. never thought about mustard either that would prlly cover the taste pretty well.
  • Wickedone1973
    Options
    Drain and add some hot sauce (tabasco, texas pete, etc.) right out of the pouch or can. I also like traditional tuna salad with very little low fat mayo, onion, pickle, hard boiled egg and pepper to taste.
  • Mita19
    Mita19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    tomato, red onion jalapeno and lime juice ;)
  • chl823
    chl823 Posts: 48
    Options
    I drained well, and 1 to 2 tablespoon of dill relish, one boiled egg chopped and very little mayo, salt and pepper. I take can tuna and place in frig when I come home from store so when I make it already chilled. Taste much better when cold.
  • chl823
    chl823 Posts: 48
    Options
    Forgot to mention I toast rye bread and have with lettuce and tomato.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    i put a pouch in my spinach salad put pepper on it and some lemon juice.
  • jsjp
    jsjp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I mix my tuna with one tbsp of lite miracle whip, some onion, celery, a few green olives and a bit of the olive juice. Delicious in a whole grain pocket thin.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Have it with oil and vinegar and pepper
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    has anyone tried plain greek yoghurt and tuna? i was wondering about this combo but wasnt sure if it would work!
  • missjeevious
    missjeevious Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i like fat. Fat tastes good- i use 1 tbsp of mayo, some grainy mustard and some sambal oelek. Delicious!
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    what do you guys do to make Tuna taste good, I choke it down almost everyday but its starting to wear on me, MAyo is out of question since loaded with fat.

I use hellman's light mayo, just ONE tbsp, only adds abut 30 cals. I cannot deal with tuna unless it's got the mayo and relish so I use light mayo and I adjusted to using less (just the one tbsp). Starkist now makes already mixed tuna salad in a 100-calorie pouch, and has only 3g fat .

They also make pouches of other favored ones (less than 100 cal) - one is a zesty tuna mix (90cal) and one is lemon pepper (80 cal) - perfect for on the go and perfect to dump in a veggie wrap!
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I either put Franks Buffalo sauce on it and put it on a arnolds 100 cal bread OR mix the tuna with chopped artichokes (from a can) and diced black olives and serve in a pita pocket, Both are really good.