Giving up diet coke - any suggestions on an alternatives?

Options

Replies

• dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just a word about this. If this is regular diet coke and you are not going to drink anything with caffeine, be prepared for headaches. Caffeine withdrawl causes massive headaches. The process takes about 30 days.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet and often go for the real thing.

You can replace it with seltzer and lemon (or any kind of fruit mixed in).

You can make a spritzer with 1/2 juice, 1/2 seltzer.

Tea with honey is great. (Herbal tea is better than caffeinated.)

Or, even iced tea. Camomile is a sweet tea, which tastes really good chilled. Add some honey before cooling tea for a little more sweetness.
  • kraf
    kraf Posts: 1
    Options
    I gave up diet coke about 2 years ago and i lost 5 pounds without doing anything else. go to water with some lemon in it instead. you will probably find that you drink soda out of habit not becuase you really want it. if you need more flavoring go to home brewed ice tea with some lemon or lemonade in it.
  • FitSlimHappy
    Options
    I've replaced Coke & Pepsi with flavoured spring water. Tastes amazing and is the perfect thing when plain water just won't do.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    get mio or koolaid liquid and trick your water bottles.....lol......any pop is bad if your trying to lose weight......
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've started adding a couple slices of cucumber to my water. It gives it a refreshing taste. They continue to flavor a couple glasses of water, then I eat them and start with fresh slices. Yum!

I do this with lemon slices. I'll keep them in my glass all day and refill it with water. I don't eat them though.
  • music2hisears
    music2hisears Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any soda anymore. I drink mostly water, teas, and the occasional cup of coffee. Interestingly enough, I lost 3 lbs in the first week without it. Yes, you get a headache at first, but once that subsides, you don't miss it.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Make a pitcher of iced tea. Here's the caveat: make it a GOOD pitcher of tea. Most people make crappy tasting (bitter) tea. In my opinion, Luzianne makes the best tea for iced tea http://www.luzianne.com/site305.php

I can't get it in Oregon, so I order it and have it shipped to me. When you make the tea do not leave the tea bags in the water for more than 5 minutes (sometimes 3 minutes is enough). Longer than 5 minutes and your tea will be bitter. (If you aren't adding sugar or sweetener, the you'll probably like the tea brewed closer to 3 minutes.) Do not make "sun tea." I never had a glass of sun tea that didn't taste horrible.

Here's a "How to" for more info: http://www.teamuse.com/article_090603.html

Stash Tea also makes some exceptionally delicious iced tea blends. My favorite is this peach flavor. http://www.stashtea.com/iced-Shop-by-Type-Tea/b/2858808011

On the up side. Tea does not contain artificial ingredients and it contains healthy anti-oxidants.
  • carbonated water has the fizz and no calories,sugar or sodium depending on the brand
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    gave up all soda (diet and otherwise) 15 months ago. Flavored water, Teas, anything that resolves your thirst. Tell you true after so long without, I ordered one in a restaurant one evening and made it through two sips before I ordered something else, totally tasted disgusting.
  • DWCPHC
    DWCPHC Posts: 8
    Options
    My husband really likes the flavored water sold at WalMart. I prefer coffee...
  • Alesanarose1
    Alesanarose1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    ...Water?
  • Cole114a
    Cole114a Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have lost 120 pounds still drinking copious amounts of Diet Coke. Nothing wrong with it, just a lot of mumbo jumbo talk.
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on giving up diet colas. I don't use artificial sweeteners for anything and what I've read about them isn't good. If you have a cup of black tea or coffee now and then, these have caffeine, and you shouldn't have a headache, and they are natural, especially good in warm climates if you drink them iced. Good luck. I still have the occasional Diet cola but it doesn't taste so good anymore.
  • lindenanne
    Options
    No need to replace it!!! I only drink a Coke as a treat, out at dinner, maybe once a month? Water is all I drink on a daily basis - haven't been a "soda drinker" in 18 years. If you really need something different, try putting cucumbers, strawberries or something like that in your water to infuse it. Soda is just crap - I'm not saying don't treat yourself, but it's crap.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet soda a few years ago and replaced it with mostly water and far too much beer ;) But I also like Steaz, a brand of canned flavored green or white teas sweetened with stevia. And sometimes drink Izze, a kind of sparkling juice.
  • ohyousillygirl
    ohyousillygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like lipton diet green tea, i was surprised when I discovered it actually tastes good.
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I love grapefruit perrier sparkling water. Or any other sparkling water for that matter. It gives you that refreshing, bubbly feeling on your tongue, but without harmful additives.
  • hap1792
    hap1792 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    try putting slices of lemon, lime, orange, cucumbers in a pitcher in the fridge. when i first gave up diet drinks that what i did. now i am just happy with water. if i want flavor i will add a slice of citrus. good luck.
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Caffine free pop. Or gatorade is really good