Finding it hard on a dairy free diet?anyone else dairy free?

Options
I'm only a few days in to a dairy free diet as I have a intolerance to the protein fat in the milk and I need to be on a strict dairy free for the next thee months. Oh and I'm egg free for 4 weeks.
At the moment I seem to be hungrier and wanting to eat every 1/2hours.

Breakfast isn't too bad but I don't want to just be eating cereal/toast . I need more healthy ideas for lunch/dinner too.
I'm finding it harder to manage protein intake I seem to be eating too many carbs since cutting dairy out . I
I want to balance it but i just don't know how. Should I eat more greens, fish?

Also for snack ideas I'm not sure what snacks apart from fruits I can't eat nuts as I'm allergic to them.

Do you have any meal ideas or even sites with recipes? What do you dairy free people eat?

Replies

• rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I became (noticed that I was?) lactose intolerant about 3 years ago. I can't even do Lactaid or yogurt like many can. I also don't like eggs. I had a miserable few months to begin with. I HAD to find alternatives as I was getting sick of the same "safe" stuff day after day. The best thing I did was try many alternative milks. Almond, soy, rice, coconut are all readily available in my area. Don't assume that you don't like one after only one brand because all brands taste different and have their own yucky/yummy texture. It takes money and time to try everything, but it's worth it when you find one that you actually look forward to adding to your safe cereal! Yes, I have to have carbs, but I make sure they are all as wholesome as possible... no white bread, instant white rice, Ritz, Oreos, or Cheerios!

Snacks - brown rice cakes, edamame, hummus, seeds, air-popped popcorn, (I haven't spent the time/money to try all of the yogurt alternatives, but I really need to)

Breakfast - non-dairy smoothie w/protein powder, breakfast burrito, tofu scramble, homemade dairy-free muffins w/whole grains

Meals - taco salad, baked meats & fish, dry beans, whole wheat pasta

I don't know if that helps. I'm still trying to figure out this HEALTHY dairy-free thing over the past month. (What I've been doing for the past few years was not healthy, and it shows!) It's really frustrating when the most popular, easiest to prepare, healthy, high-protein snacks and meals are milk-based. I'll be watching this thread for more ideas!
  • rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    For some past MFP posts on this google:

site:myfitnesspal.com forum lactose

Heading off to do some reading myself! Enjoy.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant although I can eat small amounts of yogurt. I use almond milk in place of regular milk. I don't drink it alone but it's great on cereal or in cooking or for smoothies.
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am dairy free also, i get lots of ideas from google, search dairy free snacks, meals deserts whatever. Also i am doing the "eating clean" way of eating with some adaptations due to costs and there is lost of ideas in her cook books. I usually eat breakfast, oatmeal with npn sweetened soy milk and half an apple or half wheat bagel with soynut butter and sugar free preserves, lunch a salad or leftovers and dinner fish, chicken with lots of veggies. Use whole wheat only or brown rice, sweet potatoes etc. Snack, hummus and veggies, apple and soynut butter.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This sort of indirectly answers your question, but perhaps you could talk to your doctor/nutritionist about consuming kefir. Apparently, a lot of people with lactose intolerance are able to tolerate it due to the large amount of (beneficial) bacteria in it - much more than you'll generally find in yogurt. It's something to consider, at least, and may help a bit with dairy cravings.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It's not the lactose I'm allergic to just the protein in the milk. Also allergic to egg whites the protein part as well.

Is vegan recipes another good idea for meal ideas?

I've been really tired dairy free , I don't know if I accidently had things containing milk. I may give up gluten I had loads of energy when I gave that up for a while but I didn't come out as allergic/intolerant to it in the test. Or maybe I'm not eating enough nutrients that I need daily. I'm not sure i eat the healthiest of meals even though I avoid processed food most of the time.
  • KristaHuyer
    Options
    I've been lactose intolerant for 3 years, and its still SO hard for me. When i am on my own.. i eat a cheesy pizza, cause I can't resist, and I suffer the pain.
    BUT, like everyone else has said, there are soo many milks out there that won't affect you. I love the almond milks. Try almond breeze chocolate milk. It is so so good, and no milk fats, protein, lactose etc that could affect you.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What are some lunch ideas?
    Lunch is the hardest meal to figure out.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    A sandwich, a salad, leftovers from last night, soup. Giving up dairy is not hard at all. I've been lactose intolerant for 30 years now and it's not a problem.
  • mrsgeneric
    mrsgeneric Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Im severely lactose n tolerant and i can have greek yogurt because it is very high in bactiral culture.
    I also have a powder its called vances darifree. I just add water and its like milk. U can friend me and i can give u tips here n there:)
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and my husband gluten intolerant so we try lots of almond milk and coconut milk stay away from soy. I also pop almonds when I get hungry great protien.
  • nichelle02
    Options
    A sandwich, a salad, leftovers from last night, soup. Giving up dairy is not hard at all. I've been lactose intolerant for 30 years now and it's not a problem.

This. I've been lactose intolerant since I was a kid and I'll be 46 on Tuesday. I use almond milk when I want cereal for breakfast. And I use coconut milk sometimes in a morning smoothie (spinach, frozen fruit and anything else that sounds good). I enjoy a salad at least once per day.

Good luck.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I became (noticed that I was?) lactose intolerant about 3 years ago. I can't even do Lactaid or yogurt like many can...

If you can't handle lactose-free dairy, maybe you have a casein (milk protein) intolerance like me.

OP, I feel your pain. My favorite food in the whole world is cheese and I can't have it. The fake cheeses are nasty and poor substitutes, so I just do without. It's worth it not being sick, inflamed and in pain all the time, though! I still crave it once or twice a day. :sad:
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    My daughter is allergic to milk protein, so to save cooking different meals, we all eat dairy free for meal times. We have found the Alpro range of soya products really good- the chocolate milk warmed up is SO yummy, the little cartons of single "cream" added to pasta with lots of veg make an easy, quick and tasty meal. Have you tried goats milk or cheese? Goats cheese is better cooked I find, but still an acquired taste!
    The alpro yoghurts are lovely too, especially the new smooth ones. Porridge for breakfast made with sweetened soya milk is good if you're fed up of toast!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Due to feeling super sick for a few days and chronically having digestive woes, I drastically changed my diet. I am dairy free, soy free, gluten free, organic AND eat non-inflammatory foods as much as possible.

The biggest help in going dairy free is using almond or rice milk. There are also soy based yogurts and milk, but lots of people who are lactose intolerant are also soy intolerant.

Try Googling "list of non dairy foods", "dairy substitutes", etc. I came up with lots of helpful info this way.

I also ordered some 3X Nutribiotic - Rice Protein Powder from Amazon to make shakes and smoothies with. There are also other rice based protein powders which have various additives, for energy, etc. I prefer the pure rice one myself, so I know exactly what's "going in".
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    How about smoothies made with banana, berries, rice protein powder and a non dairy milk, you can even add spinach.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I went dairy free 25 years ago because my child couldn't tolerate any dairy and I was nursing him. For me, it wasn't that hard. Rice or almond milk took care of the liquid dairy. Calcium-fortified orange juice, just to be on the safe side. Lots of vegetables and whole grains. I didn't miss the cheese. A lot of processed food disappeared from my diet because of the lactose/whey, which was all to the good. When I was 100% no dairy -that was the healthiest I have ever been.
  • BeccaBollons
    Options
    Another good idea is putting breadcrumbs on top of a dinner you would usually put cheese on before baking, like pasta bakes, or even a lasagne.
    For lunches, my daughter has ham and salad cream sandwich almost everyday! But she does like tuna with pasta or in a sandwich too. A tuna salad would be a great healthy dairy free lunch.
    Snacks- couple squares dark chocolate?
    Jacobs crackers with avocado spread on (and a sliver of ham-yum!!)
    Soya yoghurt
    Cereal bar
    Raisins
    Cucumber sticks
    Carrot sticks
    Marmite on toast?
  • rana_bear
    rana_bear Posts: 55
    Options
    Like you, i am allergic to the protein in milk. I think it's probably harder then being lactose free because there are so many lactose free products on the market (cheese, milk and yoghurt substitutes). Soy is an option but can be harmful. I prefer coconut milk, almond milk and/rice milk.

I am also gluten free but tend to avoid buying and baking gluten free breads, cakes, etc. This is what i would typically eat
    - Breakfast: eggs (boiled, poached or grilled) with or without cooked veggies, veggie juice, milk shake (made w almond milk, banana, cinnamon, honey) or fruit salad with chia seeds
    - i snack on mixed nuts, fruit, carrot sticks in dip (plenty of gluten and dairy free ones on the market if you don't want to make your own) and the occasional dark chocolate (check ingredient label to see if contains milk)
    - Lunch is nearly always salad with tinned tuna, salmon or sardines. To bulk it up you can add bread, brown rice, pasta or beans.
    - Dinner is usually mostly meat and veg. Ie. steak or grilled fish with steamed veg and mash potato, slow cooked bolognese served with squash, roast meat and veg, stews, stir fries, etc.
  • BeccaBollons
    Options
    Sorry me again- just rememberd a gorgeous ice cream. Swedish glace. I choose it over dairy ice cream. Get it at sainsburys, black hexagonal tub.