Who works-out with a significant other?

Options
I was just curious how many people regularly work out with someone else like a spouse or SO, or if most people work out solo?

I've always been way more into working out than my husband. He's naturally tall (6'8") and skinny and I'm pretty sure has never had a gym membership in his life. He stays active in the summer golfing (regular and disc) and such, but is very sedentary in the winter (we live in Iowa). I convinced him somehow to do the 30 day shred with me, and we just finished day 12 together. I'm shocked he's stuck with it! I feel more motivated than ever to keep up with it because I know that if I don't want to do a day, he'll skip out too. It's actually been a lot of fun working out together! I have to admit, I'm kind of jealous though. I've already noticed a loss in his little beer belly/ponch, and I feel like I look the same if not bigger. Will keep persisting though!

Replies

• AA1ex
    AA1ex Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My husband and I workout together when I want to because I have always been into working out and eating right. I enjoy myself and my fitness dvds but working out with my husband is the only time he ever does anything fitness wise.
  • Willkathmum
    Willkathmum Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My husband and I work out together, we have converted the garage into a sort of home gym so when we are lifting we go in together. We don't run together, one because one of us has to stay with the kids, but also he is much faster than me!
    He has worked out with weights for years so is quite strong, so as we don't have a squat rack he is the only way I can get the weight onto my shoulders :)
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend works out with me when he can since sometimes his schedule and mine don't align and I'm the one with the membership. I like going with him because its more fun and he does motivate me. He is more of a nature guy so he is more apt to want to go for a hike or bike ride then the gym. I rather go for a hike too!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Wife and I do cardio and lift together
  • Angeloftheshore
    Angeloftheshore Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A little of both. He is a distance runner and I am not, yet ;) So that, no we don't do. But we do yoga, fitness video's, gym, other activities like rock climbing, together.
  • Soontobethinlindsay
    Options
    My hubby and I go to the gym together, but he heads to the pool and I head to the ellipticals. Right now I have been a lot more motivated than he is, its good to push each other!
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I run wiht my husband 4 days a week. The other days we are on our own since there just isn't room for us both to be swinging kettle bells around or sit on the bike seat together...now that could be interesting...:blushing:
  • WickedZoey
    WickedZoey Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My husband is naturally thin. We work out together occasionally (i love when we do) but most of the time I go alone... SIGH!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We tend to run, or ski, or cycle together on the weekends. During the week he runs and lifts before I'm awake. I work out before work, or at noon.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I live on campus in a dorm, down the hall from each other, so naturally we at least ask if the other wants to go when we go to the gym. I go more often than he does, and sometimes he insists on not going when I do, but I'd say we work out together at least once a week. We help each other out. I'm trying to get to his level of strength training and he's trying to catch my flexibility and cardio endurance.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Do Bro's count?

no homo.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My husband is recently retired, and we walk daily together. We are both at our goal weight, and made a lifestyle change together. He started about a year after I did.

Marie
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Not me, I wish.
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I lift together and we recently finished P90X together. I love working out with him, although it's not always possible. He refuses to pay for a gym membership, so he can't join me for Zumba, and although I like doing races with him, we run totally different paces, so we don't run together. :laugh:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    That's a very personal question.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we work out together. Occasionally, we'll go to the gym together. We play golf together and we play on the same co-ed softball team together. We ride our bikes a lot in the summer as well. But if we're going for a run, he's a foot taller than me and I could never keep up. Most of the time, I'm solo, but it's fun to workout with him too.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I also have a tall hubby, he is 6'6". He was skinny when I met him 38 years ago. Now that we are older we have both put on a few extra pounds. We rarely workout indoors together. We bike ride or walk together outdoors. I get up before him and do my workout and then when he wakes up I am usually finishing up and it is his turn. We have a well equipped home gym in our basement.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have always enjoyed walking and hiking together but we finally figure out a way to juggle our schedules, and the kids, so we can deadlift together. Now THAT is fun!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I work out with my husband. I wanted to start free weights so I started going with him to the gym on base. Hopefully by the time he deploys I'll be confident enough to keep going on my own.
  • hebehrens
    hebehrens Posts: 55
    Options
    That's great that so many people work out with their SOs! I think you are much more likely to stay healthy long-term if your partner is at least into being healthy as well - even if you don't necessarily work out together.

I'll never forget the first time I asked my husband (then boyfriend) if he wanted to go for a walk with me. He said "Sure, where are we going?" He was utterly baffled when I told him I just wanted to walk around the neighborhood - not to a store or a particular destination.

I guess since that time we have walked together fairly regularly. But him actually agreeing to work out with me is a recent thing.