The more I read the more confused I get

Options
I have been researching for a couple of weeks trying to find the best way to lose weight and eat healthier but the more I read the more confused I get. Everyone has different ideas about how to calculate BMR's, calorie/carb/protein ratio's, excercise programs, restrict carbs or restrict fat and the list goes on and on and on. It's frustrating!!! :angry:

(I know this is going to stir up a lot of controversy but here goes anyway) At 220 lbs I started on a low carb diet a year ago and lost 51 lbs. I liked low carb eating 1. Because it worked for me 2. It was pretty straight forward on what you should and should not eat. 3. Only had to track carbs for it to work. Unfortunately, about 8 months into it, it stopped working for me so I decided to try the lower fat, lower calorie way. The exact opposite of what I was doing!

I realize the simple approach is to consume less calories and excercise more but I'm looking for more information than that. First of all, I want to lose FAT not muscle. I don't want to hinder the process by eating less than I should and make my body go into starvation mode to survive. I want to get the biggest bang for my buck by doing it right but I don't want to do this by trial and error and waste a month or two trying to get it right. Surely it's not that difficult to figure out. Am I over thinking this or am I missing something???

So here I am with 40 pounds to go to reach my goal and no idea the best way to go about doing it. There is just so much information out there it's hard to know what's right and what's wrong. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I am 45 yrs old, 5'3", 169lbs and female.
If you made it this far....THANKS FOR READING THIS RANT!! :smile:

Replies

• princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    1. Keep it simple, don't over-complicate things
    2. Listen to your body
    3. Give your body the nutrients it needs
    4. Take it slowly - you can't rush a masterpiece
  • carolep2407
    Options
    I do tend to over think things LOL I guess my biggest fear is I'll waste time trying different things and do more damage than good.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Google BMR caculator...it will help imensly I found that MFP shoots out a number that is below BMR at least it did for me. Or you can search In place of a roadmap by helloitsdan. Just click on the blue search above the message borads. Hope this helps. And good luck on your jurney. Please excuse the bad spelling.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively sure that MFP uses some form of the formula below to calculate your daily goal for calories. If you're using your flat BMR, then MFP would definitely seem high.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I may only help to confuse you more.
    I am not sure I buy into the BMR deal. I had my BMR tested to get an accurate read on what the calculations were telling me.
    Prior to exercising and losing... my BMR was lower than what the calculators estimated... and after working out and losing 35 lbs it is now slightly higher than what its est by calculation.
    That being said... I have done the eat above BMR or BMR x 1.375... which for me is 2500 cals. Then I subtract to have a deficient... by 20-30%....yet I still don't lose regardless of what I eat unless I am working out 4+ days a week.
    All I can tell you is... you have to figure out what works for you and that just takes time... and trial and error unfortunately.
    Good luck to ya!
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Eat the way our grandparents ate (fresh, from your geological area if possible). If it's close to it's naturally occurring state your body can process the nutrients, etc. from the food. With all the information out there its impossible to get an "answer". What you need to do is figure out what you can do "forever" as the new way you eat needs to be a life long change.

I cut out as much processed foods as possible (that said there are many good items out there...LARA and KIND bars, rice cakes, etc). If there's 10 or less ingredients AND you can pronounce the ingredients then it's probably and ok item. I cut out as much sugar as possible (still eat honey, maple syrup) and I am gluten intolerant so I don't eat any gluten (wheat) products. I also don't eat soy due to a thyroid but soy can be a very dangerous ingredient (read and develop your own opinion)

I researched what vitamins I need (due to my food intolerance) and I make my own "recovery drinks" after working out.

Eat what you like (don't get stuck eating food you hate), eat small portions (get a scale so you know what a portion is) and drink lots of water. Find an exercise you love and do it...walking, biking, running, sports, etc.

Best of luck....you CAN do it!!!
  • ldbuster0
    ldbuster0 Posts: 207
    Options
    I have been researching for a couple of weeks trying to find the best way to lose weight and eat healthier but the more I read the more confused I get. Everyone has different ideas about how to calculate BMR's, calorie/carb/protein ratio's, excercise programs, restrict carbs or restrict fat and the list goes on and on and on. It's frustrating!!! :angry:

(I know this is going to stir up a lot of controversy but here goes anyway) At 220 lbs I started on a low carb diet a year ago and lost 51 lbs. I liked low carb eating 1. Because it worked for me 2. It was pretty straight forward on what you should and should not eat. 3. Only had to track carbs for it to work. Unfortunately, about 8 months into it, it stopped working for me so I decided to try the lower fat, lower calorie way. The exact opposite of what I was doing!

I realize the simple approach is to consume less calories and excercise more but I'm looking for more information than that. First of all, I want to lose FAT not muscle. I don't want to hinder the process by eating less than I should and make my body go into starvation mode to survive. I want to get the biggest bang for my buck by doing it right but I don't want to do this by trial and error and waste a month or two trying to get it right. Surely it's not that difficult to figure out. Am I over thinking this or am I missing something???

So here I am with 40 pounds to go to reach my goal and no idea the best way to go about doing it. There is just so much information out there it's hard to know what's right and what's wrong. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I am 45 yrs old, 5'3", 169lbs and female.
    If you made it this far....THANKS FOR READING THIS RANT!! :smile:

I am kinda in the same situation you are. Seems like you just told the story of my life although my highest weight was 190. I started the beginning of the year doing the 3 day diet. I lost and regained some of the same pounds. In about a month I lost about 4 pounds doing this. Then, I started reading on this site that it was a bad idea. So, I started doing 1200 calories. I lost about a pound in a month so I did more research and more said that was like starvation mode. So, I started doing TDEE-20% and 5:2 intermittent fasting. I haven't lost anything yet, but I am going to just stick with this. I am not trying anything else right now because so many people are saying everything. I know you hate to lose those precious months not losing anything, but that just might have to happen until you find what works for your body. I am also doing 30 day shred. My total weight loss since January is 8lbs. I guess that's not bad, but I wanted to have more. Some will say it took a long time to get that way, but actually it didn't. I got sick and had to take steroids and I gained about 30 pounds in a few months. I still take them so that may also be a part of my problem. Sorry this is so long and sorry I can't tell you which way to go.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I hear your rant and I totally understand. I finally got so fed up that I went to a bariatric clinic last year. So glad I did! I feel like I have a real grip on food now, which is new for me. I'll try and keep it simple and not too scientific (although i'd be glad to share all the science with you if you'd like). So first things first...

I would estimate about 1400cal/day for fat loss. I'm not sure what MFP gave you for daily nutrition goals, but I calculated your BMR to be 1470. With even a sedentary activity level that jumps up to 1764. So if all you do is normal lazy stuff, like a lot of us out there, your body is still burning 1764 cal. every day.

In order to maintain your muscle mass, you need good, lean protein, and a lot of it. 90g/day is the recommendation, but 1/2g-1g per pound of ideal weight is the general rule.

You've already experienced low carb, so this part should be easy: No more than 75 net carbs per day, no more than 25 net carbs at any meal.

And finally, BREAKFAST!! If you can manage 30g protein, and less than 5 net carbs for breakfast, you shouldn't crave any sugar or other carbs during the day.

good luck to you!!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you're a bit confused .......

I didn't find it difficult to lose weight ........ I lost 40 pounds before ever hearing about MyFitnessPal, TDEE and BMR ....... by cutting back on fast food, baked goods, snacks, soda ........ focusing more on portion control ...... and turning vegetables into my new best friends. I also began to walk a bit each day, but nowadays I go to the gym for cardio, weights, Zumba, and yoga classes.

If you're not sure what to do, just be sure to do SOMETHING healthy each & every day ....... experiment & see what works for you ...... and have fun !

Happy losing :drinker:
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Oh my ! We are the same weight/height & I'm so confused too! . I got a bodybugg 1 yr ago, tried 1000 cals less than what it said I was as burning, lost 0, then ate 500 less, Zero again. Joined eat more to weigh less, they said not eating enough :-) up calories to TDEE. Easy enough, ate the number of calories I burned (per bodybugg) for a 6 week reset, THEN took 20%off that number. NADA. So I ate between 1400-2400 , lost nothing. Gave up drinking, pastries by 90%...have exercised the entire time, . Nothing. Well, I have lowered my cholesterol & been taken off meds.yay! . BUT, I'm wondering if 1200 cals are just as the way to go for some people (not that I've ever tried that for very long- makes me feel like crap & i don't think a person should eat below their BMR), . I feel like you, I don't want to try " trial & error" anymore. I've had a fitbit now for 2 wks. It says I burn about 600 calls less than my bodybugg did so I'll go with that (1900) and try 1500 for a while. I wish you well on this frustrating journey !!!! I know I'm overthinking it, but can't outsmart this body :laugh:
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's a great post for you to read (first post in the thread) - it breaks it down nice and simple and is all you need to know:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I know whatcha mean!! About every week i hear about this new way to lose fat and then go all in researching it and trying to figure out what to do! Its frustrating, for sure. But so far, what i have found works great it this
    1) Lift heavy!! (start with a program like the new rules of lifting ofr women or stronglifts 5x5)
    2) Eat mostly whole foods
    3) eat fairly high in protein
    4) Eat high in fats
    5) try to only get carbs from veggies or natural foods
    6) and EAT MORE!!! I am just changed my cals up to 1,900 and i am just loving how my body looks... look up the group on here called "eat more 2 weigh less"
    7) Enjoy treats or your favorite foods ever once in awhile!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I predict you will soon regret this thread. You will get every-possible-confliciting-advice here.

Stop reading now. Use any calculator you want for a month. Adjust if your results aren't what you had hoped.

Ta Da. The same science experiment we have all had to do.

You got this! Good luck.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I predict you will soon regret this thread. You will get every-possible-confliciting-advice here.
    At least the shakeology/body by vi/advocare/etc. spammers haven't popped their heads in to peddle their junk yet.
  • carolep2407
    Options
    Thanks to those who shared their stories of the same frustrations and to those who gave advice. For the most part everyone was on the same page. I updated my goals after reading some of the links provided. Trial and error it is!!! I guess I'll know if it's right in a few weeks!
  • carolep2407
    Options
    :smile:
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    The thing about eating low carb, aka Atkins is that it isn't maintainable without going completely insane (atleast for me lol).

Some people try to emphasize carbs/fat/protein oriented diets for weight loss but the current scientific consensus is that these things simply do not matter when it comes to weightloss. Nutritionally they do, but if your only focus is to lose weight you really don't need to worry about it too much.
    It also does not matter what time of day you eat. Your body doesn't know what time it is. All that matters is calories in calories out, literally! You are overanalyzing things.
    It is kind of confusing if you take nutrition really seriously and all that but one step at a time :D

If a person eats low carb, then they should be eating very high in fat!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I hear your rant and I totally understand. I finally got so fed up that I went to a bariatric clinic last year. So glad I did! I feel like I have a real grip on food now, which is new for me. I'll try and keep it simple and not too scientific (although i'd be glad to share all the science with you if you'd like). So first things first...

I would estimate about 1400cal/day for fat loss. I'm not sure what MFP gave you for daily nutrition goals, but I calculated your BMR to be 1470. With even a sedentary activity level that jumps up to 1764. So if all you do is normal lazy stuff, like a lot of us out there, your body is still burning 1764 cal. every day.

In order to maintain your muscle mass, you need good, lean protein, and a lot of it. 90g/day is the recommendation, but 1/2g-1g per pound of ideal weight is the general rule.

You've already experienced low carb, so this part should be easy: No more than 75 net carbs per day, no more than 25 net carbs at any meal.

And finally, BREAKFAST!! If you can manage 30g protein, and less than 5 net carbs for breakfast, you shouldn't crave any sugar or other carbs during the day.

good luck to you!!

^^^ this! ^^^ is what has worked for me. But I so agree with the other posters who say do what works for you, listen to your body and adjust. What works for me would drive others nuts, I suspect, and what works for others backfires for me. There is so much conflicting advice because there are so many different ways to success. I think we would all agree that consistency and patience are mandatory though. Best of luck!