what can't you give up?

Options

Replies

• altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Well, I still eat the bad stuff once in a while -- and I have had a lot of cookies this last week. I just try to substitute fro yo for ben and jerry's and only eat kettle cooked at either a party or pms -- and I try to watch portions. I still eat pizza, but I try to portion it out or eat less.

I am just trying to choose differently.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    There is nothing I have altogether given up but the thing I have found hardest to remove from my diet is chocolate. I switched to dark chocolate as a healthy alternative and it's been working for me so far.
    As for other things e.g. pizza, fries, etc. I just eat them in small amounts and not very often.
  • queenbear5
    queenbear5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I won't give up anything. Food tastes great and I plan to enjoy it all while I'm here on this earth.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    before lent I would've said bacon...but been meat free including bacon

BUT I couldn't give up fish !! or.....CHOCOLATE !!!!!
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Red Wine in copious amounts!!!!:drinker:
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Pizza! Honest-to-goodness pizza.

I can't do the healthy substitute thing, at all.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up anything. I just eat some things way less often and/or less of it and I am cognizant of how my choices fit into my overall eating/exercise plan.

I don't give up anything either...smaller portions and fitting things in where I can is what I do.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I don't give up anything, but I don't think I could give up bars (protein bars, granola bars, energy bars), granola/cereal, dried fruit, chocolate, nuts, ice cream, yogurt, winter squash, apples, roasted chickpeas, beans, roasted fava beans....
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Starbuck's. But It's gone from several times per week to once a week or longer. It's a treat now that I plan for and relish, instead of a mindless, automatic stop on the way to work.

I was going to say that I haven't given up anything, but I actually forgot I haven't had a diet soda (or any soda) since the first of the year. And as hard as it was to give up, I can't believe I forgot about it already, LOL, so there is probably nothing that I *can't* give up. Even Starbuck's.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Coffee...light and sweet.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I always thought that the item I couldn't give up was fizzy pop. but I'm really being risky and trying not to drink fizzy pop for the month and see how I feel at the end, if all goes well it could be the end of my addiction to caffeine. Having said that tho' I cannot live without coffee shop drinks e.g. Starbucks Frapacino, Costa Creamy Cooler etc.
  • cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Digestive biscuits with my cups of tea and chocolate, i have them daily but it fits in my diary and have no desire to try give them up!
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sadly? Alcohol. But... dropping it as of today. Just for March to see what changes I can see in my life as a result.
    I didn't think I could ever give it up. I used to drink heavily for 6 days a week (which is how I put so much weight on to begin with). I wondered if I was a permanent alcoholic. But once I started with MFP I slowly stopped drinking when I realized it was standing between me and my goal, not to mention that it triggered eating binges.

So now I don't drink hardly at all, except on Saturday nights with my friends.

Whenever I get a cold though (which is frequently), I find bourbon to be a great cure-all, so I still drink then. :)

Best of luck to you; it can be done. But for me, I had to realize that I wasn't doing myself any favors.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up pasta. Can't find a decent-tasting substitute. :sad:
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    From experience, I can tell you that pop is hard as hell to quit drinking. That said, I weened myself off of the stuff maybe a year ago doing a new years resolution thing. I recommend substituting it for anything other than pop, whether it's good for you or not and just keep doing that until you forget what Dr. Pepper taste like. Drink sugary drinks, juices, vitamin waters, anything else. Once you've gone a month or two it should be easy at that point. From then on try to drink things with less calories such as water (what I drink by far the most of now), green tea, coffee, milk, etc.
  • princessd84
    princessd84 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much given up pasta. Can't find a decent-tasting substitute. :sad:

Why have you given up pasta? Do you have an allergy/intolerance?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Regular Coke is really the ONLY thing I can say I have given up. With diabetes, its just not a good idea.
  • Kurrsteee
    Kurrsteee Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to say chocolate, but I rarely crave it anymore, nor could I sit and eat a full share bar to myself in one sitting anymore. It'd sicken me.
    On the other hand: pizza. I love it.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I don't give anything up.

I just don't eat as much of it.

This.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese