Wisdom Teeth Out! What now?

Options
Hey, Suzy here. I just had 3 (I know, it's odd) wisdom teeth out on Tuesday and today's Saturday. I"m in a lot of pain, not so nauteous or dizzy, but can't open or close jaw all the way. I keep biting my cheeks. But, I've only been eating apples sauce and yogurt because my cheeks are so swollen. Kids are driving me wild. They really want some attention, but After I wash the dishes I have to sit down or I'll get queezy...they've watched a lot of movies this week. I had a pretty major surgical operation for these teeth, that's why the recovery is taking so long. Hopefully soon, I'll be back to normal, taking care of myself and the family.
Got any words of encouragement or a bit of advice for fun for a 3 year old and 1.5 year old while daddy's at work?
Thanks a bunch

Replies

• Itscrunchtime
    Options
    Hey, Suzy here. I just had 3 (I know, it's odd) wisdom teeth out on Tuesday and today's Saturday. I"m in a lot of pain, not so nauteous or dizzy, but can't open or close jaw all the way. I keep biting my cheeks. But, I've only been eating apples sauce and yogurt because my cheeks are so swollen. Kids are driving me wild. They really want some attention, but After I wash the dishes I have to sit down or I'll get queezy...they've watched a lot of movies this week. I had a pretty major surgical operation for these teeth, that's why the recovery is taking so long. Hopefully soon, I'll be back to normal, taking care of myself and the family.
    Got any words of encouragement or a bit of advice for fun for a 3 year old and 1.5 year old while daddy's at work?
    Thanks a bunch
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i had 4 teeth out 3 weeks ago and i'm still not fully recovered. i dont have tips for the kids, but i do have some eating tips: make sure you get protein!! have a protein shake or peanut butter and milk smoothies, something like that. i was wondering why i was still so weak 2 weeks later and it was because of a lack of protein. i would also recommend hunt's butterscotch pudding. yummy. also, when you are albe to eat moderately chewy food, undercooked pizza without the crusts is amazing. i feel you pain, and totally sympathise! i still dont have feeling in my bottom lip or chin, so that's weird, but i'm told the feeling will eventually come back...
  • macdowell7
    Options
    I actually lost 10 pounds when I had my wisdom teeth (all 4) out. Couldn't eat anything but yogurt and babyfood for a week. The protein suggestion makes a lot of sense. Maybe have your kids work on arts and crafts? That way they can sit and be busy - although it may get messy.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Had my wisdom teeth out a long time ago and my mom worked for a dentist and we both work for one now. Best advice is to keep icing your jaw for 20 minutes at least every hour. This will help reduce the swelling and allow for the tissues to start healing better and with less swelling your pain will subside.

Hopefully the doc gave you pain meds, it is helpful to take ibuprophen, if not allergic, it is an anti inflamatory and helps reduce swelling as well. When I had mine out I was a teenager, so no kids to take care of, but I iced every hour for at least 20 minutes and around day 10 I was back to normal.

As far as the kids go, a week of easy going for you and movies and easy activities won't hurt them. Maybe make a fort for them to hide in and keep busy. You should feel better in a few days, if you don't call your doc and make sure there's not an infection brewing.
  • Itscrunchtime
    Options
    these are great reply's..thanks so much. At least I know it's normal. I was questioning wether or not I should do something different...I guess it's just all part of the game.
    Suzy..I'm venturing off to the playground...wish me luck...no, I"m not driving, it's right here where I live.