Asking for your success stories by justcounting calories

Options
shst07
shst07 Posts: 61 Member
Hi!
I was just wondering if people could share their stories of weight loss from just counting calories? How much you lost and if you stuck with the calories mfp recommended or upped your calories to TDEE-20% or so? And it's not that I don't think losing weight by eating low carb, Paleo, or clean doesn't work, it just didn't work for me in the long run. I just don't want to restrict a certain food/food group from my diet anymore.
Thank you!

Replies

• SalonBoi
    SalonBoi Posts: 60
    Options
    Hey my name is Jaysen nice to meet ya :-) I just upped to my tdee-%20 and I'm nervous as all get out.. But it makes total sense with keeping your body nourished.. I look forward to the pounds melting away.. Good luck on your journey.
  • shst07
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Yes, I am nervous too, but it does make sense to not starve yourself. Good luck on you journey as well.
  • laurainparis
    laurainparis Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I I lost 18 lbs and have kept it off for several months by just counting calories. I am 5' 7", 140 lbs, and lost the weight at 1200 cal/day and have kept it off at 1600/day. I try to walk and take the stairs, but I don't do any exercise regime. I have another friend who lost 35 lbs on MFP just counting calories.
  • LadyYamura
    LadyYamura Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, my husband and I have started counting calories and using this site everyday since Feb. 4th of this year. He has lost 16lbs by just counting calories and I have lost 13lbs(haven't weighed in a week) since I started counting calories. It does work and I limit nothing as far as foods. I still have chocolate and all of the other things you can't have on certain diets. It works. Good luck on your journey. Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • johnnyboytaylor
    Options
    Hi
    I've been using MFP for 8 weeks tomorrow just counting calories sticking to the total they gave me to lose 2lbs a week and I've now lost 28lbs and my fiancé has been doing it about the same time and lost over 20lbs and neither of us have been doing any extra exercise.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Hi! My base is 1250 calories and I eat back half of what I exercise. I have lost 24 pounds! I do not restrict any food from my diet and don't freak out if I go over a few calories , however, I do keep my sodium lower. Keep it simple!
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    17lb since the 5th of jan using MFPs settings and skipping no food groups.

(Well except most veggies cos I hate veggies)
  • ChloeNewton1991
    Options
    I'm at 11 pounds lost since January 30th. I find that my weight goes up and down... so i know i'll eventually have to do something different... but for now it works! :)
  • SparklyPinkMom
    SparklyPinkMom Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out....5 weeks in, 1500 calories per day and not watching my macros and no exercise. I've lost almost 12 lbs now. I do plan on adding exercise soon.
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • angellepen
    Options
    I started counting my calories in 2011 -2012 and lost about 50 lbs. I maintained my weight. Recently since joining MFP in JAN 2013 I started to count my calories again and lost 7lbs in one month. For me it really did make a difference counting my calories as of now I don't do any exercising except brisk walking when I go to the park with my child. I eat what I want except meat and dairy I am currently a strict vegetarian. But I love sweets!! As long as it's in my calorie goal. I currently consume 1200 calories a day but certain days I go over it but no more then 1600 calories.
  • BridgeKiki
    Options
    I hate veggies also, but I love them in my smoothie.
    Try some in a smoothie. I have the vita-mix and I use it every day. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • heidihorton
    heidihorton Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot of fruits and veggies , lean meat and potatoe chips lol! I do not do low carb or any other set parameters, i eat smaller portions of the stuff i wantand fill in the " still hungary" part of my meals with fruits veggies and lots of spices. I follow mfp calories only I do work in a job where I walk a lot but not constantly. Other than that. No daily exercise routine. At this point I will start adding fitness but now I feel like I can do it and not break something, also the weight loss has given me a lot more energy. You can lose weight without exercising but eventually you will want to exercise to use the extra energy you have :). Good luck!
  • shst07
    Options
    Wow! You are all so inspiring! Thank you for sharing your successes!

I do exercise (mainly walking and some dumbbell weight lifting), so my question regarding 'just counting calories' pertained more to losing weight JUST counting calories rather than following a low carb, paleo, clean, WW, etc diet. Basically, I'm wondering if you are eating within your calorie parameters and not depriving yourself of foods you want. I'm glad to see that you aren't! That gives me hope that there will be success for the long term. Thanks again for sharing everyone!
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but purely counting calories has worked for me! I have MFP set to lose 1 lb per week. The first 15 lbs I lost were entirely calorie counting, but now that I have been working out I have actually plateaued a bit (makes me hungrier while my body gets used to it, so I go over on calories often). I do not believe in eliminating anything from my diet entirely, as I know it will not be sustainable for me. I have the discipline to limit my indulgences to occasional ones that fit into my calories or I take the occasional cheat day. Others might not do as well limiting and need to eliminate. Just depends on the individual!
  • Thinknight
    Thinknight Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I started on the 4th of January and so far ive lost 19lbs. I sit at a desk all day and hate exercise! So...when I know there is a big meal coming - a celebration of a birthday or anniversary or something - I go for a long walk or hit a treadmill for an hour and just eat away.
    Most of the time I just keep within the calories, I work 10 hour days and well dont have the time or energy to get home from work and go for a run! Im using MFP as a calory counter because I know my nature, and my nature is not exercise, if you are thinking like me (which I think you are) there is no point in becoming a gym bunny losing all the weight and then stopping when you hit it. I know it will all pour back on!

Friend me if you like, im glad there are more like me out here! :bigsmile:
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Not sure, if its a success story yet but, I have lost 29 pounds in two months just by counting calories. I still have many pounds to go, but I eat whatever I want within my 1200 a day range.
  • krenelynch
    krenelynch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'0 (started at 126 and now at 115). Losing any weight has gotten harder with age! I only count calories and I eat back all my exercise calories earned because I don't want to give up anything! Especially beer...so that pushes me to work out. I have switched to a protein shake for breakfast because I'm learning to appreciate muscle and I used to skip breakfast. This has been the most gratifying success because I can see the changes in my body without feeling deprived.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I went from 70kg (154lb) to 66kg (146lb) JUST counting calories and I ended up skinny fat (I'd lost weight before this - about 20kg or 44lb - but that was exercising and not counting calories). Now in the last 3 months I've gone from 66kg (146lb) to 57kg (126lb) by doing both counting calories and exercising, and my body looks amazing!

You can lose successfully without exercise, but I personally think (assuming you are physically capable of exercising) that you're cheating yourself of a much better and healthier body
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!