What is the problem with my digital scale

Options
Just bought brand new digital scale. I weigh myself and step on the scale twice. The first time I weigh myself it is one number and the second time it is different. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a scale that is accurate? What do you use and how often do you weigh in?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had a scale like that. You could weigh 5 times in a row and get 5 different rates - and they'd be as drastic as a 10lb difference. I had to get a new scale.

Other thoughts - check the battery. Don't move the scale - always keep it in one spot and don't move it before weighing. Make sure it's on a flat surface, no carpet.

I have a Weight Watchers brand scale. I weigh in every Friday morning. (okay I actually weigh myself during the week - but only Friday counts and gets logged - even if it is a gain.)
  • billiegirl17
    billiegirl17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I used to have a scale like that and found it very frustrating. And the batteries died rather quickly.
    But I am fortunate because I work in a hospital and have access to very accurate scales, so I just weigh
    myself there now.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I also have a weight watchers scale and I've never had a problem.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Just bought brand new digital scale. I weigh myself and step on the scale twice. The first time I weigh myself it is one number and the second time it is different. Does anyone have a good suggestion for a scale that is accurate? What do you use and how often do you weigh in?

How different? A number of variables can cause small changes in the weight you see. But if you're seeing large fluctuations something is wrong.

What kind of floor are you on?
  • clubbybear
    clubbybear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just weighed twice and got the same weight. This was on a TANITA brand scale. I use the WII Fit balance board to weigh in on a weekly basis.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    EatSmart Scale is extremely affordable and blindingly accurate. Just check the Amazon reviews. Very well known for this.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Is it on carpet or an unstable flooring? Do you move it much? I put mine on a flat surface and then don't move. I also step on and look at the same place on the wall. Give it a sec to record and then I look down. Just moving my head will change the weight on mine.
  • LeahKRayas
    LeahKRayas Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    EatSmart Scale is extremely affordable and blindingly accurate. Just check the Amazon reviews. Very well known for this.
    I hope so! I just bought one @ amazon for $28. I was going to buy a different scale that was recommended by consumer reports but when I went to the site to buy it I read alot of negative comments from people who bought it. After looking around online I saw only good things about the EatSmart scale. It is supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope it's as good as everyone says!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Pick one spot and stick to it. It's crazy how much the scale differes on carpet and tile ...
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My last scale was that way. It would always give me a different weight, depending on where I placed my feet. On, off, on, off, on, off ... different weights. And that one weighed in full pounds.

Now, I have an EatSmart Precision Plus Digital bathroom scale. It weighs in .2 (2/10th) of an increment and gives the same weight each time I step on, off and on again. I love this scale!

Check out the reviews on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Eatsmart-Precision-Bathroom-Technology-440-Pounds/dp/B0032TNPOE
  • desertcrafty
    desertcrafty Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mine is exactly the same. I can step on it five different times and get five different numbers. Going to check out the ones recommended here!
  • dietonthego
    dietonthego Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your feedback.