Stevia: My Experience

Options
Let me start this off by saying the Stevia website warns you of this side effect so this isn't breaking news.

A little about me and my condition.
I'm a type II diabetic which means I suffered from high blood sugar. I never had any side effects from it or anything. Just something the doctor saw in my blood and medicated me for it.

So I had previously been using Splenda as my sweetener of choice with no problems. I read some things here about Stevia which I hadn't heard of previously so I decided I'd give it a shot. I really don't use any form of sugar or sweetener often except for my pre-lunch tea and after lunch tea break. So about an hour after drinking the Stevia sweetened tea, my hands felt a little shaky. I really didn't know what was going on at first but then I recalled this was a symptoms that diabetics with LOW blood sugar have. So I grabbed my trusty blood glucose meter and I was right, my blood sugar was low! 74 mg/dl when it should be 110ish. Back when it used to read high it would be up to 320 something (just so you can get an idea of how i can move around.) So even though this isn't the type of diabetic I was diagnosed as being, I knew that I needed to get something sweet into my system and I got some candy from a co-worker.

Lately my blood sugar has been normal since starting MFP and eating right and taking my medicine. It just seems like the Stevia takes it from being normal to being at an unsafe low level.

The box says its suitable for people with diabetes, but in my case it apparently isn't.

I'd love to be able to use a natural no calorie sweetener like Stevia but it seems as if that creature doesn't exist for me.

Well that's all, Just wanted to share that with everyone.

Replies

• lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Interesting!

I don't know anything about stevia... not sure we have it in Aust or the UK so I can't comment on whether it would be likely to cause low blood sugar or not.

Sometimes though, people can get low blood sugar without even being diabetic. The reason diabetics are more prone is because of their medication but if you aren't on the kinds of medications that cause hypos (and one would think your Drs etc would have clued you in on this so I'm guessing you aren't) then it might just be an unusual response within your body :)

Definitely worthy of some more research though and I could totally understand why you wouldn't want to keep using it.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Oooh so I've been doing some reading and apparently the European Union doesn't allow it because they feel that it's not safe :S More interestingly (because I was thinking that it might be because they just don't have enough evidence supporting it's safety) they suggest it's because it is document to be somewhat unsafe. Hmm well, I guess since it's not an option for me (or my patients) I don't have to worry about it either way hehe
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    Well, I only used one pack. My blood sugar was at 110 after lunch today (sushi) and after the tea (one packet of stevia) it took me down to 90 in about an hour. Kind of dumb for me to keep trying to use it but I was just curious about when I'd be able to. apparently 110 isn't a good time for me to use stevia. Imagine if I'd used multiple packs of this stuff in something else, like cereal or something....

With that said, if you are having a high blood sugar day, inject some stevia into your system!!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just don't use enough sugar or artifical sugar to worry about it. I use artifical for cereal and that is about it. Not sure when you go back to doctor but now that your are eating right, you should see if you can come off the meds since you are so young and I am sure whatever you are taking has side effects.

I will take meds if absolutely necessary but if there is something within my power to correct I see what is needed to come off the meds. Especially now that they give you this whole list when you pick up your prescriptions.
  • deanamcmillan
    Options
    My Dr. recommends Stevia and/or Xylitol (both natural sweeteners). I've been using Stevia for some time now and I've never experienced such a drop in blood sugar. Maybe Xylitol is another option for you. I haven't used it so I can't speak to any side effects, but I thought I would share. Best of luck!
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    My Dr. recommends Stevia and/or Xylitol (both natural sweeteners). I've been using Stevia for some time now and I've never experienced such a drop in blood sugar. Maybe Xylitol is another option for you. I haven't used it so I can't speak to any side effects, but I thought I would share. Best of luck!

I've read that its hit or miss as far as this type of drop in people. I guess i got hit lol.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, but find this interesting to say the least. Wow.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Have you ever tried Truvia?
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've used stevia for a long time and never had an issue, but each body is different.

Are you using powdered stevia? Check the ingredients as some stevia packets have fillers or other additives from various sources (one I was looking at was a corn-based additive; I have a corn allergy so I was reacting when I was using it). Perhaps something like this is your case as well? The liquid stevia (in my opinion) is nasty!. In general, stevia is safer than splenda, truvia and all those other artificial sugars. (for most people, again, each body is different).
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    I use the "Sweet Leaf" brand liquid and I like it MUCH better than the powdered packets from walmart that I tried. I use it in my oatmeal along with a bunch of cinnamon and I like it. But I've never tested my blood afterwards. I also put it in hot tea occasionally. I've tried to cut out sugar as much as possible.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Stay away from Truvia and there is another type of "stevia" which neither one of them are pure stevia, they are processed versions.

Sweet Leaf Stevia is the best to go.

I am a former diabetic - I am not considered to be insulin resistant again and working on reversing the insulin resistance.........

I have never had any problems, but I only use the sweet leaf brand.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I just read up on Truvia... geez... lots of praise when it first came out. I didn't realize it was the FDA's version of Stevia... with additives. Ack! I rarely use sugar or sweetner & when I do, my preference is raw/pure honey.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I just read up on Truvia... geez... lots of praise when it first came out. I didn't realize it was the FDA's version of Stevia... with additives. Ack! I rarely use sugar or sweetner & when I do, my preference is raw/pure honey.

Raw Honey is fantastic. We get it from a local farm near us. In it purist and most natural form.