Drinking my excercise points

Options
Hi, just wanted to know if it makes a difference whether I "eat" my extra excercise points or "drink" them. I tend to have drinks on the weekend and wanted to know if it was fine to save up points for that, or because it's alcohol maybe it doesn't work the same way. I thought as long as I keep within my calorie total I should still lose weight? Just wondering.

Replies

• LoraleiDean
    LoraleiDean Posts: 100
    Options
    Yes, so long as you stay within your weekly calorie total, you should still lose weight.
    The only thing is, you will be losing out on the potential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that would be gained from consuming something a little more healthy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to know if it makes a difference whether I "eat" my extra excercise points or "drink" them. I tend to have drinks on the weekend and wanted to know if it was fine to save up points for that, or because it's alcohol maybe it doesn't work the same way. I thought as long as I keep within my calorie total I should still lose weight? Just wondering.

I post this as I am drinking a beer.

Just make sure you get enough real calories. Hit your protein goals, make sure you're getting veggies and whatnot for micronutrients. Don't over do it - getting drunk every weekend is not going to help you reach your goals. But some alcohol here and there doesn't hurt.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love my wine! But majority of my calories come from nutritious food.

Alcohol on occasion is OK, but from personal experience, when I have it too often my weight loss stalls, even if I net the correct amount of calories per day/week.

The problem with alcohol is, your body has to metabolize it before it has a chance to metabolize your food, and this process can impair absorption of nutrients from the food you have eaten while drinking. It also messes with your body's ability to maintain healthy levels of glucose.

All in all, it screws with your metabolism, and slows down your attempts at weight loss.

I am trying to limit to few glasses of wine on the weekend only as of now, to practice what I preach :drinker:
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You could if you wanted provided you are giving your body enough nutrients and calories to function normally. You need to ensure you are properly fueling your body and consuming enough of each of your macros.

If you do this, make sure you dont' consume all those calories right before your weight in day. Alcohol and anything processed will cause a gain on the scale due to water retention.