My poor shins...

Options
I started the C25K today. The first half wasn't so bad, but by the second half of it, running KILLED my poor shins. I don't know if this is due to me running so flat footed/heavy or what really. :(

So my question is, is there anyway to help with my shins/ankles from being so painful? Or do I just have to suck it up and push through the pain until I hopefully get used to it?

Right now I feel like an elephant stampeding during my run intervals....lol

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I started something similar couple weeks ago.. first thing I did was buy new shoes, second was take it slow. I am doing the zombie 5k app and make sure I take a day or 2 days off between..this has really helped my shins.. I noticed yesterday I had no shin pain. I think once we get used to it...it will hurt less.
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I started something similar couple weeks ago.. first thing I did was buy new shoes, second was take it slow. I am doing the zombie 5k app and make sure I take a day or 2 days off between..this has really helped my shins.. I noticed yesterday I had no shin pain. I think once we get used to it...it will hurt less.

I recently got some nice running shoes. I guess I will just have to take it slow. My "run" right now is more like a slow, lumbering jog. lol

I really need to look into that zombie app. It sucks though because my phone doesn't have service anymore. I can use and download apps, I just lose the advantage of the GPS abilities if I am not connected to WiFi. :(
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    1. You need to ease into it or you are going to be a ball of pain.
    2. Usually after shin injury, but maybe preventative: use a towel, exercise band, medical rubber band, over your foot and spell the alphabet.
    3. Ibuprofen.

Nice running shoes are great if they are properly fitted for you. Otherwise the most expensive fanciest shoes are worth nothing.
  • justmeonamission
    Options
    I have tried to do c25k twice now and each time as soon as I reached the second week I would get an agonising pain in my shins,
    Which after further research (google) it turned outs had shin splints, it sounds like you might have the same thing. It's a beginners injury caused by doing to much to soon, putting too much weight on one side of your foot and can also be cause just from being overweight and the muscles around your shins not being strong enough to support your weight. i think for me it was a little bit of all these reasons! so now I'm planning to lose another stone before trying again, but while I'm waiting I'm jogging once or twice a week, just making sure to not overdo it again. I've been doing heel/toe raises too as I read they strengthen the supporting calf muscles and help prevent shin splints. Hope this helps :)
  • Master_Dragon
    Master_Dragon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some shin pain can be caused by weakness or tightening of the calf muscles. I used to get really bad shin splits last year. To help combat this, you need to stretch your calves well before and after a run. To do this, go up to a wall and bring your toe up onto the wall and press into it. Hold this for 10-15 seconds per foot, and I'd recommend doing 2-3 reps per foot. Something you can do during the day when you're just sitting around to strengthen your calves it write out the ABCs with each foot. It's simple to do, not super obvious to those around you, yet quite effective.
    This won't have immediate results, but it should help in the long run. It's pretty much the only stretch I use (I have a post up now about what other stretches I should be doing :P)
    Happy exercising!
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have shin splints too. It helps if I don't do high impact aerobics (running certainly qualifies as high impact so I race walk) and when I am not working out I wear a shoe with a gentle heel. Dorsiflexion (lifting your toes up toward your shin- like the motion required to keep my favorite shoes -flip flops- on) aggravates my shins even worse. I am going to try kinesiotaping them. That zombie app is hysterical. Love the idea!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If It hurts, walk. If it hurts to walk, stop. Rest. Warm up, cool down.

Do not try and run through them. Trust me on this.
  • bagsrpacked
    Options
    If It hurts, walk. If it hurts to walk, stop. Rest. Warm up, cool down.

Do not try and run through them. Trust me on this.

Amen - they get worse and you will have difficulty doing ANYTHING! One thing that i found helps me is to put the treadmill on a slight incline. If running/walking outdoors, make sure you're on a consistent surface and that you are both warming up (first) with a slow walk for a few minutes and then stretching well prior to starting your run - those things (and good shoes) have helped me immensley and I no longer have the issue.
  • Bubsys_mom
    Bubsys_mom Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yeah I figured it was shin splints. I had them before when I was on the high school soccer team before my knee gave out on me. I had to wrap my shins up before practice and games.

Even though I couldn't run the entire time this morning, I made sure I walked the entire time and never stopped. I did a bit of research on the shin splints earlier and found out flat footed people tend to suffer this. Which I am pretty flat footed. :/ I am going to try to find some arch supports this coming week and see if that helps. I may just have to do brisk walks until my shins get a bit better.
  • Terriann7
    Terriann7 Posts: 78
    Options
    Some shin pain can be caused by weakness or tightening of the calf muscles. I used to get really bad shin splits last year. To help combat this, you need to stretch your calves well before and after a run. To do this, go up to a wall and bring your toe up onto the wall and press into it. Hold this for 10-15 seconds per foot, and I'd recommend doing 2-3 reps per foot. Something you can do during the day when you're just sitting around to strengthen your calves it write out the ABCs with each foot. It's simple to do, not super obvious to those around you, yet quite effective.
    This won't have immediate results, but it should help in the long run. It's pretty much the only stretch I use (I have a post up now about what other stretches I should be doing :P)
    Happy exercising!

What a great idea to do the ABC's with feet! I did immediately. I am in week 4 of the C25K and my lower legs burn so bad I can hardly stand it. I am not sure if it is shin splints but damn it hurts. I am stretching a lot more after a 5 minute warm up and then do the run. I have my first 5 K in 3 weeks and I am afraid I will not be ready...but I am going to do it right and persevere. I appreciate this thread and the tips too!