Pilates reformer workouts

Options
Due to an injury my dr has been reluctant to clear me for boxing or roller skating, which were exercises of choice. I can't cycle (tailbone injury) and while I can run, I have a bad knee which means I can't run consistently without rest breaks.

It's been suggested to me that I take pilates reformer classes for weight loss and fitness, and my dr seems to be supportive. Anyone have any experience who can give me the low down on how well reformers work to get you fit?

Replies

• NataliaCT
    Options
    Hi there! I've been working as a pilates trainer for over 4 years. I think pilates will help you to recover from injury as well as to strengthen muscles around your knee to support the joint.
    Pilates reformer is a great apparatus and you can work the entire body by using this machine. Most of exercises performed in prone positions which will take pressure off of that knee. Also, it'll help you to improve your flexibility, develop core strength and overall muscle strength. There are many more benefits of pilates and you can read about them here: http://nataliacoretraining.com/my-favorite-core-exercises/
  • LindsayHein
    LindsayHein Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do reformer pilates one to two days a week. This is my favorite day of the week. :) It is an awesome low impact exercise. The key is to find a great instructor that will mix up routines, otherwise it can be bland.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE pilates reformer fan, I think it is the single most body shaping excersise i have ever done. Additionally it works on your fleixblity, builds strong posture and is great for those with injuries - there is a reason they use it in phsycial therapy and rehabilitation.

however if you think you are goign to lose weight from it i would say no. Its definately a toning type excersise with no cardio involved. Also, the classes tend to be edxpensive.

For someone with an injury i woudl say combine it with swimming if you cant do any other cardio.

GO FOR IT _ its great!