Having difficulty losing weight :(

Options
I posted on here yesterday and I just can't stop thinking about how difficult it's been to lose weight lately! I've lost 17 lbs but it's taken about a year to do so. One week I'll lose the next I'll gain and the next I'll stay the same. Before Christmas, I did a lower carb high protein diet and I lost weight consistently for 3 weeks. After Christmas I was up 4 lbs and I still am! When I initially lost the weight I didn't work out. I just watched what I ate and I was doing weight watchers. Since my weight loss completely stalled in the past month, I decided to get back into a workout routine. My first week back in the gym I gained 1.3 pounds and my second week back in the gym I maintained my weight. I'm really trying to stick with a gym routine. I get up everyday at 4:45 am to workout before work ( I am a teacher). I work out for about 45-50 minutes. I do cardio and strength training and some circuit training. 6 days of the week I stay at a 1400 calorie diet and on Saturdays I'll have a "cheat" meal...I really don't fully cheat but I might have a cheeseburger from McDonalds and then I resume my normal diet. I honestly don't beleive having a cheat meal once a week should hinder me from my weight loss. It gives me motivation during the week and makes me feel less deprived of the goodies I like. My weight issues are really making me depressed because I'm young and I feel like something is wrong with me because I feel like when most people work out and eat healthy, they lose weight. Then I start to think that maybe 1400 calories is too much and that I should go down to 1200. I have seriously tried everything and I'm really trying to give the gym a chance ( it's only been two weeks and I didn't think I'd lose 5 lbs or anything the first couple weeks back in the gym but I hoped for at least a pound loss). I really want to keep up with working out because I know it's healthy, but it's really difficult to stay motivated. Has this ever happened to someone before? I'm a healthy 26 year old and I feel like my body is broken and I'm trying everything I can to get these last twenty pounds off. I know starving yourself is not the write answer so I try to do it the right way. It has been really getting me really down lately that I can't lose weight. I haven't lost any weight in almost two months. I'm just really sad :(

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I keep reading that when you start exercising regularly you hold onto water weight so give it some time. Just think about how you're making your body healthier, with or without the weight loss.

How tall are you? How much weight do you want to lose? You may be viewing it unrealistically or you may be just 5-15 pounds away from goal and it's going to come off more like .5 pound a week.

Please don't just choose 1200 calories and then it be way too low. Calculate your bmr and tdee and eat between those numbers!
  • whitnm76
    whitnm76 Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I looked at the TDEE and got my daily calorie rate and then I subtracted 20% from that, and it said like 1750 calories. I honestly think I will gain weight if I eat that much. Plus eating 1400 calories a day I cannot imagine eating that many. It just sounds like way too much.
  • clemson20
    clemson20 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have been struggling with going back down to my goal weight. My goal weight is 135 pounds and I seem to manage around 138 pounds. I am 5'6. I have been doing 1200 calories to bring my weight back down. How many calories am I looking at for breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus snacks. My weight went back up to 140 pounds due to switching my calorie intake to 1400 calories. How many calories would I need to eat at each meal and for snacks? My nutritionist told me it would be 1400 to maintain at 138. My doctor told me it would be 1800 calories to maintain and I had to start cutting back. How do you figure out your TDEE?
  • hanson78
    hanson78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i agree maybe you are not eating enough calories. When i did WW i could not believe the amount of food i could eat. A friend of mine was doing it with me and was not eating all her points and she was not losing.. when she upped her intake she started losing. Doesn't seem right but it is what triggers your metabolism.
    i have a very hard time losing weight also so i am no pro, but sometimes this is why.