When your muscles hurt, do you just continue anyways?

Options
My thighs hurt like crazy today from doing 30 day shred last night. Question now is do I push through this horrible pain and do level 1 day number 2?? it hurts to stand, set, walk, up or down stairs or just about anything that has to do with using my legs :/ I hate to try to rest and hurt even more tomorrow but I hate to try to do the work out and hurt even worse. What do ya'll suggest?

Replies

• Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Great question! I also did the 30ds yesterday for the first time. On top of that I over did it on the cardio. Now my calf is totally rock hard and sore...I decided to wait till tomorrow to continue with the 30ds...No clue if that is a good idea or if I am just being weak.
  • n_rockey
    n_rockey Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I started the 30ds on Friday. My thighs, shoulders, and abs are killing me. However from everything I've read the idea is that you should push through the pain to see the maximum results. That assumes that you didn't do something to cause an actual injury, and your pain is just due to muscle soreness.
  • Heitor71
    Heitor71 Posts: 224
    Options
    If it is too painful then you should rest. There is no need to get an injury really.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I just pay close attention to my body. If it's muscle burn, I will power through it. If it is causing me to favor any part of my body, risking injury, I will lay off or find a modifier.
  • nerdehgirl
    nerdehgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Might have pushed yourself too hard, too soon. If you wake up tomorrow and you're hurting, listen to your body and take a days rest. And don't feel guilty about it.
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    As long as it is just soreness and not an injury, the BEST way 2 ease it is to work through it. Believe it or not, u will be MORE sore the rest of the day & tomorrow if u skip it than if u work through it. Great job! Remember, pain is weakness, leaving the body!
  • Mulikme
    Mulikme Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've been working with a trainer twice a week for the past month. Aleve and epsom salt baths help. You may need to take a day with less intensity. Try stretching, walking, yoga, etc. but keep moving.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    As long as it is just soreness and not an injury, the BEST way 2 ease it is to work through it. Believe it or not, u will be MORE sore the rest of the day & tomorrow if u skip it than if u work through it. Great job! Remember, pain is weakness, leaving the body!

Agree!! (and spoken like a true Jillian fitness bully!!!)
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    keep going. I hurt like hell for the first 5 days of insanity, then on day 6, no more pain just like that. as others have said so long as its not an injury just keep going
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    Haha, thanks! I sooooo love Jillian! :)
  • xx_heather_xx
    xx_heather_xx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am on day 4 of 30 day shred and it is rough! I was so sore after day 1 and worse after day 2 but I can honestly say it's better today than it has been. I am still sore but not like the 1st 2 days when I would moan every time I sat on the toilet. Also I can feel myself getting stronger, I am already doing more push ups and able to keep up with the cardio. I do curse Jillian a few times while I do the workout but it makes me feel a little better! Good luck! If it is just your muscles crying because they have not been used in years then power through!!!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Yes as long as it's no an injury I work through it. In fact, once I warm up they always feel a ton better.
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just completed level one and I was horribly sore for the first 4 days. I actually felt the best after my workout. I guess because my muscles were all loosened up. Around day five the soreness subsided and now I am hardly sore. I start level 2 tomorrow though so we will see how long that lasts. Just push through and do what you can.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks! I sooooo love Jillian! :)
    Lol! Me too! I don't think I would have reached my goals (or even started!) without her videotapes. Because of those tapes, I am smaller than I was in 1994!!!

And man, after day 1 of the 30DS, sitting was my biggest problem!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You sound just like me after my first day of 30DS! I ended up taking the next three days off because it hurt so much to walk, sit, go up even one step - it was torture! I had told my husband that if the house caught fire, he'd have to haul me out, because there was no way I could get up and run out on my own. :tongue:

Take as many days as you need to to at least be moving without grunting - those muscles need rest, and your next session will be much better. Hang in there!
  • sonhando
    sonhando Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That happened to me the first time I did 30ds too. Listen to your body. A little soreness is ok... But not too much
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Are you sore or are you injured?

If you're sore, go work out.

If you're injured, stop. And trust me, you'll know the difference.
  • Tisha1276
    Tisha1276 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three. Day one killed me. I didn't know if I was going to get through day two with every muscle sore...but it was actually easier than day one. I just pushed right through it.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The first time I did 30DS I tried to do it again the day after. I barely made it through circuit 1 and called it quits. It was painful.

I think if you're just getting into it and it really, really hurts, do another easier sort of exercise on the day after, then get back into 30DS the day after that. Then once it doesn't hurt so much, see if you want to do it every day or keep it every other day.
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You need to differentiate between your muscles being sore, and actual injury pain. Do you feel sharp, biting pain in a certain area? Then be careful. If you are just sore, take some ibuprofen, stretch, and do your workout.