Does anyone do pilates?

Options
I've been reading that there's many benefits to pilates, and that it's excellent for toning although it wouldn't burn many calories. Is anyone a pilates enthusiast - would you recommend taking it up?

Replies

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I really like pilates for flexibility. I find it to be a nice cooldown after a more strenuous workout. I try to do pilates on my off days from weight lifting. It's also pretty good for core strength. Lots of planks!
  • islandbeez
    islandbeez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well, I would not call myself an expert at Pilates since I have only ever done the one DVD that I have, but still I really enjoy it. It is not much of a calorie burner like you said, but the stretching feels amazing and if I haven't done it in a while it definitely will make me sore for a few days. It's a good workout for me on the days where I just don't feel like I have it in me to pop in the 30 Day Shred and let Jillian kick my butt :tongue:
  • pipistrellus
    Options
    I have been doing Pilates once a week for the last year and it has changed my life! It stops my back from seizing up after being stuck behind a desk all day when previously, I was spending hundreds of £s on osteopathic treatment.
    It's also improved my core strength and balance. I'd recommend it to anyone, provided that you have a good instructor to advise you on correct form... My experience of instructors has been quite variable.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Interesting post as I just popped in my Pilates DVD this morning and did 20 minutes as I am just getting back into the swing of things and want to do something every day. I really enjoyed it. I can't testify as to whether or not it tones as I've just started but it feels good. I did abs and flexibility. Give it a try!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend it to anyone, provided that you have a good instructor to advise you on correct form... My experience of instructors has been quite variable.

Ditto on this. If you are new to pilates and just pop in a DVD, you may be doing it wrong which is just wasting your time since you aren't getting the true benefit. Once you get the technique down, then I'd advise going off on your own but it definitely pays to have instruction in the beginning. The moves are small but very purposeful. It may look like I am hardly moving but my core is engaged and I can feel my muscles getting shaky. For those that think pilates is just stretching, then you are likely doing it wrong. Taking a beginners class and learning the fundamentals is well worth the money!

I have been doing pilates regularly for almost 2 years and it transformed my body. I lost an entire pants size, gained muscle in my legs and arms, and have much better posture, all from doing pilates regularly 2x a week. I love it!
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The intensity of your pilates workout can really vary.
    I've done videos, taken 3 month classes at city gym, goodlife and yoga studios.
    Some classes are more yoga-ish and some get me sweaty towards the end.
    Ask the instructor what the intensity level is and make sure it matches what you are looking for.
    Pilates are great though, try a drop in class before you committ if you are worried.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I love pilates and Yoga. It doesn't burn many calories but it's worth it. It's a good stretch for your muscles... and I find it really helps my legs and core.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love pilates and Yoga. It doesn't burn many calories but it's worth it. It's a good stretch for your muscles... and I find it really helps my legs and core.
    I find there is nothing better for core work (provided you have a good instructor). Miss my old Pilates class. Was a great work out. Need to work it back into my schedule!
  • Ella543
    Options
    Thanks for your helpful replies. I've just bought a book with pilates exercises in, and have a dvd which I haven't seen yet. I may try some basic exercises and then look for a class.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I do both Yoga and Pilates. As everyone said it's a great core workout. I'm surprised that there aren't many guys in either of my classes. Core strength and flexibility is a great foundation for whatever your fitness goals are.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    There's a 22 minute Video on YouTube called "Beach Body Pilates" I really like, it's pretty core heavy, and it's easy yet challenging. Not too much leg work in it, but it's good.... Check it out.
  • NataliaCT
    Options
    I would recommend you to take at least 5 - 7 private sessions of pilates prior to working out on your own. It 's extremely important to learn the technique and the principles of breathing in order to have a safe and beneficial work out. If you start off by doing DVD class right away, you may end up doing it not in a proper way and injuring yourself.
    If you are curious to learn more about pilates, check out this link http://nataliacoretraining.com/pilates-low-back-pain-treatment/