Good stretches for lower back?

Options
I have really bad lower back pains. I attribute some to my hamstrings being tight. Some to being flat footed and holding my weight all in my heels...but I really need some lower back stretches!

One that I do that helps a good bit is laying on my back, crossing an ankle over the other knee and pulling that other knee towards my body. Really helps a good bit. But surely there is more?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Look up some yoga routines.

Things like cat, cow, camel, downward facing dog - pretty much the whole sun salutation will have an effect within a few practices. But don't be scared to use the gentler versions - I don't do full cobra, for example.
  • danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    I don't really have any stretches to offer, I do some, but have no idea what they would be called, and would take far to long to describe them. But Don't just stretch the lower back, stretch your upper back and neck as well. It is one system and if one part is outta whack it can pull the others out with it. So do your lower back stretches, but also try to toss in a couple upper back stretches.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    There is a "machine" if you belong to a gym you can do, but if I can paste some url images maybe it'll be easier to see:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyt8Gk6Onn7cMGMZw0qtBOqYOelVL9xxe85n_UhyWjP4IPezeY

http://www.jamesbickleyrunning.co.uk/Websites/jamesbickley/PhotoGallery/1034932/Lower-Back-Stretch-2.jpg?0

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/images/golf_stretching_lowback.gif

We do these 3 after kickboxing and a host of others and its been keeping my mobility and flexibility up. I have bad knees and a bad back, but especially after doing no dynamic stretching movements and just lifting I noticed my arms weren't hanging straight down like most people. They had too much of a bend.
  • BullletproofPaleoman
    BullletproofPaleoman Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The exercise you're doing is pretty much my fave. Lately though I've become a big fan of foam rolling. There are some good videos on YouTube.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Yoga - because yoga will stretch your back while building strength in the same muscles you are stretching and so avoid overstretching muscles.

Yoga.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    flexibility-stretches.gif

I prefer the top left stretch.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Sit on a lacrosse ball. Chances are your lower back and hamstrings are tight because your glutes are tight.
  • dstromley1
    dstromley1 Posts: 165
    Options
    get a foam roller. not a soft one either get the high density foam. you can roll ur back and hips and hamstrings, Works wonders for my back after deadlift sessions.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump for me to look at later !
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    foam roller or

lay on your stomach, spread your arms, bend your leg and put it over to the side so that its on the opposite side of your body but not on the ground. Do the same on the other side. You should feel it in your lower back, hamstrings, and glutes
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Go to yogajournal.com and under poses go to Anatomical Focus and click on Lower Back, Hamstrings, and anything else you want to stretch. Also go to Therapeutic poses and click on Back Pain and Flat Feet. You'll find tons of great stretches there.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely check into when they offer yoga at my gym and also a foam roller :)
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Def foam roaller. I have sciatica so i have to watch out for that too. Pilates moves help too cause it builds strenght around the areas that may need support as well as stretching. Just be gentle in all the stretches you do. don't go too far.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    Def foam roaller. I have sciatica so i have to watch out for that too. Pilates moves help too cause it builds strenght around the areas that may need support as well as stretching. Just be gentle in all the stretches you do. don't go too far.

I have had pretty painful bouts of sciatica as well ~ but I just thought it was because everything just feels like it is too tense or tight. I definitely need to be stretching more. I think Yoga may be a great thing. I have done it before. I dunno why I didn't think of it now. I dunno if there is a pilates place here near me. Thanks for the advice :):)
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options

Things like cat, cow, camel, downward facing dog - pretty much the whole sun salutation will have an effect within a few practices. But don't be scared to use the gentler versions - I don't do full cobra, for example.

Totally agree...especially cat-cow for lower back pain.
  • musicale1
    Options
    1.lie flat on your back.
    2. lift RIGHT leg toward your head, bending at the knee, bring your knee ~slowly/steadily~ to your nose
    as you lift your head toward it
    (sort of like a modified, 'short-sit' sit-up).
    3. as your knee moves toward your head, and within reach of your hands, grasp your knee-pit with
    BOTH hands (elbows out, for leverage) and ~draw the knee slowly~ to your nose and touch it there and hold...hold...hold.
    4. Slowly, with relaxation, release and replace leg on floor.
    5. Repeat process with LEFT leg.

This can be done as slowly, and smoothly as necessary to fit your comfort.
    If you find stiffness too severe at first and you're not able to mentally/physically relax the lower back muscles yet (as there will be some pain in the slow stretch - you probably already know this), then try this prerequisite exercise.

1. lIe flat, with palms up & arms extended at angles away from the body (shallow angle).
    2. knees up, feet together, upperbody perfectly flat on your back.
    In this position do the following:
    (somewhat "mental" but also physical - it's a "perfect posture" exercise)
    a. rib cage up (like a Marine at attention)
    b. shoulders back & down(toward feet) - remembering to keep palms open upward toward ceiling, but flat on floor
    c. ears 'up' (as if holding your head up high & proud, as if in a standing position)
    d.lower back FLAT against floor (in other words...your spine is curved but you will flatten at the waist...including an
    ~Exhale~, then pull in your abdomen (suck in your gut) while exhaling slowly and deliberately till you feel small of your back
    completely flat against the floor...hold...hold....hold...then naturally inhale and relax complete body.

Do this at least four times, specifically and deliberately.

When you've done this for a few days, you'll see improvement and can build from there....
  • Queen_JessieA
    Options
    1.lie flat on your back.
    2. lift RIGHT leg toward your head, bending at the knee, bring your knee ~slowly/steadily~ to your nose
    as you lift your head toward it
    (sort of like a modified, 'short-sit' sit-up).
    3. as your knee moves toward your head, and within reach of your hands, grasp your knee-pit with
    BOTH hands (elbows out, for leverage) and ~draw the knee slowly~ to your nose and touch it there and hold...hold...hold.
    4. Slowly, with relaxation, release and replace leg on floor.
    5. Repeat process with LEFT leg.

This can be done as slowly, and smoothly as necessary to fit your comfort.
    If you find stiffness too severe at first and you're not able to mentally/physically relax the lower back muscles yet (as there will be some pain in the slow stretch - you probably already know this), then try this prerequisite exercise.

1. lIe flat, with palms up & arms extended at angles away from the body (shallow angle).
    2. knees up, feet together, upperbody perfectly flat on your back.
    In this position do the following:
    (somewhat "mental" but also physical - it's a "perfect posture" exercise)
    a. rib cage up (like a Marine at attention)
    b. shoulders back & down(toward feet) - remembering to keep palms open upward toward ceiling, but flat on floor
    c. ears 'up' (as if holding your head up high & proud, as if in a standing position)
    d.lower back FLAT against floor (in other words...your spine is curved but you will flatten at the waist...including an
    ~Exhale~, then pull in your abdomen (suck in your gut) while exhaling slowly and deliberately till you feel small of your back
    completely flat against the floor...hold...hold....hold...then naturally inhale and relax complete body.

Do this at least four times, specifically and deliberately.

When you've done this for a few days, you'll see improvement and can build from there....

Wow! Thanks for typing all that out! I will definitely give this a try, too :)
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I have two herneiated (sp?) discs in my lower back. I looooove me some child's pose. Still can't get my butt to touch my heels, but I'm getting closer.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so I can print it out later!